The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

In a recent thread, the poster asked what are the differencies between FED and LL. That thread turned out to be mostly a discussion concerning Volunteer Umpires vs. Paid Umpires so I thought I would keep the ball rolling and make that subject it's own centerpiece

ASSUMPTION: Whether you get paid or Volunteer, one has a desire and "loves" to umpire. I'm going to stay away from the "novice" umpire during this discussion. Basically your "novice" umpire is an umpire who is needed, but only wants to give 1 maybe 2 games a week to their local LL organization and once their kids are finsihed with the program one will no longer see this person.

Here's my opinion on paid vs. Volunteer.

1. FEES. ( I know some Blues are in it for the money only), but generally speaking it's easier on the home front if:

A. You take your wife, significant other, girlfriend etc.
out to dinner on the game FEE you just earned vs. coming home from a long day at the field and say "hey hun I'm tired what's for dinner" Also, I don't know about you but I receive ONE HS check at the end of the season and I use that to:

1. Upgrade my equipment and
2. Take the family on a nice vacation

2. Time consuming: If you take umpiring serious and love to umpire it takes time and effort which translates into 1. Training (possibly attending a clinic), 2. umpiring many games and 3. attending meetings. Again very difficult to explain to the wife and kids when it's for FREE.

3. Cost of equipment. For all those who answered saying they look professional and have your own equipment, it's my gut that you also either umpire HS or other leagues that do pay (so you can afford it)

4. Human Nature - I started out at LL myself and umpired many games and then you learn that so and so is getting paid $40-$50 bucks a game and you say to your self "Self I can do that" so it's human nature to try and advance and if there are other leagues that pay it's really hard to keep a good solid crop of Volunteers together.

Unless you are single and on your own, umpiring in addition to being something we love is also a family committment. When the family shares in your success, IMO it's much easier to take a game assignment.

So to me getting paid vs. Volunteer isn't so much as demeaning those who volunteer but more of a practicality issue. GOOD umpire equipment (which includes shirts / pants and accessories) costs money and unless you are well to do, one cannot afford it.

Also, when one is talking about Volunteer Umpires it's IMO a Organization to organization type analysis, meaning some LL associations have a good UIC who provides training and guidance whereas some organizations simply put equipment on home plate and let the teams fend for themselves .

What are your opinions?

Pete Booth
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking It depends on who the Umpire is......

I believe it depends on your specific situation. Those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to choose freely probably go more toward the "paid" grouping. However, some of us also like to umpire well enough to do it gratis.

Our local Little League is fortunate enough to have some of the area's best umpires in their ranks. All of these folks volunteer their time and efforts to benefit those teams and players involved when doing Little League games.

These same folks can be seen doing AAU, Legion, Cal Ripken, High School, and College games in which they receive pay. When asked why they volunteer some of their efforts, they will tell you that they enjoy umpiring enough to spread their talents wherever they can be utilized. If they are recruited to do "paid" games, fine, but they will also work the Little League games as volunteers.

I probably worked sixty (seventy-five including Districts and Sectionals) Little League games this past season for water, All-Sport, and Burgers. I also worked sixteen High School games, and Twenty AAU games for pay. I do no better or worse in either the paid or unpaid games. I obviously will accept money for my efforts when offerred, but I enjoy umpiring enough to do it without compensation.

Senior
Old Sat Jul 20, 2002, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Pete: I began umpiring because I thought my local LL (10-12)
needed ADULT umpires in addition to the teens (who were getting constantly berated). So, I decided to do it right and take an umpire clinic and get certified (so I would know more than the coaches). First thing I knew, I'm doing JV HS games and making $$. I put up with so much BS from the LL people (while learning the ropes) that eventually I refused to do any of their games. I kept plugging along with HS, then the summer SR and JR LL and adult leagues.

Eight years later, I do HS at all levels, Legion, AAU, many youth leagues, adults, special tournaments, have attended several camps/clinics, and have been evaluated and learned from several college umpires. Now, all my small diamond is volunteer (LL) but I get paid for all big diamond. It pays for my excellent equipment and clothing. I have a bittersweet feeling about LL, as it got me into umpiring, but then cut me down as I learned. I volunteer small diamond, mostly, to contribute to my community (and ones nearby). However, I am thankful that I get paid for all other levels, and am proud that I have the skill and ability to be where I am today.

Lastly, I would encourage anyone interested in becoming a serious umpire to go beyond the LL experience. Join the local HS association, and work all the games you can at all levels. Go to clinics and check out books and websites that give you info. You can become as good as you desire, with self-education, and games under your belt. Seek out partners who have good habits, and know what they are doing. Find the best, and learn from them.
Old Sun Jul 21, 2002, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Unlike the other thread, which really was insulting to LL umps, I don't read anything here I disagree with. My experience is very similar to Marty's. When I started umpiring, it was not for the money, but rather, it was something that the community really needed and that I thought I would enjoy doing. It made me feel good to help the kids out and, considering the pointlessness of most of our work lives, that was something that had a lot of value at the time.

