Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 05:49pm
Stop staring at me swan.

MLB crew mistakenly uses replay

Where's the error here?

Friday, June 26, 2009
MLB tells crew it mistakenly used replay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

Turns out umpires are still learning the rules for instant replay, too.

Major League Baseball told an umpiring crew Friday that it mistakenly went to a video review the previous night on a ball hit by Tampa Bay's Pat Burrell that bounced into the stands at Tropicana Field.

Crew chief Gary Cederstrom was not disciplined. MLB vice president of umpiring Mike Port informed him of the error.

It marked the first time since baseball began using replay last August that the system was incorrectly employed. There have been 23 calls reviewed this year, and eight of them were reversed.

Replay is to be used only on potential home runs involving boundary calls -- was the ball fair or foul, did it clear the wall, was there fan interference?

Tampa Bay led Philadelphia 10-4 with two outs in the seventh inning Thursday night when Burrell batted with Carl Crawford on first base.

Burrell hit a drive to left-center field that bounced into the seats, and the speedy Crawford rounded third base and headed home. Umpires went to replay, checking to see whether a fan touched the ball as it hopped up.

If there had been interference, they could have awarded Crawford home plate. But umpires must make that determination on their own, without replay.

After a video review of 1 minute, 36 seconds, umpires said the ball cleanly skipped into the seats, calling it a ground-rule double and sending Crawford back to third. Carlos Pena then popped up to end the inning, and the Rays wound up winning 10-4.

Cederstrom had twice used replay earlier this season. His crew took away a home run from Baltimore's Melvin Mora and called him out because of fan interference, and also let stand a homer by Houston's Miguel Tejada.

Baseball adopted replay last year, following the NFL, NBA, NHL, some NCAA competitions and Grand Slam tennis. Other sports have tinkered with their replay rules, leading many baseball players and fans to wonder whether video review might be used even more in the future.
Old Fri Jun 26, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Where's the error here?
The "error" is that the ball was not a potential home run.

That being said, I think that given the rule, they did the proper thing in keeping with the intent of it.