The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Mil @ LA Mota ejection-Vin has the call (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/54236-mil-la-mota-ejection-vin-has-call.html)

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 08:50am

Mil @ LA Mota ejection-Vin has the call

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | MIL@LAD: Mota is ejected after hitting Fielder - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I love Vin Scully...also, Fielder's reaction is priceless. They are losing 17-4 and he gets drilled...he didn't even seem angry-just perplexed.

They play again tonight for the last time this season. Someone is getting hit.

Edited: OOPS! I guess the Prince was a little upset after all: http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=mil

Ump Rube Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:02am

"As if he had read the book yesterday..."

"Bam. Your outa' here. See' ya. Good bye. Adios"

Classic Scully.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:07am

I love this one, also...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Blake, Torre ejected for arguing balls and strikes - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

"And Gibson said, 'You're outta here with your fertilizer'"

DonInKansas Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:00am

"He changed it from horse to bull; it's still fertilizer."

I could listen to Scully call ballgames forever. And this is from an Oakland A's fan.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:03am

Wow!

That Blake ejection was weak. Ejections like that make the umpire the main show. Go home and eject the dog or something.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 618984)
"He changed it from horse to bull; it's still fertilizer."

I could listen to Scully call ballgames forever. And this is from an Oakland A's fan.

Vinny is the one thing in life that is virtually unchanged since I moved to Southern California in 1964. He is one of the game's gods. I can take or leave the Dodgers, but I watch them religiously merely to listen to Vinny. He is truly without a peer, and he's the only guy around that doesn't use--or need--a color commentator. What a joy it is not hearing a blathering ex-player like Joe Morgan stealing his time. And as an 80-year-old in his 61st year calling games, he hasn't lost much, I'll tell you that.

Vincent Edward Scully ... there will never be a greater voice of this great game.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 618985)
Wow!

That Blake ejection was weak. Ejections like that make the umpire the main show. Go home and eject the dog or something.

I would agree. If You are going to dump Blake, do it while he is on the field. But to do it from where he did it with Blake in the dugout made the umpire look ridiculous.

tcarilli Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24am

Mocking is OK?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 618986)
I would agree. If You are going to dump Blake, do it while he is on the field. But to do it from where he did it with Blake in the dugout made the umpire look ridiculous.

Is it OK to mock an umpire as long as the player does it in the dugout? At 1:09 to 1:13 on the video one can see what Blake did to get tossed; he yelled at Gibson and mocked his punch-out mechanic. So, if a player openly mocks you (essentially to your face since it appears that he made sure Gibson was looking at him) as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it; you let it go?

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 618990)
Is it OK to mock an umpire as long as the player does it in the dugout? At 1:09 to 1:13 on the video one can see what Blake did to get tossed; he yelled at Gibson and mocked his punch-out mechanic. So, if a player openly mocks you (essentially to your face since it appears that he made sure Gibson was looking at him) as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it; you let it go?

You are basing this on responses from those who are coaches first, umpires second.

I'll eject them if they are on the field or in the dugout where they feel like it is a safety zone. I have done it and will continue if some player wants to yell at me from the dugout. Too many have this idea in their head that it looks bad if the umpire tosses someone while that person is not in their face yelling at them.

If he is not man enough to say it to my face, why should I let him be coward enough to say it with his back to me or from his dugout?

Good EJ IMO.

Chris_Hickman Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:49am

Tony is right. Yes, he was back in the dugout, but you cannot let Blake demonstrate like that. Gibson kinda shoved it up Blake's a$$ with his mechanic but I would guess there is is probually some history between Blake and Gibson. That's the PRO game.

tcarilli Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 618998)
You are basing this on responses from those who are coaches first, umpires second.

No, I don't think so. I am asking a question. Two posters claimed it was a weak ejection; so, I am asking if it is OK to mock an umpire under those circumstances. I am interested in exploring the circumstances under which it is and is not OK to mock an umpire.

tcarilli Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman (Post 619001)
Gibson kinda shoved it up Blake's a$$ with his mechanic ... That's the PRO game.

