The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Different Move to First Question

Right handed pitcher, R1, NCAA rule set (prob. doesn't matter though)

This is strange, never seen it before, I was in the stands but the other four umps on the field (champ. series) didn't call anything and were questioning it themselves during and following the game. Like I said, I've never seen a pitcher ever do this move.

RHP come set. pauses/holds R1. F1 then takes his free foot (left) and reaches back with it towards first. It would be like a reverse LHP step, but heel first or as if he was doing a backwards lunge. As the foot lands he turns and throws to first. He didn't pick his foot up in the air like a normal delivery and then open up towards first. He just lifted and slid his foot straight back towards first.

Is this legal but just strange to see? He did get the runner to take off for second and they finished him off there.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
Right handed pitcher, R1, NCAA rule set (prob. doesn't matter though)

This is strange, never seen it before, I was in the stands but the other four umps on the field (champ. series) didn't call anything and were questioning it themselves during and following the game. Like I said, I've never seen a pitcher ever do this move.

RHP come set. pauses/holds R1. F1 then takes his free foot (left) and reaches back with it towards first. It would be like a reverse LHP step, but heel first or as if he was doing a backwards lunge. As the foot lands he turns and throws to first. He didn't pick his foot up in the air like a normal delivery and then open up towards first. He just lifted and slid his foot straight back towards first.

Is this legal but just strange to see? He did get the runner to take off for second and they finished him off there.
I believe that is legal, since he "stepped" toward first base. But he has to throw to first or be guilty of a balk. If he didn't throw to first, but second base instead, (without disengaging) I would balk him. And once he does that "slide-step" to first, he can't disengage--he has to throw to first....IMHO
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
F1

gained distance and direction.

Nothing.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12 View Post
Is this legal but just strange to see?
I've got it as legal under all codes.

As a general rule, if an action isn't listed / described as illegal in the rules book, it's legal. And, this one doesn't seem to violate any of the balk rules.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:34am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
As a general rule, if an action isn't listed / described as illegal in the rules book, it's legal. And, this one doesn't seem to violate any of the balk rules.
I like that advice. It took me awhile to come to grips with the fact that if it's not in the rule book as illegal, then it's probably legal.