The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 01, 2009, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
While it's impossible to know for sure how he ranks with the league, the fact that Hohn has only worked one post-season series since the shake-up of the staff in 1999 (2005 Division Series), suggests that he's not exactly impressing the powers that be. For someone with 20 years of service, three total postseasons (all Division Series) is pretty low. The only umpires with fewer postseason assignments were called up in 1999 or later, and most guys with Hohn's experience have around 7-8 playoff years. The fact that MLB has kept him out of the postseason in 17 of the 20 years he has umpired, including 9 of the 10 years since merit was supposedly given more weight in playoff assignments seems to suggest that he must be pretty close to the bottom of the league.

With most MLB guys, I'm honestly pretty surprised when they mess up. Every time I've seen Hohn work (admittedly not a lot of games), it seems like an adventure. Hohn and Paul Nauert (who's never been assigned a postseason game, besides the #6 spot on a division series crew in 8+ years [i.e. never been in a position where he could possible be behind the plate in a playoff game]), seem to be the two guys I've seen really struggle behind the plate, compared to most MLB guys. Obviously everyone misses a borderline pitch here or there, but I've seen Hohn and Nauert miss several not-borderline pitches over the years, which is not something you see very often from most of the guys who make it to that level. (I only mentioned balls/strikes, since that's generally what separates the "outstanding" from the "Major League-caliber" umpire.)

With so few spots opening up these days, and the logjam of AAA guys with lots of MLB games, it will be interesting to see if umpires like Hohn and Nauert who seem to struggle a bit more than most MLB umpires will be encouraged to "retire."
"Struggle"...interesting word

Is "struggle" the same word for a pitcher with a 7.67 ERA or a .217 Batting Avg?
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
My comments are now on record at this article's comment section.
Me, too. I wrote enough, unfortunately, to time me out on THIS site.
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 12:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
Me, too. I wrote enough, unfortunately, to time me out on THIS site.
Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Aug 02, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think he was saying he spent so much time posting over there that he got "timed out" over here."

By the way, Hohn was PU today and did not eject a single player:

Boxscore: Houston vs. St. Louis - August 2, 2009 | MLB.com: News
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

In the 2005 contract, when they offered a "special" retirement package, nobody took the "special" package. Maybe if the special retirement package is better this time, some people will take it.
I imagine, just like with a company, there is some type of age and years of work that you have to meet to be eligible for the full "regular" retirement package. There may also be a reduced "regular" package but many would not take that. Something like 50 years old and 20 years would get you a reduced package, but 55 years old and 20 years would get you the full package. So, unless you have reached the age and years worked for the full regular retirement package, there is no incentive to retire.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
In the 2005 contract, when they offered a "special" retirement package, nobody took the "special" package. Maybe if the special retirement package is better this time, some people will take it.
I imagine, just like with a company, there is some type of age and years of work that you have to meet to be eligible for the full "regular" retirement package. There may also be a reduced "regular" package but many would not take that. Something like 50 years old and 20 years would get you a reduced package, but 55 years old and 20 years would get you the full package. So, unless you have reached the age and years worked for the full regular retirement package, there is no incentive to retire.

ML has the ability and the history of offering an individual his own "special" retirement package.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:42am

Nice article:

Umpires | MLB.com: Official info
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Good job Bill Hohn!
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 12:12pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
Good job Bill Hohn!
Yes, well certainly not the kind of person that you would want to intentionally throw baseballs at to try to injure.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Quote:
"ML has the ability and the history of offering an individual his own "special" retirement package."
And it appears that as many as four special packages maybe offered at seasons end.

BTW, this includes a possible career ending injury package.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Can you elaborate on this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
jwwashburn has it right - tabbed browsing is great, but it does get one off-track. I went to the article in question, and dropped 3 posts in, but by the time I got back over here, I'd timed out, and had to login again.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
jwwashburn has it right - tabbed browsing is great, but it does get one off-track. I went to the article in question, and dropped 3 posts in, but by the time I got back over here, I'd timed out, and had to login again.
You and Steve tried to get it through the writer's head, I have to hand it to you. Every time I think fanboys out there can't get any worse, I read a blog post and am reminded...
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
You and Steve tried to get it through the writer's head, I have to hand it to you. Every time I think fanboys out there can't get any worse, I read a blog post and am reminded...
Well, I then went back today and wrote more. Worse, I even checked a few minutes ago. MY fever doesn't need cowbell; it needs for me to punch that guy in the neck, THAT'S what it needs.

Look, I have no problem with 'one-eyed' fans, and I know I've disagreed with officials calls, even after I started umpiring. (You probably don't want to be around me at a VT football game, at least not if there's an ACC crew working. Yeah, I know - that's all the time. Ironic, ain't it? And I might be worse at a Caps game, especially if they're playing the Flyers or Pens.) But at the same time, I've never - and I mean NEVER - wanted a guy to get drilled.

That's the part that Mr Jock-sniff didn't get, or didn't want to acknowledge. From the descriptions, it seemed like most of the EJs were righteous, but that wasn't the first problem Steve or myself - or I'm sure anyone here - had with it. It's the wanting someone to get hurt.

Simple math: Braves fans == righteous indignation. Everyone else == (who gives a sh!t || good calls). And I'm pretty sure I could prove a theorem that said Joel Barker == whiny douchebag.

(sorry about that math/coding stuff there. kind of a habit.)
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Now that I have seen the picture on MLB.Com. That is a world class mustache!
Old Mon Aug 03, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
And it appears that as many as four special packages maybe offered at seasons end.

BTW, this includes a possible career ending injury package.

Well, don't know if Montague has any problems. Reilly has vertigo every now and then. Reed has been out with his 2 strokes and had a stress fracture in his foot trying to come back. Crawford and Hohn have back problems but Hohn is not 55 yet and needs this year to get his 20 in.
Hirschbeck had neck surgery last year. Seems like Danley has had a lot of concussions.
It appears the disability policy is not as good as it was when Bonin had to retire with his concussion per an article on Bonin.
Years ago, Phillips negotiated some contracts that gave the umps something like 300,000 if they retired 2 years early in a 3-4 year contract and 200,000 if they retired 1 year early and there probably have been special "individual" retirement packages every now and then.
Back in the first half of the 80's the umps had to retire by 55. A friend of mine who went to the school years ago said this is why they strongly discouraged (but could not force) older students from seeking a job. They knew they could not get the 20 years in for retirement if they started at 35-40 in the minors and they felt guilty and bad for guys not getting their 20 years (full pension) in because of the retirement at 55 policy.
Then, in 86 Reagan said you could not force people to retire early. This allowed several umpires (Dutch & Pulli) to work past 55 even though they got to the big leagues after the age of 35 and get their 20 years in. This will also help Cedarstrom who spent 18 years in the minors (Dutch spent 17), Barksdale and Hickox.

Last edited by tballump; Tue Aug 04, 2009 at 12:09am.