Did he? Or was it just Gibson's strike three check swing mechanic? Or some of both? (I'd venture the last.)

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Coaches first, umpires second? Thanks for the open insult to my/our integrity. I'm not permanently biased toward anything. That was a weak ejection from the standpoint of an umpire and only the standpoint of an umpire.

And if an umpire is an adversary of coaches, and has the scornful attitude that some have toward most or all coaches, perhaps they need to take a look in the mirror.

Quote:

I'll eject them if they are on the field or in the dugout where they feel like it is a safety zone. I have done it and will continue if some player wants to yell at me from the dugout. Too many have this idea in their head that it looks bad if the umpire tosses someone while that person is not in their face yelling at them.

If he is not man enough to say it to my face, why should I let him be coward enough to say it with his back to me or from his dugout?

Good EJ IMO.

Man enough?? You need to show thicker skin. If one guy goes back to the dugout, and gives it for 30 seconds or so, you let it go. He didn't throw his bat, and he didn't even look back at you on the way to the dugout. Let him boil until he runs out of steam, and then keep doing your job rather than over-doing it.

InsideTheStripe Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 618973)
[url=http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5927105]

Edited: OOPS! I guess the Prince was a little upset after all: http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=mil

Prince trying to get into the Dodger's locker room after the game.

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 619004)
...from the standpoint of an umpire and only the standpoint of an umpire.

Then, if this is true, you would agree that the EJ was warranted and earned. Nothing weak about it. What would have been weak would be not to eject at all. That would have been weak on Gibson's part, allowing a player to mouth off like that. And, obviously someone was watching b/c it was caught on tape. So, someone saw Blake mouthing off about the call.

So, where do you draw the line at someone yelling at you on the field? In your face yelling at you? Their back is to you? Before they get into the dugout? When they have their back to you in the dugout calling you anything and everything under the sun?

Just wondering where you draw the line and stop considering your EJ of someone as justified and becomes weak.

outathm Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:05am

As a lifelong Giants fan/Dodger hater (sorry for the redundancy) I still will stop my day to hear Vin Scully announce a game. He is one for the ages.

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:06am

Quote:

Man enough?? You need to show thicker skin. If one guy goes back to the dugout, and gives it for 30 seconds or so, you let it go.

So, you will allow the chirping at you about "balls and strikes" or a play which happened 2 innings ago. Just as long as they do it from the dugout.

30 seconds of yelling at you about a play? You allow that much before you will consider anything?

That is not having thicker skin. That is being weak in front of everyone on the field, including your partner.

Coach first, umpire second. Take it as what you want. Insult? Well, you should have thicker skin then. :rolleyes:

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 619003)
Did he? Or was it just Gibson's strike three check swing mechanic? Or some of both? (I'd venture the last.)

He was showing him up. If he wants to signal a third strike with a big punch out, then he can take some long-distance crap for rubbing the hitter's nose in it. But he wants to give the big punch out and then act like it's a surprise when the hitter takes umbrage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 619010)
So, you will allow the chirping at you about "balls and strikes" or a play which happened 2 innings ago. Just as long as they do it from the dugout.

30 seconds of yelling at you about a play? You allow that much before you will consider anything?

That is not having thicker skin. That is being weak in front of everyone on the field, including your partner.

Coach first, umpire second. Take it as what you want. Insult? Well, you should have thicker skin then. :rolleyes:

Did you ever play the game? Maybe you would see this type of situation differently.

And I do everything on a case-by-case basis. Thirty seconds is how long it takes in most cases. It's my way of managing a game in most cases. And I am very successful at my game management, and I am respected for my authority and control. It's not a sign of weakness, and I am not treated that way as a result. Quite the opposite, really.

Welpe Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty
You never played the game did you?

Yikes...I'd expect to hear that from a coach, not another umpire.

