The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Is this Single A that he played? Any professional experience is impressive. The odds of making it into the pros are apparently staggering.
If you're referring to the OP, it was the Gulf Coast League, a rookie league.

16 at bats is not impressive.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Fri May 22, 2009 at 08:15pm.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 02:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is this Single A that he played? Any professional experience is impressive. The odds of making it into the pros are apparently staggering.
And he apparently felt his one week (if that) of rookie ball experience gave him license to pop off to umpires and make a jackazz of himself.

The really good coaches (and umpires) don't have to go around reciting their resumes in order to impress people.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

The notion that having played pro ball automatically confers expertise about the rules is truly specious. The former MLB players I know are not sharp on rules, nor are they particularly interested in the subject—even the guy I occasionally umpire with. They usually have a passable command of the rules that directly affected their play, but with things like INT and OBS, they admit that they just used their instinct and let the umpire make the call. And for things like whether an appeal of a particular missed base results in a force out, they wouldn't even pretend to know.

A good response to "I played pro ball" might be "So did Tim McCarver."

When I umpired in Trenton, New Jersey, the response might have been "So did a dozen other guys in this park."
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post

A good response to "I played pro ball" might be "So did Tim McCarver."
"
Isnt he MLB's rules interpreter/expert?
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong View Post
Isnt he MLB's rules interpreter/expert?

He and Joe Morgan share that responsibility. There are a whole bunch of rules for them to understand. I think they split them up about 50-50.

Unfortuneatley they talk about the 50% that they aren't responsible for!!
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you kidding? High school/college kids that play in the Cape Cod league or others like it (those are the summer wood bat leagues in case anyone didn't know) have as much or more "pro" experience than this guy.

16 AB's in a short season rookie league with one hit. Color me impressed. NOT!!! The entire season is only 4 months long (mid-May thru mid-Sept), if it's THAT long. And he didn't last for one season.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the GCL or any other short season program.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 07:49pm

A coach telling an umpire he has "pro" experience is a bit like a patient telling his cardiologist, "hey, I've had 5-way bypass surgery, so I know more about it than you!"
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
16 AB's in a short season rookie league with one hit. Color me impressed. NOT!!! The entire season is only 4 months long (mid-May thru mid-Sept), if it's THAT long. And he didn't last for one season.

GCL's season is more like the second week of June to the end of August. Two and a half months.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you kidding? High school/college kids that play in the Cape Cod league or others like it (those are the summer wood bat leagues in case anyone didn't know) have as much or more "pro" experience than this guy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the GCL or any other short season program.
Are you saying Cape Cod League is made up of high school players during the summer?
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

He was drafted as a 1st baseman in the 22nd round of the January 1987 draft, 564th pick overall, and the 26th 1st baseman picked that January. Aren't 1st basemen supposed to have some power? He should have gone to spring training or at least extended spring before joining the Expos affiliate in the Gulf Coast League. Wasted time for only 1 single in 16 at bats. Gulf Coast League that plays 70 games like other rookie leagues, should start by June 22th to end on August 31, although it may start a couple days earlier if there are a couple off days built into the schedule.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
GCL's season is more like the second week of June to the end of August. Two and a half months.
I stand corrected. I thought I was being a bit generous.

Quote:
Are you saying Cape Cod League is made up of high school players during the summer?
Unless I am again mistaken, yes there are HS kids that play in the summer wooden bat leagues. Probably Seniors that have just graduated more than anyone younger. Most of them are college kids.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I stand corrected. I thought I was being a bit generous.

Unless I am again mistaken, yes there are HS kids that play in the summer wooden bat leagues. Probably Seniors that have just graduated more than anyone younger. Most of them are college kids.
So they play professional baseball while going to college or even high school?
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No. The Cape Cod League is an amateur league. College players go play there and in similar summer leagues when school lets out.

However, the players in the Cape Cod League are usually solid pro prospects.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 12:32am

Quote:
No, they play in the Cape Cod League, which is totally amateur. It is billed as "the premier amateur baseball league in the nation." It is made up mostly of top college players, but anyone with skill is welcome to try out
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
. Color me impressed. NOT!!!
I just had an early 90's flashback, complete with tightrolled jeans. Please put "NOT!" back in it's coffin.

And haven't you guys seen Summer Catch? It tells you all about the Cape League.