The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   29F tomorrow at game time (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54974-29f-tomorrow-game-time.html)

RogersUmp Sat Oct 10, 2009 07:52pm

29F tomorrow at game time

I just called both coaches of a game scheduled here for 10:00 AM tomorrow. The predicted temp at game time is 29 F and neither coach wants to cancel. Dedicated?! I'm guessing we'll all show up and no one want to play. At least the home coach is going to stop in at the field at 8:30. What is the coldest temperature any of you have started a game?

RPatrino Sat Oct 10, 2009 08:33pm

Here in Northern (SF Bay area) California, maybe 45 degrees? For here, that's cold. The guys in So Cal have it easy, it's never below 65 there.

mick Sat Oct 10, 2009 08:49pm

...A few years ago, 32 degrees with wet, blowing snow at Finlandia University in Hancock, Michigan. 1st of 2.

RogersUmp Sat Oct 10, 2009 08:56pm

No precip and no wind expected.

It's supposed to warm up to 40 by game 2 at noon and 43 by game 4 at 4:00. I'll report on how things go. I'm guessing there will be someone in shorts and a parka.

Too bad the Twins are still in the dome...ya think they would enjoy playing outside on Sunday!

BEAREF Sat Oct 10, 2009 08:56pm

I think that the bat manufactures warranty (aluminum bats) is void if used below temperatures of 40 degrees. At least that's what a coach told me this spring when we started a game when the temp was 38 degrees.

RogersUmp Sat Oct 10, 2009 09:01pm

Don't tell the players...

They will all be trying to break them. Haul out the wood bats!!

tjones1 Sat Oct 10, 2009 09:24pm

It was about 30 degrees with the wind and snow blowing. Good and fun times. ;) :cool:

Matt Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogersUmp (Post 630153)
I just called both coaches of a game scheduled here for 10:00 AM tomorrow. The predicted temp at game time is 29 F and neither coach wants to cancel. Dedicated?! I'm guessing we'll all show up and no one want to play. At least the home coach is going to stop in at the field at 8:30. What is the coldest temperature any of you have started a game?

28, with freezing rain.

It would suck to be you (and I mean that in the most empathetic way possible.) At 10, I'll be pulling into Cabela's to get some new clothes for deer hunting.

ozzy6900 Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogersUmp (Post 630153)

So what? This is Fall Ball, remember? I remember doing a game with the sun shining, then it started drizzling. the drizzle turned to sleet, then snow.

kylejt Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:35pm

I thought about wearing my long sleeved jersey this morning for my 9am game, but it was too warm already.

Dang, I never get to wear any of my cool stuff until February, when it drips below 60.

Kevin Finnerty Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BEAREF (Post 630165)
I think that the bat manufactures warranty (aluminum bats) is void if used below temperatures of 40 degrees. At least that's what a coach told me this spring when we started a game when the temp was 38 degrees.

I would have told him to use expired bats.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:32am

72 and breezy today....brrrr. :)

DonInKansas Sun Oct 11, 2009 08:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 630177)

Dang, I never get to wear any of my cool stuff until February, when it drips below 60.

Sleeves at 60 degrees? Pansy. :p

My worst was 38 degrees and 25 mph wind straight out of the north. Brutal.

JJ Sun Oct 11, 2009 05:39pm

29 degrees. The team from Illinois wanted to play; the team from Atlanta did not. They played. The Atlanta team swept a pair a one-run ballgames.
It was so cold at the start that the spray paint cans they used to paint the foul lines froze - we told them if there were no lines they couldn't argue fair/foul. There weren't. They didn't.

JJ

RogersUmp Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:39pm

Not so cold.

The home coach called me at 8:30 to report that the field was in good condtion. I arrived at the field at 9:40 and both teams were ready. This is the last weekend of fall ball and firstplace was still on the line. Game time temp was 33 and the hosts got 10-runned in 5. There were light flurries during the 3rd and 4th innings. Game 2 started at noon and it had warmed up to 35. Another one-sided 5 inning ballgame. No games three or four as one team could not get more than 7 players and didn't make the trip.

Done until HS ball starts again in April.