The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Hey! A Baseball Question! (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/55278-hey-baseball-question.html)

JJ Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:06pm

Hey! A Baseball Question!

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Fly ball. R3 thinking there were less than two outs goes back to 3rd to tag up, coach seeing that the smart runner at 2nd is about to pass R3 pushes him (R3) off toward home. RF drops the flyball in right center, allowing R2 to score. Question is does the run count or not? R3 is out for coaches interference, but is it a delayed dead ball? How would you administer this?

JJ

zm1283 Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:22pm

If R3 is out, how would it be possible for R2 to score? The DDB only exists in FED, and that wouldn't even apply to this situation. As soon as I see the 3B coach assist R3, I call him out and the inning is over. Is there some other way to administer this?

Rich Ives Tue Nov 03, 2009 07:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 634441)
Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs. Fly ball. R3 thinking there were less than two outs goes back to 3rd to tag up, coach seeing that the smart runner at 2nd is about to pass R3 pushes him (R3) off toward home. RF drops the flyball in right center, allowing R2 to score. Question is does the run count or not? R3 is out for coaches interference, but is it a delayed dead ball? How would you administer this?

JJ

R3 is immediately out - ending the inning.

If there had been less than 2 outs R3 would be immediately out but play would continue.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 03, 2009 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 634448)

If there had been less than 2 outs R3 would be immediately out but play would continue.

Agreed. Curious as to why JJ is posting this. Maybe there's a "trick" I'm not seeing.

JJ Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:32pm

Nope, no trick. Just thought it was time to post a baseball question, so I did - albeit a fairly easy one.

JJ

SanDiegoSteve Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 634471)
Nope, no trick. Just thought it was time to post a baseball question, so I did - albeit a fairly easy one.

JJ

A baseball question...now there's a novel idea!:)

bossman72 Wed Nov 18, 2009 01:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 634453)
Agreed. Curious as to why JJ is posting this. Maybe there's a "trick" I'm not seeing.

R2 would be sent back to the base occupied at the time of the interference.

Ump153 Wed Nov 18, 2009 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 636935)

From the OP:

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs.

Rich Ives Wed Nov 18, 2009 02:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 636935)

No. In this case the ball remains live and play continues.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 18, 2009 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 636967)
No. In this case the ball remains live and play continues.

Depends on the rules code, I think (but it's basketball season, so the baseball section of my brain is in hibernation).

dash_riprock Wed Nov 18, 2009 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 634446)
The DDB only exists in FED

It exists in all codes, they just don't call it the way FED does.

Umpmazza Wed Nov 18, 2009 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 634448)

actually on a coach assist play... the ball is live and you wait for the outcome of the play.. then call time.. and interference...cause if R3 is thrown out then we dont have interference right?

bob jenkins Wed Nov 18, 2009 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 636984)
actually on a coach assist play... the ball is live and you wait for the outcome of the play.. then call time.. and interference...cause if R3 is thrown out then we dont have interference right?

No. The assisted runner is out immediately. The ball remains live (at least for a while) for (at least) plays on the other runners.

JJ Wed Nov 18, 2009 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 636985)
No. The assisted runner is out immediately. The ball remains live (at least for a while) for (at least) plays on the other runners.

Yep, and if there were less than two out the runners would end up where they end up - they don't get sent back to where they were at the time of the interference. That allows the defense to make plays on them.

JJ

UmpJM Wed Nov 18, 2009 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 636992)
Yep, and if there were less than two out the runners would end up where they end up - they don't get sent back to where they were at the time of the interference. That allows the defense to make plays on them.

JJ

JJ,

Except in FED of course, where the defense may still get additional outs following the infraction, but remaining runners are returned to their TOI(nfraction) base.

JM