The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   UNC/ASU and Robin Ventura's shenanigans (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53628-unc-asu-robin-venturas-shenanigans.html)

DonInKansas Sun Jun 14, 2009 02:37pm

UNC/ASU and Robin Ventura's shenanigans

Is anyone else listening to this noise?

Robin, the ball hit the bat. It's foul.

Robin, the pitcher isn't balking. That move is legal in NCAA.

I think him and Tim McCarver had drinks together before the game.

zm1283 Sun Jun 14, 2009 02:49pm

What happened with the balk? They're interviewing Pat Murphey right now about it and he seems to think it was a balk. What happened?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jun 14, 2009 03:22pm

How about how they were saying early in the game that the umpire was giving up on the slow breaking ball too quick, and that it should have been called a strike, when I called it a ball because it was low, and so did the umpire. He didn't give up on anything! Then the very next pitch was a perfect curveball for a strike and that's when they compared the two very different pitches. These clowns are the best that ESPN can do?

DonInKansas Sun Jun 14, 2009 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 608809)
What happened with the balk? They're interviewing Pat Murphey right now about it and he seems to think it was a balk. What happened?

It's basically the classic NCAA "jump turn." They're saying he's not gaining ground towards 1st base.

zm1283 Sun Jun 14, 2009 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 608814)
It's basically the classic NCAA "jump turn." They're saying he's not gaining ground towards 1st base.

I see....He just did it again and they claimed it was the "gray area" for a balk.

DonInKansas Sun Jun 14, 2009 03:53pm

It is cool having the umpires miked for the game. You can really hear the communication. I was especially a big fan of "Shut up, it's not a balk." :D

bossman72 Sun Jun 14, 2009 07:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonInKansas (Post 608814)

I see often on jump turns, especially with good pitchers, that they do actually execute the jump turn, but their free foot lands practically in the same spot. This isn't what happened, right?

(Video example of what I'm talking about at 0:33)

YouTube - NCAA Umpiring Bulletin #2 - April 1, 2004

Kevin Finnerty Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:54pm

Are you talking about this Robin Ventura?

http://trsullivan.mlblogs.com/Ventura.jpg

zm1283 Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:57pm

Did they switch color guys between games today? I only ask because Orel Hersheiser was the color guy with Karl Ravech for the Texas/Southern Miss game tonight. Just thought it was odd that they would switch them.

bob jenkins Mon Jun 15, 2009 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 608866)
Did they switch color guys between games today? I only ask because Orel Hersheiser was the color guy with Karl Ravech for the Texas/Southern Miss game tonight. Just thought it was odd that they would switch them.

there are (or have been in the past) at least two broadcasting crews. It's just too exhausting to do a game at 2 and another at 7.

JJ Mon Jun 15, 2009 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 608879)
there are (or have been in the past) at least two broadcasting crews. It's just too exhausting to do a game at 2 and another at 7.

Wouldn't it be nice if WE could do that - have a second crew instead of doing a DH? :D

JJ

TxUmp Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 608879)
. . . It's just too exhausting to do a game at 2 and another at 7.

I hope your smilies follow this comment!! These guys are siting down in an air-conditioned booth watching a ball game! What's exhausting about that? Most of us do that for relaxation.

jicecone Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxUmp (Post 608929)
These guys are siting down in an air-conditioned booth watching a ball game! What's exhausting about that?

Yea but, they have to talk about rules they don't know and whatever other non-important Bull****, because they know you just couldn't enjoy a ball game without their valuable entertainment. Now thats exhausting?????????????????

DG Mon Jun 15, 2009 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 608881)
Wouldn't it be nice if WE could do that - have a second crew instead of doing a DH? :D

JJ

It would be, if we got paid for DH and only worked one, like the announcers apparently are paid.

zm1283 Sun Aug 16, 2009 04:41pm

To rehash this thread: I know in NCAA a RHP has to gain ground to first on a jump turn when attempting to pick a runner off. Is the same true in FED rules? If so, rule reference?