The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Strike two/Ball four (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54251-strike-two-ball-four.html)

bucblue Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:45pm

Strike two/Ball four

Braves vs Dodgers - 3 - 1 count - R1 stealing on pitch - Eric Cooper HP right hand comes up for strike two - R1 out at second - then Cooper calls pitch a ball for a walk. Cox ejected but Cooper obviously gave strike mechanic. Dodgers just hit a two run bomb - should have been solo shot - bases empty

SanDiegoSteve Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:56pm

Oops.

just another ref Sat Aug 08, 2009 01:42am

My question on this subject is what if a mistaken signal affects the action on the field. What if this play happens on a 1-2 count with 2 outs. Ump gives strike signal, ss sees it and thinks inning is over and does not apply the tag, but had plenty of time to do so. Then what?

rbmartin Sat Aug 08, 2009 06:17am

Should the 2 base umpire still signal safe or out depending on how he sees the home plate umpires ball/strike call?

What if HP signals a 3rd strike at home for a 3rd out? Does 2B even make a call on the advancing runner?

bob jenkins Sat Aug 08, 2009 06:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 619457)
Should the 2 base umpire still signal safe or out depending on how he sees the home plate umpires ball/strike call?

What if HP signals a 3rd strike at home for a 3rd out? Does 2B even make a call on the advancing runner?

The base umpire should continue to watch the play and note (to himself / herself) what the call would have been, but make no call / signal.

zebra2955 Sat Aug 08, 2009 07:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucblue (Post 619441)
Braves vs Dodgers - 3 - 1 count - R1 stealing on pitch - Eric Cooper HP right hand comes up for strike two - R1 out at second - then Cooper calls pitch a ball for a walk. Cox ejected but Cooper obviously gave strike mechanic. Dodgers just hit a two run bomb - should have been solo shot - bases empty

Just a question. If it was ball four then wouldn't the home run have been a 3 run bomb?

rbmartin Sat Aug 08, 2009 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 619458)
The base umpire should continue to watch the play and note (to himself / herself) what the call would have been, but make no call / signal.

I asked because the 2nd base umpire (Chuck Meriwether I believe) clearly called the runner attempting to steal "out".
I think he may have been fooled by Eric Coopers signal as well.

Steven Tyler Sat Aug 08, 2009 08:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucblue (Post 619441)

According to Vin Scully the count was 3-2. It woud have been a strike 'em out throw 'em out situation. Cooper came up and signaled a swinging strike call. He must of said ball because Ethier dropped his bat and was removing his shin guard at the plate. Meriweather banged Furcal out stealing at 2B.

Cox came out to find out what was going on and Cooper ran him almost instantly. Ramirez struck out and then Blake hit a three run homer.

Cooper looked very frustrated at the end of the inning.

jwwashburn Sat Aug 08, 2009 09:40am

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | ATL@LAD: Cox is ejected for arguing with the ump - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

UmpTTS43 Sat Aug 08, 2009 09:47am

Cox was not run immediately. Looks like he was given plenty of leeway. Cooper walked away once and was getting ready to walk again when he dumped Cox. Right after the ejection, about 1:20 in the vid, you can see Cooper tell Cox something like " I told you what I did. I'm just being honest with you." From what I can gather, Cooper ate crow, admitted his mistake and Cox continued thus the ejection.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | ATL@LAD: Cox is ejected for arguing with the ump - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

jicecone Sat Aug 08, 2009 09:53am

Like I always say, "as many times as Cox can get tossed, it's just not enough." He is just a miserable ole man.

realistic Sat Aug 08, 2009 02:20pm

Meriweather should not have made a call at all. Coop called timeout as the ball was in the air to second so the play was dead.

Rufus Sat Aug 08, 2009 02:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by realistic (Post 619512)
Meriweather should not have made a call at all. Coop called timeout as the ball was in the air to second so the play was dead.

I believe the only thing Cooper did after the strike call was bring his hand back to his chest quickly like "I really hope nobody saw that strike call just then." (Having refereed basketball I'm familiar with this move having both done it and witnessed it on a foul/violation almost-call - fortunately we have a whistle to fall back on but it still doesn't look good). His hands may have started to go up when the ball was at second but by that time it's too late, Meriweather had turned to make the play.

realistic Sat Aug 08, 2009 03:02pm

the worst thing is Coop's timing was so fast. The pitch was a ball like he thought it was. Maybe that was Bruce Campbell's hand signaling strike.

Ump153 Sat Aug 08, 2009 03:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by realistic (Post 619512)

That's not realistic. Meriweather's back was already turned when Cooper's feeble time signal went up. And when did the rule change that a walk killed play?