The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   How to "Call" a ball not caught (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54416-how-call-ball-not-caught.html)

Shmuelg Mon Aug 24, 2009 09:14am

How to "Call" a ball not caught

I had this problem last night:

One out, R1 and R2. Rec ball, but the guys kind of take it seriously.

Batter hits a line drive to the shortstop. The ball hits the ground briefly (for a millisecond), and then goes into the SS's glove. No question in my mind, but it was a question in the mind of many of the fielders and runners.

I didn't call anything, didn't say the batter is out, didn't say "hey guys, run", or anything like that. Just kind of looked at the SS, and waited for things to happen.

They did. After a couple of moments, the SS figured out what was going on, and tagged R2, who had come off of the base, but was confused as to whether to run or not. SS then took two steps to second base, stepped on it, and I called R1 out. He had not run (he was confused, too).

I felt sorry for all of the confusion, and it would have been nice to make some sort of call that made everything clear right away, but I don't know what I should have done? Point to the ground? Call "fair ball" (OK, that was a joke, I'm not really asking that), or something else?

Tim C Mon Aug 24, 2009 09:28am

Well,

I guess I am confused:

Why didn't you give a safe sign and voice, "No Catch."

Maybe others here will correct me.

Shmuelg Mon Aug 24, 2009 09:31am

hmmmm . . . good idea. Rats I didn't think of it on the field.

bob jenkins Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 622039)
I guess I am confused:

Agreed.

Ump Rube Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:30am

Yes, I agree. Signal "safe," and verbalize "no catch."

If F6 tried to, and is, selling that he caught the ball on the fly, it can be appropriate to point to the ground to further sell your call. But use this sparingly, I had a partner do this on every call, and when he had a close one, he never "another level" to take it to.

ozzy6900 Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmuelg (Post 622044)
hmmmm . . . good idea. Rats I didn't think of it on the field.

You didn't........ Groan!
Never mind!

jdmara Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 622039)
I guess I am confused:

Typically I don't even say catch. I give the safe sign and say "No!...No!" Although occasionally I do say "No Catch"

-Josh

Fritz Mon Aug 24, 2009 02:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 622071)
Typically I don't even say catch. I give the safe sign and say "No!...No!" Although occasionally I do say "No Catch"

-Josh

Go with Tim's suggestion and say "No Catch" it removes any doubt. Similar to potential interference/obstruction calls on a runner/fielder. It you don't have anything, go ahead and signal safe and say "That's nothing" so everyone knows. It saves you from having the players stop or delay their next action wondering if you were going to call something, and then the coaches go nuts because your silence contributed to the problem.

Better "safe" than sorry.

SanDiegoSteve Mon Aug 24, 2009 03:06pm

I thought the safe signal combined with the call of "no catch" was pretty basic Umpiring 101 for any close catch/no catch situation.

:confused:

zm1283 Mon Aug 24, 2009 03:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fritz (Post 622104)
Go with Tim's suggestion and say "No Catch" it removes any doubt. Similar to potential interference/obstruction calls on a runner/fielder. It you don't have anything, go ahead and signal safe and say "That's nothing" so everyone knows. It saves you from having the players stop or delay their next action wondering if you were going to call something, and then the coaches go nuts because your silence contributed to the problem.

Better "safe" than sorry.

Are you saying to give the "safe" signal when you DON'T have obstruction/interference?

I've never heard of this.

johnnyg08 Mon Aug 24, 2009 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 622108)
Are you saying to give the "safe" signal when you DON'T have obstruction/interference?

I've never heard of this.

It tells the teams that you saw it and it's nothing.

ozzy6900 Mon Aug 24, 2009 05:03pm

My, My! It seems that what some of us take for granted as the "basic teachings" of umpiring seem to have eluded many of the posters here. I am amazed because these signals (catch/no catch, action seen but no interference or obstruction) are taught in our clinics and must be mastered by our students. I know because I am the one that teaches these!

jwwashburn Mon Aug 24, 2009 05:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 622071)

-Josh

Same here. I quit using the word 'catch' a few years ago because it sometimes caused confusion. I do not think I have anyone confused by a big safe sign and "NO!"

jicecone Mon Aug 24, 2009 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmuelg (Post 622034)
I had this problem last night:

The ball hits the ground briefly (for a millisecond), and then goes into the SS's glove. No question in my mind, but it was a question in the mind of many of the fielders and runners.

Why do you have to explain how long it hit the ground are you trying to convince us that maybe it just could of not, hit the ground. Is there a chance that everyone except you saw it differently. Not trying to be a wise guy here, I have just found that some people tend to explain things with a little more detail, when they are trying to convince others of what they saw.

Besides that, I agree with the crowd here, verbalize "no catch" and take the worry out of being close.

jdmara Mon Aug 24, 2009 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 622127)
Same here. I quit using the word 'catch' a few years ago because it sometimes caused confusion. I do not think I have anyone confused by a big safe sign and "NO!"

That's my take. If I don't have to say catch, then I don't. "No!..No!" gets the idea across.

-Josh