Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds View Post
Yup, me too - "Look, boys and girls, Magic! Watch me make the nasty coach disappear!"
My last game last season was a bit of free community service -- a 9-10 year old game (it felt like the game was 9-10 years old) where I ended up ejecting the losing coach in the bottom of the last inning after a whacker at first base.

Perfect ending to a year.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post

I also am of the opinion that umpires, coaches and parents/spectators are absolutely not necessary for the game to be played by young uns. My fondest memories of playing this grand old game was on the sand lot with my 10 to 20 buddies (who ever showed up) and playing all day without adult supervision. (Learned most of my adult words there though) Disagreements on the field were settled by the old free for all......
And these days ARE a memory, at least out where I live. I can't remember the last time I saw an unsupervised game on a ballfield. Seeing an empty ballfield on a clear spring/summer day used to be blasphemy. Now it's the status quo.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
All of this over...9U baseball.
Exactly. It's enough to make your head spin.

Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
That post must've taken a lot of energy. Better go eat some cheese, rat.
Those insults really make you seem immature. Can you claim to have any integrity when you say stuff like that?

You ask who pays attention to stuff like cell phones. Do you not see the problem with making $37 and wearing a cell phone, then doing a lousy job. By the way, $37 is very good pay. I can't imagine anyone demanding $50 per game for 2 games at most 10 miles away from home.

Last edited by cc6; Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:25pm.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I am starting to wonder if you have any clue, myself. Maybe you're just a lousy coach who's a bit too fixated on the fact the guy had a cell phone on the field with him. And you've referred to him as "Cell Phone McGhee" so many times there's no doubt you're fixated on that.

I've seen college umpires work summer rec programs and take phones with them and make and take calls between innings. Frankly, life's too short to care about crap like that.

It's a 9U game. It's supply and demand. If you could get better for $37.50, you'd have them already. The choices are simple: Accept what you have, pay more, or entice better people to do the job. I'd do it for $50 as long as there were 2 games and it was less than 10 miles from my house (but I would have no tolerance of rats).
Talking on his cell phone was his major activity. Umpiring was an afterthought. By the way, who said anything about between innings? I saw him texting during the innings. But, I know...I should have mentored him. I should have taught him the rules. I should have begged him to call my runner out!

If you do not realize how stupid an umpire looks on a cell phone on the field, you have spoken volumes. I don't need to know anything more about your professionalism.

Joe
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post

Walt buddy, I wanted to alert you to the possibility the last post may be highly offensive to some viewers.

I would merely ask that you consider removing it before we get another lecture from the group on the far right. As far as I know I am right in asking you to remove this offending material before they join in the discussion.

No need to record this post either. I will delete this post in a few hours.
Isn't interesting that the words F***ing and Christ together as a phrase is less offensive to some people than my little quip to Cell Phone McGhee. We are living in the Twilight Zone.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Those insults really make you seem immature. Can you claim to have any integrity when you say stuff like that?

You ask who pays attention to stuff like cell phones. Do you not see the problem with making $37 and wearing a cell phone, then doing a lousy job. By the way, $37 is very good pay. I can't imagine anyone demanding $50 per game for 2 games at most 10 miles away from home.
Huh? I've made over $100 for a game essentially in my backyard. $37 may be good pay to you, but for some of us, we lose more by taking an hour or two off from work.

I get more grief working kids games than anything else and it's a lack of knowledge and decorum on the part of the coaches and parents 99% of the time. If I price myself out of that market, I have more time for golf and my daughter. And a coach can come on here and complain about the guy they get in my place.

Last edited by Rich; Fri Jun 12, 2009 at 03:46pm.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

Integrity? IJAFIBB. If you want to see integrity, come watch me work games, not waste time posting here.

BTW, I have only ever taken a phone on the field/court when my wife was pregnant. I wouldn't do it otherwise, but that's because it's not right for me. I don't lean up against a fence or talk to my partners between every inning or....well, you get the picture. But I'm not about to stand and pass judgment over a guy I didn't see myself.

I just find it ironic that a coach can do what the OP did and yet he's somehow on higher moral ground than the umpire.

"You can't....you already called him safe!" Glee ensues.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can't imagine anyone demanding $50 per game for 2 games at most 10 miles away from home.
I guess it depends on the level of games with which you are familiar.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to falsecut Send a message via AIM to falsecut Send a message via Yahoo to falsecut
Joe, just curious. When you made the original post, what were you looking for? Information? Feedback on how to handle a situation? Reading your OP, I'm thinking of what I usually say to a coach at a basketball game who's keeping up a running chatter on the sideline: "Is there a question in there?"
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, I've been reading for awhile...what was the OP about?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falsecut View Post
Joe, just curious. When you made the original post, what were you looking for? Information? Feedback on how to handle a situation? Reading your OP, I'm thinking of what I usually say to a coach at a basketball game who's keeping up a running chatter on the sideline: "Is there a question in there?"
I posted it for fun. I thought it would be a hoot to watch the "false piety" lobby make fools of themselves.

They really outdid themselves, though.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
If you would care to give me a scholarship to an umpire school, I would choose Harry's.
You must not be interested in a contract.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn View Post
I posted it for fun. I thought it would be a hoot to watch the "false piety" lobby make fools of themselves.

They really outdid themselves, though.
"I didn't really mean it."

The refuge of the creator of a losing argument.
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
"I didn't really mean it."

The refuge of the creator of a losing argument.
Didn't really mean what?

I said what I said to Cell Phone McGhee.

I am not sure what your comment means.
Closed Thread