The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Malicious Contact? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53578-malicious-contact.html)

Spence Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:07pm

Malicious Contact?

On the play where the CF catches it and the runner tags is there anything here? Malicious contact? Does the arm flying out give you anything? Nothing?

Sports Video On Demand | WHAS11.com | News for Louisville, Kentucky

Matt Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spence (Post 607876)
On the play where the CF catches it and the runner tags is there anything here? Malicious contact? Does the arm flying out give you anything? Nothing?

It's not the arm, but the shoulder, that makes it MC IMO. When I pause it immediately before contact, the shoulder is lowered like a running back trying to run through a tackle.

mbyron Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:23pm

I couldn't get the video to load. What level ball are we talking about?

Spence Tue Jun 09, 2009 09:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 607886)
I couldn't get the video to load. What level ball are we talking about?

High school.

Brett Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 607885)
It's not the arm, but the shoulder, that makes it MC IMO. When I pause it immediately before contact, the shoulder is lowered like a running back trying to run through a tackle.

I've got nothing.

Looks a runner bracing for contact with a player that has no right to be in front of him and an arm flying up as a result of the contact for which he was bracing.

I'd like to know what the second coach to get run said prior to being ejected, though.

Matt Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 607904)
Looks a runner bracing for contact with a player that has no right to be in front of him and an arm flying up as a result of the contact for which he was bracing.

Well, we agree on the arm and the catcher. Most people don't brace by leaning forward, though--they attempt to absorb it by leaning backward.

Brett Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 607905)
Well, we agree on the arm and the catcher. Most people don't brace by leaning forward, though--they attempt to absorb it by leaning backward.

Some people run more shoulders over toes than others. He seemed to be still be running hard not quite knowing where the ball was. JMO.

bossman72 Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:33pm

I think by virtue of the phrase itself, you need contact for there to be "malicious contact".

I know what it looks like he tried to do, but he didn't do it. I got nothing.

Matt Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 607910)
I think by virtue of the phrase itself, you need contact for there to be "malicious contact".

I know what it looks like he tried to do, but he didn't do it. I got nothing.

You're saying you didn't see contact? The catcher staggered backwards as a result of it--the legs, at a minimum, definitely made contact at about the knees.

Matt Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett (Post 607907)
Some people run more shoulders over toes than others. He seemed to be still be running hard not quite knowing where the ball was. JMO.

I'd agree with you, but he was running fairly straight up until he saw the catcher. As he neared the catcher, that's when the lean occurred.

zm1283 Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:49pm

Did the runner touch home plate? Sure didn't look like it.

I've got nothing as far as the contact goes. If the ball had beaten him there, the catcher would have had it in time to tag him, which didn't happen.

Matt Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 607914)
Did the runner touch home plate? Sure didn't look like it.

I've got nothing as far as the contact goes. If the ball had beaten him there, the catcher would have had it in time to tag him, which didn't happen.

So, you don't have MC, but why don't you have obstruction?

Ump Rube Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:58pm

From what I see, there was minimal contact. It looks like the runner is setting up to plow the catcher over, but he backs up due to the throw and the runner misses both laying out the catcher and the plate as it looks to me.

Do we know what the call on the field was?

zm1283 Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 607916)
So, you don't have MC, but why don't you have obstruction?

I didn't say that I didn't have obstruction. I forgot to add that I would possibly have obstruction if I'm on the field making that call. I was just addressing the part about MC. It's definitely not MC.

waltjp Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ump Rube (Post 607917)
From what I see, there was minimal contact. It looks like the runner is setting up to plow the catcher over, but he backs up due to the throw and the runner misses both laying out the catcher and the plate as it looks to me.

Do we know what the call on the field was?

Judging by the two coaches ejected I'd guess there was no call and the run scored.

Matt Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 607918)
I didn't say that I didn't have obstruction. I forgot to add that I would possibly have obstruction if I'm on the field making that call. I was just addressing the part about MC. It's definitely not MC.

Okay...when you said "I've got nothing as far as the contact" I thought you meant both MC and OBS.

zm1283 Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 607920)
Okay...when you said "I've got nothing as far as the contact" I thought you meant both MC and OBS.

No, sorry. I meant that I didn't have anything by the runner. I forgot to include anything about obstruction.

ozzy6900 Wed Jun 10, 2009 07:32am

Looks like F2 set up in the path of the runner and he is waiting for the ball. I have both players doing what they should be doing. The contact, in my opinion, was not MC nor was it obstruction. I have a train wreck, run scores and the ejections stand.