The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 02, 2002, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm getting a new chest protector and need some advice on the pros and cons of various protectors. I need the best protector for the heat that hits us here in the South, yet I don't want to sacrifice my clavicle because of a little sweat.

Any recommendations?

Old Fri Aug 02, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Honigs has the K1 Pro Elite that I now use and enjoy very much.

I had the +POS BB2000 and I enjoyed it but it was very hot when I was doing 4 or 5 games a day. I switched to the pro elite and haven't had any complaints yet. It is made of that hockey stuff which protects very well.

Both are about the same in price.
Old Fri Aug 02, 2002, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by svenskar

I'm getting a new chest protector and need some advice on the pros and cons of various protectors. I need the best protector for the heat that hits us here in the South, yet I don't want to sacrifice my clavicle because of a little sweat.

Any recommendations?

I can't say enough about the West Vest. IMO it offers maximum protection and also it is light. I have the Platinum model (a step down from the Gold one) and have no complaints. I've taken my share of shots with no effect.

Pete Booth

Old Fri Aug 02, 2002, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I just got my WV Gold when it was on sale at Honig's. It is extremely comfortable and I have haven't felt any of the shots I have taken. I got tired of getting bruised with my old pos bb203.

Ed H
Old Fri Aug 02, 2002, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
SVENSKAR - PETE B:

I too, like Pete, purchased the "new" platinum model of the West Vest this year (Feb 02) from Gerry Davis sports.
It's not a step down from the 'Gold' model, but a step up. It lists for 179.90 in the catalog, but I got it for about $166.

I've had other, earlier, models of the West Vest and I'm convinced they are the best on the market. The "Platinum" is well worth the money, and even more. It offers the very best protection available. However, it's not the 'coolest' product on the market. I would only offer the following thought for you to consider. Do you want to be cool, with some bruises, or possibly a little warmer than cool, but protected better with the best product on the market?

The 'platinum' model is the best ever, worth every penney. I've let 3 friends try it for one game each. They all bought one, they swear by it too.

[Edited by etbaseball on Aug 2nd, 2002 at 10:41 PM]
Old Sat Aug 03, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

$$$

How much did you want to spend? That will have a lot to do with which vest you get.
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by svenskar

Any recommendations?

I use the POS BB2000, but I've removed the breast pads to make it a little less bulky. I've also got a WV. With the BB2000 being the short version I like it much better. It seems to have a little greater flex than the old WV, but I can't comment on the new Gold and Platinum ones.

I did 2 plates today at 7 innings each. Temps were likely pushing 100 degrees. It was hot!!! In that heat, I find the wetness of the T-shirt underneath to be the determining factor. That's what helps to keep me cool. I doubt if there's any significant difference in the protectors once it's that hot outside. That's what you also face in the South.

I need the best protector for the heat that hits us here in the South

So....who sweats more at 100 degrees: a skinny ump or a fat ump?
It doesn't really matter because they're both going to be dripping before the day is over.

Buy the protection and fit to meet your need.
I sure like the "short" protector much better than a long one. It takes some getting accustomed to, but once you've grown secure with it then it seems a lot less bulky.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I, too, like the WV Platinum. I found it for $140 at
http://www.batterschoice.com.

I've also found if you can find a CoolMax shirt of any kind to wear under the protector, try it. I raced bicycles for years, and CoolMax jerseys were wonderful. I tried one once to see if it would work, and now I'm hooked.

Kyle
Old Tue Aug 06, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
West Vest chest protectors all the way. I have the original West Vest and I LOVE it. I have also worn the off-brand Wilson version of the West Vest and that works well also.
But, buy the West Vest you will not be disappointed.