The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Video: Tough break for Royals

I always enjoy when someone posts video of a controversial play / ejection, so figured I'd throw one in here.

Varitek in running lane?| MLB.com: Multimedia

Looks like Varitek ran inside the baseline the entire way, but PU couldn't see it / call it because he had to keep his eye on the first play at the plate. I know it's PU's responsibility, but can the BU make the baserunning call in a situation like this?

Thoughts?

Last edited by alex7; Wed Jul 22, 2009 at 10:54am. Reason: fixed link
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7 View Post
I always enjoy when someone posts video of a controversial play / ejection, so figured I'd throw one in here.

Multimedia Search | MLB.com: Multimedia

Looks like Varitek ran inside the baseline the entire way, but PU couldn't see it / call it because he had to keep his eye on the first play at the plate. I know it's PU's responsibility, but can the BU make the baserunning call in a situation like this?

Thoughts?
Your link just brings up search results.

The play you're talking about happened about 10 days ago. There was already a thread about it.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 05:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Multimedia Search | MLB.com: Multimedia

Thoughts?

I still subscribe to the 90-degree angle taught by Evans at his school, so when there's a throw from the box, I'm almost in the 1st-to-2nd baseline. It's a really hard call to make from there, especially when you have to worry about making the call on the play at first.

But if it's clear that the BR is running all the way down outside of the lane and is hit with a quality throw, it should be detectable by someone, hopefully the plate umpire. Now, if there's an intervening play, then I can see this being more difficult to get.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, this 1st base umpire was only about 3 steps inside, so I figured he should have seen Varitek running inside.

Nice hustle by the PU though.

Sorry if it's already been shown / discussed, didn't see it in the last week.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yeah, this 1st base umpire was only about 3 steps inside, so I figured he should have seen Varitek running inside.
Check the video again. BU is hustling to the position RichMSN describes to get the 90 and is nearly there when the throw is made.

PU not only had the play at the plate but, properly, as he hustled up the baseline stayed chest to ball until the throw.

BU's sin was not lack of hustle but he failed to keep an eye on the runner and ball as he was moving to get the 90.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Your link just brings up search results.

The play you're talking about happened about 10 days ago. There was already a thread about it.
Which thread? I don't see one.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

As for the play, this is tough to tell. I think the BR being out of the lane interfered with F3 taking the throw (since the BR made him move to fair territory). Had F3 been in the lane, there still would have probably been a collision, but he would be exempt from the interference.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Which thread? I don't see one.
It may not have been an entire thread, but it was talked about.