The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Association's Summer Lightning/Thunder Policy

This year, our UIC sent out an email to our umpires indicating our association was adopting a new "summertime baseball" lighting/thunder policy. The new policy is we are to wait 15 minutes instead of the NCAA/NFHS 30 minute from the last lightning/thunder occurrence. Although it has never been said, its quite obvious their intention is to have a shorter wait time to get more games in, make more money, ect. Myself and other members of our association have spoken up and voiced our objections to no avail. We have determined that we are not going to follow the 15 minute policy and instead will use the 30 minute rule. We feel the UIC is putting the members in a difficult and potentially dangerous situation (both for the safety of the players and legally). What do you all think?
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
This year, our UIC sent out an email to our umpires indicating our association was adopting a new "summertime baseball" lighting/thunder policy. The new policy is we are to wait 15 minutes instead of the NCAA/NFHS 30 minute from the last lightning/thunder occurrence. Although it has never been said, its quite obvious their intention is to have a shorter wait time to get more games in, make more money, ect. Myself and other members of our association have spoken up and voiced our objections to no avail. We have determined that we are not going to follow the 15 minute policy and instead will use the 30 minute rule. We feel the UIC is putting the members in a difficult and potentially dangerous situation (both for the safety of the players and legally). What do you all think?
I think your UIC is insane.
You might advise him that the only time I am aware of that an umpire has been judicially held liable for injury to a game participant was lightning-related.
Just f'ing nuts.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Forward this story to the UIC.

Lightning Kills Spotsylvania County Boy as Violent Storms Move Through Area - washingtonpost.com
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Utter.

Madness.

Perhaps an attorney can tell us where negligence ends and depraved indifference begins?

"The prompt and correct judgements of the honorable umpire elicited applause from the members of both clubs, and their thanks are tendered to him for the gentlemanly manner in which he acquitted himself of that onerous duty." - Niagara Indexensis, May 20th 1872
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue View Post
Utter.

Madness.

Perhaps an attorney can tell us where negligence ends and depraved indifference begins?
Attorneys advise. Juries decide. I would have to walk, no run, from this association.

Last edited by DG; Sat Jul 04, 2009 at 03:28pm.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 08:51pm
Administrator

Quote:

mrm21711:

You UIC is an IDIOT!!!!

It sounds to me that the coaches do not like waiting the thirty minutes. It is obvious that your UIC does not have a spine and he gave in to the coaches's complaints about the thirty minute wait time.

I think that you and your brethern are doing the correct thing by sticking with the thirty minute rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Most coaches in youth leagues have sons playing, so I don't understand why they would want to put them at risk. Simple solution to not wanting to wait 30 minutes, go home when game is stopped due to lightning. I can not recall the last time I stopped one for lightning that ended up finishing.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Aren't those rules only able to be changed on a state level, not an association level anyways? I've never dealt with an assn, so I don't know.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had a similar occurance last year when an initial email was sent out regarding the fact that men's/college wood bat league does not have an automatic stop play lightning/thunder policy. A member of our association forwarded the email to a lawyer to look at regarding umpire liability. The feedback we received was that our NHFS and NJ State status requires that we stop a game in such instances.
Old Sat Jul 04, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup View Post
I had a similar occurance last year when an initial email was sent out regarding the fact that men's/college wood bat league does not have an automatic stop play lightning/thunder policy. A member of our association forwarded the email to a lawyer to look at regarding umpire liability. The feedback we received was that our NHFS and NJ State status requires that we stop a game in such instances.
ALMOST as embarassing as our UIC saying this is the fact that our elected officials in our local association have done nothing about it after repeated pleas and questions. I worry about other guys in our association following the 15 minute rule and getting in serious trouble.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Why would any reasonably intelligent adult follow such a ridiculous rule? And who would ring them up if they don't?

I live by the rules of the game, and the rules of my association. But good grief, I don't follow that rule, and if I get rung up, I don't remain a part of such an imbecilic organization.
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookieblue View Post
I'm no attorney, but how about this: the seventh figure?
Old Sun Jul 05, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

In no circumstance can safety rules be modified unless they are made to be more stringent. As others have said, no way would I only wait 15 minutes.

-Josh
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This year, our UIC sent out an email to our umpires indicating our association was adopting a new "summertime baseball" lighting/thunder policy. The new policy is we are to wait 15 minutes instead of the NCAA/NFHS 30 minute from the last lightning/thunder occurrence.
Not to argue one way or another, but is your association associated with NCAA/NFHS or is it a summer league association? Are the games being played NCAA/NFHS games, or are they summer league games?
Old Thu Jul 09, 2009, 06:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

An association can say what it wants, but I won't be umpiring when I think it's unsafe. 30 minutes is a reasonable standard -- if the teams don't like that, then let's bang the game and head to the house.