The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 03:17am
Official Forum Member

Question

We had a discussion about this one, and I would like to get your opinion.
If a pitcher does the stretch, can he step off during the stretch or not. So if he is bend forward to look into the signs of the catcher and he starts to go back to bring his hand together. Can he step off befor bringing his hands together? When is he allowed to step off?

Thanks

Raoul
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 04:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Gold_Spark Send a message via Yahoo to Gold_Spark
Anytime

Off the top of my head . . . he's allowed to step off anytime before he starts his delivery to the plate.
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

The pitcher is not required, by rule, to stretch but if he does, it must be without interruption and in one continuous motion {OBR 8.01(b)}.

I have not seen an interp on this but I believe that if he steps off DURING the stretch he has ENDED the stretch and has fullfilled his obligation to stretch without interruption and in one continuous motion. Makes sense to me. G.

[Edited by Gee on Jul 24th, 2002 at 09:54 AM]
Old Wed Jul 24, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mach3
We had a discussion about this one, and I would like to get your opinion.
If a pitcher does the stretch, can he step off during the stretch or not. So if he is bend forward to look into the signs of the catcher and he starts to go back to bring his hand together. Can he step off befor bringing his hands together? When is he allowed to step off?

Thanks

Raoul
The pitcher may step backward off the rubber with his pivot foot anytime before, during, or after coming set provided he has not committed any action to commit him to pitch.

Also, while coming set, he may step and throw to a base at anytime without being required to come to a stop. The only time he is required to come to a complete stop is prior to delivering a pitch.

Some people confuse these points thinking anytime a pitcher starts his motion to stretch that he must continue until he comes to a complete stop.

This applies under all sets of rules.

Just my opinion,

Freix