Try to remember we're on the same team here folks.

tcarilli Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:17am

everyone is getting wet

Why must damn near everything turn into a pissing contest here? From the video it appears as if Blake said nothing that would get him ejected..."that's bull$hit!, etc." He did, however, openly mock Gibson by mocking his mechanic. So...the question remains on the table: Is it OK to openly mock an umpire from the dugout as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it?

tcarilli Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 619013)
He was showing him up.

Is there some history between Blake and Gibson? Is it possible that a strike three check swing fits into the category of called strike three by a plate umpire and therefore it is permissible to add a little flare to it?

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:26am

Quote:

Did you ever play the game? Maybe you would see this type of situation differently.

College ball included. Thank you very much.

But, that really got a much more dignified answer than it deserved. And, no I don't see it differently. I see it as a player being a jerk and the umpire let him know he had enough.

Not very thick skinned, are you? And, yes, that is being weak to not want to eject b/c now every umpire behind you has to put up with that same BS until they decide to get rid of those same idiots that you chose not to. You put it off onto the next umpire to have to control the situation.

And, I say "Coach first, umpire second" based on many of your posts including ones on this thread. You are quick to defend the players/coaches and jump on the umpire as you are doing in this thread. Keep proving it with every post. You did with this one.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

Coaches first, umpires second? Thanks for the open insult to my/our integrity. I'm not permanently biased toward anything. That was a weak ejection from the standpoint of an umpire and only the standpoint of an umpire.

And if an umpire is an adversary of coaches, and has the scornful attitude that some have toward most or all coaches, perhaps they need to take a look in the mirror.

Man enough?? You need to show thicker skin. If one guy goes back to the dugout, and gives it for 30 seconds or so, you let it go. He didn't throw his bat, and he didn't even look back at you on the way to the dugout. Let him boil until he runs out of steam, and then keep doing your job rather than over-doing it.

I don't usually disagree with you, but in this case I must. Gibson, or any other umpire worth his shin guards, needs to take care of business when openly mocked or ridiculed by a player or coach, no matter whether they are in the dugout or on the field. I don't care if the player goes back into the dugout and takes a bat to the Gatorade jug, or breaks equipment that belongs to the team. That's the manager's problem. But when he stands at the dugout openly taunting and gesturing at me, then we have a problem. And if he is not part of the solution, then he is the problem and must go away.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 619018)
So...the question remains on the table: Is it OK to openly mock an umpire from the dugout as long as only his dugout, the other dugout, and the fans facing the dugout can see it?

So...the answer remains: No.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 618990)

My point was is that if you are going to toss him, toss him while he is on the field.

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619029)
My point was is that if you are going to toss him, toss him while he is on the field.

But, if he is going to wait until he gets to the dugout to mock you or start calling you everything under the sun, are you going to wait until one of his feet are on the field?

Again, if he is not man enough to do it on the field, why am I going to let him be coward enough to do it in the dugout?

Welpe Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:47am

Quote:

That works if he does anything on the field that would warrant him being tossed but I'm not going to pass on an ejection just because the ejectee is in the dugout.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:48am

Quote:

I have officiated many sports for 20+ years (baseball for 15+) and heave helped coach a 9 and 10 yr old baseball team for a few months.

You base your baseless snide opinion of me on one incident with one lump of carbon getting paid to be an umpire.

Those that know me personally and those that know you personally have one thing in common-both groups know you are full of crap.

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619033)
I have officiated many sports for 20+ years (baseball for 15+) and heave helped coach a 9 and 10 yr old baseball team for a few months.

You base your baseless snide opinion of me on one incident with one lump of carbon getting paid to be an umpire.

Those that know me personally and those that know you personally have one thing in common-both groups know you are full of crap.

Oh, I guess I need to grow that thick skin that Kevin eluded to. :D

You are protecting Blake's actions simply b/c he wasn't on the field. That is a weak excuse to not eject and that is just weak. Passing an EJ is weak. The actual EJ is doing one's job. Gibson did his job.

