The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   "FED Legal" Baseballs (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55347-fed-legal-baseballs.html)

piaa_ump Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:14am

or my all time worst....

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 636146)
Thank your lucky stars and/or the deity of your choosing.

AD Starr.......can be had with the NFHS and all other youth ball orgs markings as well....but all in all a crap baseball......by the second inning they will bear no markings at all ... the leather will be turned to suede......by the third inning, they will be noticebly soft and oft times out of round.......

Kevin Finnerty Mon Nov 16, 2009 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 636146)
Thank your lucky stars and/or the deity of your choosing.

Man speaks truth. Of the ones I have seen, the Pro 9 is discernibly the worst feeling, worst performing baseball (I'll take your word on the Baden). The Pro 9 is also about the cheapest.

And the one school around here that uses them exclusively is a school that sits in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in America.

RPatrino Mon Nov 16, 2009 05:58pm

Just a thought, maybe we should be spending less time worrying about our balls??

SanDiegoSteve Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPatrino (Post 636505)
Just a thought, maybe we should be spending less time worrying about our balls??

Speak for yourself, I use a Shock Doctor Carbon Flex myself.:eek:

UmpJM Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 636569)
Speak for yourself, I use a Shock Doctor Carbon Flex myself.:eek:

Steve,

Well, then you've got nothing to worry about!

Fuhhgedaboutit already. :rolleyes:

JM

Publius Tue Nov 17, 2009 02:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 636137)
I am familiar with other baseballs from youth league play but all I recall from HS play is Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings. AD Starr makes some good balls. I have seen Baden (rare though), but I have never seen a Pro-Nine ball.

Come on, Deej, you CAN'T think Starrs are good. I know your son played NCBA baseball, so you're familiar with A.D. Starr (the official ball of the league; by league rule, failure to use it is protestable and grounds for forfeit). I've worked that league since 2002, and I've never seen a worse ball--even Pro-Nines are better, and they stink. Starr is based in PA, so I'll bet piaa ump knows of what he speaks on that issue--particularly since he describes what I experience, too.

I'm like Finnerty when I work NCBA; I buy 3-4 dozen extras every year for my plate jobs. I always bring 4 (7 inning game) or 6 (9 inning) with me to add to the 4 the teams provide. Almost always, every one of them ends up in the practice bucket because they aren't salvageable at game's end for use in another game.

For adult players, there may be serviceable baseballs other than Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings, but I've never seen one.

PeteBooth Tue Nov 17, 2009 04:03pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 635248)
Gentlemen,

FED Rule 1-3-1 clearly and unequivocally states:

"The NFHS Authenticating mark is required on all balls that will be used in high school competition."

If you are working a FED game as the UIC and there are no baseballs available at the game site with the required Authenticating Mark, though there is an ample supply of baseballs that appear to be otherwise perfectly suitable, what do you do?

Thanks.

JM

JM

Depends upon what state you are from

In my area we had a protest upheld because the wrong baseball were used.

I was not involved in the game but around the 3 - 4th inning the VT coach lodged a protest that the proper baseballs were not being used. The game continued. The protest was upheld and the game was replayed in it's entirety.

You asked "what do you do?

I would call over the AD (if available) of the home school along with the coaches. if the VT coach (In HS the Home school supplies the baseballs) objected, I would then call my HS assignor to get clarification.

In other words, I would not start the game unless i got the ok from the "powers that be" because we already had a protest upheld because the wrong baseballs were used.

Therefore, it depends upon the state you live in and protest procedures if any that apply.

Pete Booth

DG Tue Nov 17, 2009 09:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Publius (Post 636585)
Come on, Deej, you CAN'T think Starrs are good.

For adult players, there may be serviceable baseballs other than Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings, but I've never seen one.

Starr, like others, make different quality balls, the ones I have seen are pretty good. Every Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings ball I have seen are not the best quality.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 636806)
Starr, like others, make different quality balls, the ones I have seen are pretty good. Every Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings ball I have seen are not the best quality.

Even the Rawlings Major League Baseball? I get these quite often, and they are the real deal.

MrUmpire Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:34am

Here's the problem with inconsistent quality of "FED" baseballs as opposed to MLB baseballs.

MLB has set standards and randomly tests balls that bear the MLB logo and are used in MLB.

The only standard FED enforces on those balls that bear the FED stamp is whether or not the check cleared.

Any company willing to pay for the right to use the FED logo, no matter what piece of crap they produce, may do so.

UmpJM Wed Nov 18, 2009 07:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 636837)
Here's the problem with inconsistent quality of "FED" baseballs as opposed to MLB baseballs.

MLB has set standards and randomly tests balls that bear the MLB logo and are used in MLB.

The only standard FED enforces on those balls that bear the FED stamp is whether or not the check cleared.

Any company willing to pay for the right to use the FED logo, no matter what piece of crap they produce, may do so.

MrUmpire,

I believe the FED also requires that the vendor alledges that the balls conform to FED specs regarding weight, circumference, and COR specifications.

JM

jkumpire Wed Nov 18, 2009 07:55pm

Imo

It's simple to me.

If the game is close between two good teams, make sure the game balls are good.

If the game is not close between a good team and a bad team, make sure the bad team plays defense using the soft, spongy game balls. If the good team is on defense, let them use the harder better game balls.

Anything to get the game over ASAP, so there is more tim for root beers after the contest! :cool:

Publius Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 636806)
Starr, like others, make different quality balls,... Every Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings ball I have seen are not the best quality.

True that, but the NCBA balls are Starr's top-of-the-line model, and they are junk after two innings. None of the teams I work for use them for non-league play. I can't imagine how poor they are down the line.

Steve, I think he meant, "Not every Diamond, Wilson and Rawlings ball I have seen is the best quality." That's true, too, particularly with Wilson in my experience.

DG Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 636831)
Even the Rawlings Major League Baseball? I get these quite often, and they are the real deal.

My last post on baseballs, as this has gotten boring. I don't work any games where the Rawlings Major League Baseballs are used. I do work some games where very good Rawlings baseballs are used.

Most high schools around here use Diamond D1 or Wilson 1010 and they are very good.

MrUmpire Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 637020)
MrUmpire,

I believe the FED also requires that the vendor alledges that the balls conform to FED specs regarding weight, circumference, and COR specifications.

JM

I can see where I was a bit unclear...my point is that FED does not eforce their requirements and, the last I knew, did not conduct random tests of any of the various manufacturer's products. They are primarily interested in the revenue generated by selling the rights to their logo and are minimally, if at all, interested in the quality of items that bear that logo.