The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robert
Happened today:
I was in the field, r1 r3, 1 out bottom of the last with the Home team up by one. Batter hit a line drive to F3. F3 catches it cleanly, but then he promptly turns his glove over, realsing the ball. He picks it up throws to second, F6 throws it back to first for the apparant double paly, in the meantime R3 touches home plate. After F3 "misses" the ball I call the Batter-Runner out and R1 safe at second because there was no force play and f6 didn't tag him. My PU called R3 safe at home. Of course the Deffensive coach came out to argue. He went back to the dugout. But then F3 said "nice call blue, not!" I said "if you wanna keep playing, be quiet." he responded with "ya, I'd like to see that," well needless to say he didn't play the rest of the game, which lasted into the 15th inning when the Visitig team won.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by robert
Happened today:
I was in the field, r1 r3, 1 out bottom of the last with the Home team up by one. Batter hit a line drive to F3. F3 catches it cleanly, but then he promptly turns his glove over, realsing the ball. He picks it up throws to second, F6 throws it back to first for the apparant double paly, in the meantime R3 touches home plate. After F3 "misses" the ball I call the Batter-Runner out and R1 safe at second because there was no force play and f6 didn't tag him. My PU called R3 safe at home. Of course the Deffensive coach came out to argue. He went back to the dugout. But then F3 said "nice call blue, not!" I said "if you wanna keep playing, be quiet." he responded with "ya, I'd like to see that," well needless to say he didn't play the rest of the game, which lasted into the 15th inning when the Visitig team won.
Intentionally dropped ball. Batter is out; runners return.

OBR 6.05(l)
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Happened today:
I was in the field, r1 r3, 1 out bottom of the last with the Home team up by one.

Robert

1 question? if the HT is leading by 1 run why are they batting in the bottom of the last inning. Perhaps you meant to say bottom of 6 (for a 7 inning game) or bottom of 8 for 9 inning game.

In any event I disagree with your ruling:

F3 catches it cleanly, but then he promptly turns his glove over, releasing the ball. He picks it up throws to second, F6 throws it back to first for the apparant double paly,

Sounds to me like F3 INTENTIONALLY dropped the ball in order to get 2, therefore, here's the rule I would have used.

OBR 6.05 A batter is out when_

(l) An infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball or line drive, with first, first and second, first and third, or first, second and third base occupied before two are out. The ball is dead and runner or runners shall return to their original base or bases;

Therefore, on this play I have B1 out, r1 returned to first base.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well thats what I get for reading only half the rule. And I meant that the Visiting team was ahead. Looks like I blew that call. O well.
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Good catch here - - -
1 question? if the HT is leading by 1 run why are they batting in the bottom of the last inning.

But about this - - -
Therefore, on this play I have B1 out, r1 returned to first base.

Doesn't R3 go back too?
Old Fri Jul 26, 2002, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Rog
Did you not read the second thing I wrote?
Old Sat Jul 27, 2002, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

"Well thats what I get for reading only half the rule."

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Bob
Old Sat Jul 27, 2002, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rog
Did you not read the second thing I wrote?
yes - what are you getting at?????