So, where do you draw the line?

I based it on many posts I have seen from you and Kevin. So, I stand by my assessment. Prove me wrong. Was Blake's EJ justified, warranted, and carried out properly based on what he had to work with[The Rat waited until he got into the dugout to do his antics towards the umpire]?

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 619032)
That works if he does anything on the field that would warrant him being tossed but I'm not going to pass on an ejection just because the ejectee is in the dugout.

I watched the video again. I originally did not notice what Blake did as a mock of Gibson's puchout-I guess it probably was. I could see dumping him for that. However, if that is all he did, some guys would let it slide and be able to live happy and normal lives.

Someone else mentioned a possible history with those two. If there is, then who knows what was really going on.

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619038)
I watched the video again. I originally did not notice what Blake did as a mock of Gibson's puchout-I guess it probably was. I could see dumping him for that. However, if that is all he did, some guys would let it slide and be able to live happy and normal lives.

Someone else mentioned a possible history with those two. If there is, then who knows what was really going on.

So, you don't approve of what Blake did? And, with him doing it and yelling across the field directly at Gibson?

Would you have ejected him if he did all of that to you and was yelling across the field at you saying things like "that's BS"? Would it take you 30 seconds to finally say something or get rid of him?

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619038)
However, if that is all he did, some guys would let it slide and be able to live happy and normal lives.

You must know different guys than I do.;)

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:13pm

Scarcasm!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619040)
You must know different guys than I do.;)

Are you saying you don't have thick skin? SDS, you have got to turn the other cheek on that one and let them jump on you for 2 innings before saying something to them. Remember, we have to do what we can to keep them in the game. Even if it means making ourselves look like a doormat to them. You have to go for that compliment on game management by the coaches to make yourself feel good.

:D

tcarilli Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:14pm

Quote:

He did nothing on the field to warrant an ejection. His "ejectionable" act was performed in the dugout. So, if I understand you, the answer to my question is yes? Or do I not understand you?

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 619039)
So, you don't approve of what Blake did? And, with him doing it and yelling across the field directly at Gibson?

Would you have ejected him if he did all of that to you and was yelling across the field at you saying things like "that's BS"? Would it take you 30 seconds to finally say something or get rid of him?

If the PU would have just said, "What's that, Casey?" Then he could have been dumped on the field and that looks better. THAT is what I was trying to say. It was a STYLE comment more than anything else.

You have such a bias toward anything that I say because I made a sarcastic remark to a pile of turd getting paid to be an umpire that you cannot see clearly.

If ti were me, I would have probably ejected him for yelling at me on the field. But, I have a pretty itchy trigger finger.

GA Umpire Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619046)
You have such a bias toward anything that I say because I made a sarcastic remark to a pile of turd getting paid to be an umpire that you cannot see clearly.

If that were true, then you keep making those same remarks and reinforcing it. And, don't forget you telling an umpire that he couldn't change his call to an out call[Rat move]. Those 2 stand out the most but I am sure there are/will be more. So, my comment is not without base.

And, you suggest the PU should have baited Casey? So, you have a problem with "style" but don't have a problem with "baiting"?

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 01:26pm

What classifies someone as a rat?

Making one off-handed sarcastic remark in a blowout game;

or

Showing up late, dressing like a skateboarder, having no clue or no interest in finding a clue, talking on a cell phone in between innings, and texting during an inning?

The fact that you call me a rat and not him tells me all I need to know about you.

I am a smart alleck. Cell Phone McGhee is the rat

Joe

SethPDX Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:45pm

Quote:

But he waited until he was in the dugout to act like a rat. Put me in the "he does that, he's gotta go" camp.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619046)
If the PU would have just said, "What's that, Casey?" Then he could have been dumped on the field and that looks better.

If ti were me, I would have probably ejected him for yelling at me on the field. But, I have a pretty itchy trigger finger.

