The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Cubs Rockies (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54268-cubs-rockies.html)

mrm21711 Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 619755)
I saw the replay of the play Gucc dumped Lou...he missed it badly. He appeared to be in the right position...just blew it.

If you watch the video Chris doesnt make the call quickly or anything - I just think in his mind as the play happened he said in his head "Im going to give that to him."

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 11, 2009 01:15am

correct...i didn't see him make a call either.

SanDiegoSteve Tue Aug 11, 2009 02:05am

The runner should have stayed on the base and asked Guccione why he was being called out and see how that got explained. I sure don't know why. Piniella wanted to know why too.

Rich Tue Aug 11, 2009 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619876)
The runner should have stayed on the base and asked Guccione why he was being called out and see how that got explained. I sure don't know why. Piniella wanted to know why too.

That would get two people ejected. Why would an umpire have to explain anything like this to a player, right or wrong?

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 11, 2009 08:39am

well, he didn't make a call...he could ask if he was safe or out...

Rich Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 619887)
well, he didn't make a call...he could ask if he was safe or out...

Sure, I would give another out signal then. Then what?

johnnyg08 Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:18am

run the manager

SanDiegoSteve Tue Aug 11, 2009 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 619882)
That would get two people ejected. Why would an umpire have to explain anything like this to a player, right or wrong?

No reason (other than to not be being an arrogant as$), but if I were the player, I'd want to know how he came up with such a bonehead call. "Why was I out?" sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I normally call people out because they are out. What's Guccione going to say in this situation? He couldn't possibly have really not known he kicked it immediately after he made the call.

When I kick one that bad, I may say, "you know what, I could have messed up there." I'm not in favor of always apologizing for calls, but when you obviously miss something like this, sometimes that keeps players and managers in the game. If he had told Pinhead this when he came out, maybe he wouldn't have gotten run.

Rich Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619899)
No reason (other than to not be being an arrogant as$), but if I were the player, I'd want to know how he came up with such a bonehead call. "Why was I out?" sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I normally call people out because they are out. What's Guccione going to say in this situation? He couldn't possibly have really not known he kicked it immediately after he made the call.

When I kick one that bad, I may say, "you know what, I could have messed up there." I'm not in favor of always apologizing for calls, but when you obviously miss something like this, sometimes that keeps players and managers in the game. If he had told Pinhead this when he came out, maybe he wouldn't have gotten run.

If a player asked that, he'd be asking it to my back. I'd make that call and go right to my next position.

Look, there are times when a player holds the bag and tumbles off awkwardly and everybody except the umpire who was watching the bag thinks the fielder came off (when he didn't). Wasn't the case here, but I've had this happen at least once or twice this season. Why would I answer a player who asked this question? Or an assistant coach?