Pete - a couple of points to make to what you said:
1) In the local league where I work, while they do not pay umpires directly, they will reimburse $20 a game after the first 8 games that you call for equipment purchases. My first year, I was able to pick up $700 worth of equipment this way which got me off to a good start.

2) My family never had a problem with it because we all love baseball. My wife and kids used to frequently come out to watch the games that I was calling just for the fun of it. We never considered it a sacrifice or anything that took away from the family. My kids now want to get trained up as junior umps which we will be able to do together. Now, golf is a different story.

3) See point 1 on the equipment.

4) No question that this one is an issue. In our league, we have been lucky that we seem to have a pretty good crop of new guys coming in every year and some pretty good training programs. We also maintain good relationships with the more experienced guys who do higher levels who started out with us and they still do a game or two per week. So it works out pretty well.

No matter how high I go, I will always try to do some LL ball. Partially, I feel obligated to them for giving me a place to start from, but mostly, I look at the kids who are just trying to have fun and realize that they are better off with good umps than bad ones. I consider it my contribution to our community.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I didn't mean to insult anyone in the other thread. I was stating an opinion based on my experiences in my area. I am not going to go into the borin details, I will just say that the "off the street volunteer" did not work out well.
I'll remember to take a country-wide survey before I answer another question!!

by the way, I also volunteer my services in helping to train young people to become umpires (paid umpires).
I assist with the rules training and this year I helped my local LL association by holding a field training classes. One of those classes took place less than one week of being discharged from the hospital after having a heart attack! I turned out some pretty good students this year. I followed up on their progress with the umpire in chief and she informed me that they were doing well.
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

good point

From aceholleran on the other thread:

"You "vols" out there, I maintain: Get your patch; don't just ump LL; see a real slider; learn 90-foot mechanics; get an inside chest prtotector and a fitted hat. Put your indicator in the left hand and don't say, "High, ball one." Then come back and do LL for free. I do."

I, too, caught the "fever" volunteering for LL because they were in desperate need of umpires. As my father taught me, if you are going to do something, do it well and do it right. So, I have learned a great deal from many, more experience umpires this past year. So much so, that I was invited to do some tournament work. I am learning proper mechanics, have the proper gear, and dress the part. I will be attending all the clinics, classes, and meetings I can find during the off-season to prepare for next year. And, I have been told I have the right personality for the job.

Even though, like Mr. Brand, I was offended by many statements made on the other thread, I agree with the statements made here and the one made by Ace on the other thread (quoted above). Little League does not provide you with all the tools you need to be a good umpire. It IS important to attend all the clinics you can, join an association, and learn the other levels. I look forward to becoming the best I can be, and you all on this board have already taught me so much more...

Maybe I'll be working with you someday, somewhere...
Old Mon Jul 22, 2002, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: good point

...I have been told I have the right personality for the job....

Striker991: I admire your enthusiasm and desire to learn more and improve. I just wonder what "personality" is required for the job? I have met and/or worked with umpires from many states and many levels (LL through professional) and their personalities vary widely.

I would suspect that what you actually have is the right "attitude" and "motivation" for the job. Good luck in your vocation.

Old Tue Jul 23, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Pete - I agree with your observations about the "realities" of being youth ball umpire. In my case, I have adopted an approach where I get "paid" for HS ball and all games outside of my community. When I umpire for my local Babe Ruth association, I am doing community service.

My wife does not quite understand my philosphy as she believes I should "volunteer" for the HS games and get paid for local games. Her rationale is that HS sports programs are facing severe funding problems while local youth programs are discretionary and the parents can pay the additional cost of umpires. Either way she does not object when we are able to get out to dinner with my game fees.
Old Sat Jul 27, 2002, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to blarson
My "vol" games have landed me quite a few paid games ....

I'm fortunate enough to be in an organization that has some well placed, much respected and knowledgable umpires.

My "vol" experience locally has put me in touch with guys who also to college, CWB and Independent Leauge (AL) ball. These umpires come out and also evalutate us.

I've gotten some great knowledge from working and being evalutated by them. Also each year I pick up quite a few well paid games through my "vol" connections.

My other "vol" experience was CDP. Here I've meet umpires from many vast experiences. A LL guy going to the LLWS, guys in the CBUA and guys who have been or are pro. I think I learned more about game management in a week than I could in three seasons.

Do I shiver when I'm see the guy in jeans and shins outside, hat backwards etc? Sure but I've also met some of the best umpires I can now call my friend through volunteer umpiring.

A happy mix of volunteer and paid works well for me.

Bob