Unfortunately for you that's also known as baiting. And generic, every day yelling at an umpire is not enough for an ejection in pro ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619052)
What classifies someone as a rat?

Making one off-handed sarcastic remark in a blowout game;

or

Showing up late, dressing like a skateboarder, having no clue or no interest in finding a clue, talking on a cell phone in between innings, and texting during an inning?

The fact that you call me a rat and not him tells me all I need to know about you.

Joe

Uggghhh...Coach, I'm not going to let you bring up old threads. I've heard enough.

Yes, you are a smartaleck. Whether you are also a rat is for each person reading this thread to decide. I know how I would answer the question.

TussAgee11 Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:49pm

Ejectable offenses lead to ejections. If possible, you try to make them look like you weren't the aggressor. Rats know this, so they find ways to make themselves look innocent.

It doesn't mean they are.

Good EJ.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 619067)
But he waited until he was in the dugout to act like a rat. Put me in the "he does that, he's gotta go" camp.

Unfortunately for you that's also known as baiting. And generic, every day yelling at an umpire is not enough for an ejection in pro ball.

Uggghhh...Coach, I'm not going to let you bring up old threads. I've heard enough.

Yes, you are a smartaleck. Whether you are also a rat is for each person reading this thread to decide. I know how I would answer the question.

Calling me coach, gee that is clever-you must be so proud of your razor sharp wit.

I have a problem with umpires that blame everyone but the umpire every time in every situation.

I have always tried to look at the situation and try to figure out what happened-not just assume that the umpire is right no matter what.

Some of the same people that call me a rat have no problem whatsoever with intentionally making the wrong call to screw players/coaches that they do not like.

SethPDX Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619072)
Calling me coach, gee that is clever-you must be so proud of your razor sharp wit.

I'm just as proud of mine as you obviously are of yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619072)
Some of the same people that call me a rat have no problem whatsoever with intentionally making the wrong call to screw players/coaches that they do not like.

Really? Well then, tell us, who here endorses the FYC? We haven't had that discussion for a while, and it will be a heck of a lot more interesting than this thread.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11 (Post 619069)
Ejectable offenses lead to ejections. If possible, you try to make them look like you weren't the aggressor. Rats know this, so they find ways to make themselves look innocent.

It doesn't mean they are.

Good EJ.

I agree with you-with an edit to the first sentence.

Only ejectable offenses should lead to ejections.

Over the years, I have seen plenty of ejectable offenses not lead to ejections. I have also seen NON-ejectable behavior lead to ejections-I have been guilty of a few of those, myself. So, when I see an ejection in the MLB, I try to figure out what happened. Sometimes, it is obvious, other times it is not. Sometimes, umpires are in the wrong:eek:

Just because I do not blindly accept what an umpire's actions does not make me a rat.

I defended Todd Tichenor's 4 ejection game a while back to many people in person who blamed the umpire. In my personal relationships, I am nearly always explaining why the umpire was right.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 619074)
Really? Well then, tell us, who here endorses the FYC? We haven't had that discussion for a while, and it will be a heck of a lot more interesting than this thread.

Read through the threads. It is all over the place.

Ump Rube Wed Aug 05, 2009 03:49pm

I thought this is why PMs were invented...

Holy Sh!t. I thought that maybe, just maybe this thread would turn back to the real question at hand, but instead I am up to my knees in p!ss, I think someone owes me a new pair of pants.

LDUB Wed Aug 05, 2009 04:07pm

Quote:

If he wants to signal a third strike with a big punch out, then he can take some long-distance crap for rubbing the hitter's nose in it. But he wants to give the big punch out and then act like it's a surprise when the hitter takes umbrage.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read...he was punched out, he has the right to act like that haha Go back to telling us which umpires are mailing it in.

LDUB Wed Aug 05, 2009 04:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619052)

No, you lied to him. You made up a rule and told him it was too late to change a call because it would be going against your team. Cell Phone McGhee might be pretty bad as an umpire but you are still a rat.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 05, 2009 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GA Umpire (Post 619025)
College ball included. Thank you very much.

