The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Softball Help

I'm looking for a good website that clearly explains the field umpire positioning for a 2 man crew in high school softball. I've been doing exclusively baseball for a while and need a refresher course.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZFKU View Post
I'm looking for a good website that clearly explains the field umpire positioning for a 2 man crew in high school softball. I've been doing exclusively baseball for a while and need a refresher course.
You might try posting to the Softball Board on this site. You are on the Baseball Board.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
only rules you really need to know, leaving early, lookback rule, don't call any fly outs/line outs, position on the outside rather than inside, pos A is same, pos B is to right of 2B, when a runner is on 1st exclusively, pos C is behind SS's left shoulder and is used whenever lead runner is on 2nd, pos D is off SS's right shoulder when lead runner on 3rd...on balls in the IF, stay outside of diamond, balls in OF, go inside...

that's about it...except on steals of 2nd, i'll shift from pos B to inside to watch the play (discouraged by many umps but I like the better view there...)

the games are about 70% common, so mechanics wise, you should be fine. base ump in SB brushes pitcher plate, bring the out hammer up a bit higher than in baseball. The action on the bases will be a bit faster and plays will be closer...
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
only rules you really need to know, leaving early, lookback rule, don't call any fly outs/line outs, position on the outside rather than inside, pos A is same, pos B is to right of 2B, when a runner is on 1st exclusively, pos C is behind SS's left shoulder and is used whenever lead runner is on 2nd, pos D is off SS's right shoulder when lead runner on 3rd...on balls in the IF, stay outside of diamond, balls in OF, go inside...

that's about it...except on steals of 2nd, i'll shift from pos B to inside to watch the play (discouraged by many umps but I like the better view there...)

the games are about 70% common, so mechanics wise, you should be fine. base ump in SB brushes pitcher plate, bring the out hammer up a bit higher than in baseball. The action on the bases will be a bit faster and plays will be closer...
really? Interesting.....
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbigdawg View Post
really? Interesting.....
That is one quick blue.

I have great first step quickness, I'm in great shape and I can't even begin to think about coming inside on a steal of 2B for a better view.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Dang, if people are calling stolen bases from the inside I really need to work on my hustle!

And I never heard of position D. I just always thought of it as making an adjustment to your position C if needed.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 11:01pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Dang, if people are calling stolen bases from the inside I really need to work on my hustle!
Never worked Little League baseball before? It's not that hard...of course in Little League, they put the umpire in C with a runner on first.

Quote:
And I never heard of position D. I just always thought of it as making an adjustment to your position C if needed.
I always figured position D was along the 3rd Base Line
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

in my area, we call it Pos D to differentiate it from Pos C which is about 2 steps to the left of Pos D. Depending on the age group (kids that won't hit the ball really far...), I sometimes go inside of 2nd base when a runner is exclusively on 3rd to get a better angle on the pickoff attempt and to be closer to a play at first. My UIC lets me get away with it only in certain situations and he agrees that it is a better angle. Yes, I do run the risk of getting hit by a batted ball which is why he won't let me do it at the higher levels...and I also do baseball, so I am quite familiar with the inside angle and dodging batted balls...

To call the stolen base from the inside, here's why I do it: I get paired up with a lot of plate umps who either have really bad knees and can't really move that well or I get paired with plate umps who don't really know to cover third on a stolen base attempt at 2nd in case of an overthrow. This allows me to quickly get in position to call it at 3rd.

How I do it: I observe where the 2B and 1B are situated. I pick a spot I'm comfortable with, on either shoulder of the 2B. I cheat up on the baseline a bit. On the pickoff to 1st, I make sure the runner is diving back, I then take about 3 big steps inside, turn, and can see the pickoff attempt crystal clear (and I'm already inside in case of an overthrow). I don't move inside until I see the ball has left the catcher's hand and the runner is diving back. I move really fast on this. If the runner is stealing, I let the runner pass me, as soon as she passes me, I chase/cross behind her and now I'm on the inside, I keep the runner's distance to 2nd in my peripheral vision, and I watch the catcher, if the catcher throws, I take a few steps for a good angle, always keeping my eye on the ball so I don't get hit. I never cross the imaginary line that goes from HP to 2B. I tend to inch closer to the pitcher's circle to get under the ball's arc to further avoid getting hit and to not shield the 2B or SS's view of the throw. Then I make the call. If there is no play at 2nd, I'll pause, let the catcher throw to the pitcher and then I'll quickly sprint to the C Position.

This is a non-standard mechanic, I use it because I am fast enough to get inside. I will stay outside if I cannot get inside adequately. I like the inside view as it is the same view I get in baseball and it's a better view. I'm not the most in shape ump but I can motor around the bases pretty well. I get my speed from reffing football where we REALLY have to run and make calls on the run...

I know i'm supposed to fight with my partner over getting to do the plate but if my partner really can't move that well, I'm not going to let him suffer on the bases, I'll motor around on the bases and he can hang out at home plate...
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Its free

Quote:
google softball umpire manual and a short list will become available.
Old Sat Jun 06, 2009, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Never worked Little League baseball before? It's not that hard...of course in Little League, they put the umpire in C with a runner on first.

I always figured position D was along the 3rd Base Line
I've worked plenty of LL baseball, as well as LL softball. On the small diamond I've never gone inside to call the stolen base at 2B, so I don't know how easy or hard it is. I don't really care either, since I don't plan on trying it. And BU in C with a runner at 1B only? Never heard of it.

I get a LL manual with my rule books every year, but I have not opened it in some time. Perhaps the "official" mechanics have changed.

I also thought D was on the 3B line in a 3-umpire crew. Just never heard of a different name for the position between 2B and 3B.
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 05:45pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I've worked plenty of LL baseball, as well as LL softball. On the small diamond I've never gone inside to call the stolen base at 2B, so I don't know how easy or hard it is. I don't really care either, since I don't plan on trying it. And BU in C with a runner at 1B only? Never heard of it.
Hmm, I'm not sure what the official LL mechanic is. That is how I was trained by my local LL when I first started back in '96 and that is the only mechanic I saw when working from other LL umpires in the area.

I distinctly remember that because when I started working ASA fastpitch a few years later, it threw me off being in B with only one R1.

It wouldn't surprise me if this were a made up local mechanic, reflecting back on some of the other things they had us doing.

Quote:
Just never heard of a different name for the position between 2B and 3B.
That is a first for me, as well.