But, that really got a much more dignified answer than it deserved. And, no I don't see it differently. I see it as a player being a jerk and the umpire let him know he had enough.

Not very thick skinned, are you? And, yes, that is being weak to not want to eject b/c now every umpire behind you has to put up with that same BS until they decide to get rid of those same idiots that you chose not to. You put it off onto the next umpire to have to control the situation.

And, I say "Coach first, umpire second" based on many of your posts including ones on this thread. You are quick to defend the players/coaches and jump on the umpire as you are doing in this thread. Keep proving it with every post. You did with this one.

I truly, honestly did not mean it to sound that way, and if it did, which I can understand, I apologize whole-heartedly. I was just asking you to see that he left the field and earned the right to fume a little.

Sorry if it sounded like typical player-umpire blowhard posturing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcarilli (Post 619021)
Is there some history between Blake and Gibson? Is it possible that a strike three check swing fits into the category of called strike three by a plate umpire and therefore it is permissible to add a little flare to it?

No flair. But that's an individual's choice. This individual made the choice to take a chance at showing the guy up. He did; the guy didn't like it, and he gave a quick demonstration of it. The guy that showed him up also had a quick trigger. Bad combination.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 619017)
Yikes...I'd expect to hear that from a coach, not another umpire.

Try to remember we're on the same team here folks.

I hear you; I didn't mean it quite the same way as it sounded. I just tend to think that if a guy goes to the dugout and doesn't point or taunt or do anything until he gets to the dugout, and then fumes a little, he's earned a little latitude for not showing the guy up in front of the world. I understand and accept that. And I do it without being or showing weakness.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 05, 2009 04:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 619091)
That is the dumbest thing I've ever read...he was punched out, he has the right to act like that haha Go back to telling us which umpires are mailing it in.

You run your games your way, I will continue to run mine my highly successful way. I treat every situation differently, and in that situation, with grown men playing at the highest level, I would have let the guy blow off some steam for a little while, instead of running him from 160 feet for saying crap I couldn't even hear.

(I love the way 30 seconds became two innings earlier.)

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 05, 2009 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 619102)
You run your games your way, I will continue to run mine my highly successful way. I treat every situation differently, and in that situation, with grown men playing at the highest level, I would have let the guy blow off some steam for a little while, instead of running him from 160 feet for saying crap I couldn't even hear.

(I love the way 30 seconds became two innings earlier.)

If the guy is just blowing off steam, fine. The minute he starts mimicking me with visuals that the folks in the stands can see, he's done.

TussAgee11 Wed Aug 05, 2009 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619075)
I agree with you-with an edit to the first sentence.

Only ejectable offenses should lead to ejections.

Over the years, I have seen plenty of ejectable offenses not lead to ejections. I have also seen NON-ejectable behavior lead to ejections-I have been guilty of a few of those, myself. So, when I see an ejection in the MLB, I try to figure out what happened. Sometimes, it is obvious, other times it is not. Sometimes, umpires are in the wrong:eek:

Just because I do not blindly accept what an umpire's actions does not make me a rat.

I defended Todd Tichenor's 4 ejection game a while back to many people in person who blamed the umpire. In my personal relationships, I am nearly always explaining why the umpire was right.

This was an ejectable offense, the video shows what he did so I think many people on here are wondering why you want to ask what did he do?

It seems clear as day what he did. Its also clear as day that this is ejectable offense.

DonInKansas Wed Aug 05, 2009 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619105)
If the guy is just blowing off steam, fine. The minute he starts mimicking me with visuals that the folks in the stands can see, he's done.

So the fake umpires from the BLue Jays games are not welcome at any game you're workin'? :D:D:D

zm1283 Wed Aug 05, 2009 06:37pm

Good ejection IMO. For the record, Gibson is not the only MLB umpire that I've seen use that kind of punch out for a check swing on strike three.

I don't see why the crowd has to see something for it to be ground for ejection. Do you let them do whatever they want as long as the crowd doesn't see it but you can?

LDUB Wed Aug 05, 2009 06:41pm

Quote:

I would have let the guy blow off some steam for a little while, instead of running him from 160 feet for saying crap I couldn't even hear.

You need to stop arguing about this; you don't even understand why he was ejected.

Kevin Finnerty Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:38pm

Oooooohhhh, I don't?

Okay, how's this?

Gibson gave the guy this big punch-out, and then stares at him until he mimics the punch-out FROM THE FLOOR OF THE INSIDE OF THE DUGOUT, and the thin-skinned Gibson, who can't tolerate when somebody he shows up shows him up FROM THE FLOOR OF THE INSIDE OF THE DUGOUT, so he tosses him from 160 feet.

It's weak.

Ump153 Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:45pm

Quote:

You run your games your way, I will continue to run mine my highly successful way.

Excellent advice. Why not extend that to you run your games your way, and ML umpires will run games their way?

Then, at the end of the day, let's see who goes farther in umpiring.

LMan Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:49pm

I think this thread is now the one full of fertilizer.....

LDUB Wed Aug 05, 2009 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 619144)
I think this thread is now the one full of fertilizer.....

Don't worry it will be over soon. After Kevin Finnerty sees this picture of Tim McClelland, who has been mailing it in for years, his head will explode and no one will be exposed to any more of his posts.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/...4/46271739.jpg

zm1283 Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:11pm

Kevin I guess I don't understand. You criticize guys like McClelland for being so nonchalant and acting like they don't care, but then you criticize Gibson for being too "flamboyant" or whatever other adjective you want to use.

I'm sure you run your games fine, and so does Gibson, seeing as he's in the best crop of umpires in the world.

DG Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:40pm

Gibson gave Blake an opportunity to blow off steam on the way to the dugout, but then Blake gets to the dugout and assume he has reached a sanctuary and can keep ******ng. Wrong.

The dugout is not mom's petticoat to hide behind.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 619153)
Gibson gave Blake an opportunity to blow off steam on the way to the dugout, but then Blake gets to the dugout and assume he has reached a sanctuary and can keep ******ng. Wrong.

The dugout is not mom's petticoat to hide behind.

That last line is pretty funny!

Now back up to your curse word ******ng????? Did you misspell it or misuse it? I have no idea what word that is.:eek:

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619154)
That last line is pretty funny!

Now back up to your curse word ******ng????? Did you misspell it or misuse it? I have no idea what word that is.:eek:

The word is b!tching.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 619156)
The word is b!tching.

Thank you Allen Luden.

http://www.dougquick.com/cbs_passwordludden60%27s.jpg

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619158)

You're welcome, Peggy Cass. Or is it Kitty Carlisle?

outathm Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 619158)

Now this is proof that if you look hard enough you can find anything on the internet.

jwwashburn Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 619164)
Now this is proof that if you look hard enough you can find anything on the internet.

Including that signature.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump153 (Post 619141)
Excellent advice. Why not extend that to you run your games your way, and ML umpires will run games their way?

Then, at the end of the day, let's see who goes farther in umpiring.

I have gone as far as I cared to. I have no major league or minor league aspirations. There's a huge contribution to make on the levels that I work.

Chris_Hickman Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:26am

Probually need to "lock" this baby up.........

Kevin Finnerty Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 619149)
Kevin I guess I don't understand. You criticize guys like McClelland for being so nonchalant and acting like they don't care, but then you criticize Gibson for being too "flamboyant" or whatever other adjective you want to use.

I'm sure you run your games fine, and so does Gibson, seeing as he's in the best crop of umpires in the world.

Loafing on coverage and measuring your punch-outs on a check swing are two entirely different subjects.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 619164)

You can even find it if you misspell the guy's name!