The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 01:29am
Official Forum Member

Wilson Titanium mask

It's been a month or so that Wilson made their titanium mask available to us common folk and was wondering how many bought it? Give me some pros and cons on it. I will be purchasing a new mask during the short off season we have here in SoCal and since it doesn't appear the Nike titanium is going to be available soon I would like some insight. Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Aug 26, 2008, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

A user has posted a review of it at Umpire-Empire. They seem to like it.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

I see 2 styles. standard and low profile. Whats the difference? Wich is better?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I believe the "low profile" is just a titanium version of the New View masks and "standard" is similar to the "Dyna Lite" series.

There are various rumors about the low profile masks and concussions...
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

It's a fantastic mask. I took another full speed shot yesterday and it really is a softened blow. The mask is featherlight and the pads are extremely soft and comfortable. The Nike's not worth the price or the wait with this thing out there.

I have the new-view, but if you're of the belief that the view is not worth the flatness, then go with the standard profile. You will go nuts over how light and comfortable it is.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump View Post
I believe the "low profile" is just a titanium version of the New View masks and "standard" is similar to the "Dyna Lite" series.
According to the ump-attire website, the "standard" is a catcher's mask.

It can be found for $10 less here: Wilson Dyna-Lite 9 1/2" Face Mask w/ETP WTA3007 BLTI
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

I'll post my experince with mask so far. I bought it in August, know that I'd have maybe a hand full of fall ball plates to wear it for. So far I've worn it in 6 plates and have loved every second of it so far. I will admit that I haven't taken a between the eyes shot yet so I don't know how it going to be in that situation. Truthfully, I've been lucky in that I haven't taken a frontal shot in the past two years.

The one shot that I took of of it, hit off the side of my face near the ear flaps. The mask flew off my face and landed a couple of feet away feet away. Other than adjusting my hat and dusting of the mask, I was fine. The main reson for this might have happened is becuase of the way it is suggested that we should wear our mask, nice and loose with the bottom swinging away when we look down.

With the dynalights, I always had it tight to my face. It felt more secure and actually in my mind, lighter. With the titanium you can wear it loose and not even have it bother you, like the dyna-lights seemed to with me. I just seems to float on the brim of the hat and you won't have to work your forhead to keep it in place.

I like the leather on the pads, don't like the wrap-arounds, and the padding seem a little thin. I've never had a pair of the wrap-arounds so I don't know if that is true thickness, but I can deal with them, as I can't find my old style Amara's and the old style tan looks bad IMO (grey frame/tan pads, to light in color.)

Cons: I thought that I'd have to get rid of the metal indicator, but it doesnt hit all that much, but when it does, it makes my teeth hurt. I did have to remove my wedding band as that is also titanium and make a nice metal on metal sound that is bothersome to me. But its probably a good thing to not wear the band behind the plate in case your hand gets hit.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Let me start out by saying...

that I am an equipment junkie. I owned two Wilson Chrome Moliben low profile masks, one black and one gray. I also own a navy blue traditional shape Honig's lightweight mask. I used Amara Suede new wrap-around style pads, traditional style Wilson Doeskin pads, the original black (Pigskin, I think) leather wrap-around pads and I now own the Wilson low profile titanium mask with the doeskin wrap-around pads that it comes with.

I looked at the Ump Attire weight listings. I find it hard to believe that the Titanium is only .4 lbs lighter than the Chrome Moliben and .5 lighter than the traditional view lightweight mask. That near-half/half a pound really makes a difference. It is absolutely unbelievable the difference in weight and feel. I feel completely safe with the mask and would recommend it to anyone. It is that lightweight and comfortable.

My two cents, your mileage may vary.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

$190 seems a bit much to pay for a mask, to me...
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
According to the ump-attire website, the "standard" is a catcher's mask.

It can be found for $10 less here: Wilson Dyna-Lite 9 1/2" Face Mask w/ETP WTA3007 BLTI
It is not a catcher's mask. It is the same style as all traditional masks ever except for "new view" ones.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin View Post
It is not a catcher's mask. It is the same style as all traditional masks ever except for "new view" ones.

1. Wilson says the only titanium umpire mask they are producing is in the "new view" profile.

2. Ump Attire states they are selling a Wilson titanium in the "standard" profile.

3. Wilson and Ump Attire say that Wilson makes a titanium catcher's mask with the traditional profile. Ump Attire identifies this as the one they are selling as the "standard" mask.

4. Brian Curtain says it is not a catcher's mask.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

I got to pick one up at the NCUS camp that someone has and that thinkg is freakin light..I want one.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 04:19am
Official Forum Member

I too have one of the wilson masks. I also think that $200 is crazy. However, when I paid $65 for my leather two tone wilson dynalite I felt it was a fair price. But after one solid foul ball to the face, the bars got bent shortly after I bought the mask. Now, assuming that the titanium really is indestructible and last for quit a while (hence doesn't bend). Over time I will not buy another frame and just replace the pads.

Besides the price argument (which I agree with). The comfort and lightness of the mask is ridiculous. You don't even feel it. I personally can't really tell that much difference at all with the "new view" but if its smaller and if I can see the pitch "better" well then as an umpire I would hope for features like this.

I am thinking of going with all black leather pads at least when it is cold weather.

The only gripe I have about this mask is the throat guard does not appear to extend down very far like the nike or diamond featherweight frames do. The bars are thinner than the dynalite so I think it gives a pseudo impression that you lose a little bit of protection to the throat.

I think I may add a throat guard to my mask, something I have never used before as an umpire.

But I love the mask, function wise its a 10/10. Price wise as mentioned earlier the initial cost is great and hopefully in the long run if it last for 5 years I will be happy.

my $0.02

Last edited by Pensaump; Tue Nov 11, 2008 at 09:03am.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 08:42am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
$190 seems a bit much to pay for a mask, to me...
I agree...but once you go light you'll never go back...I've been stuck to my +POS SUL for probably 5 or 6 years now and dread having to retire that mask for something "heavier" I think I will probably spend the money on a Wilson Titanium...I can pay for it in roughly three games...so soften the first blast I get when wearing it, I consider it paid in full.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I agree...but once you go light you'll never go back...I've been stuck to my +POS SUL for probably 5 or 6 years now and dread having to retire that mask for something "heavier" I think I will probably spend the money on a Wilson Titanium...I can pay for it in roughly three games...so soften the first blast I get when wearing it, I consider it paid in full.
Exactly we all know the price is crazy and ludicrous. Look how much the titanium hockey mask has dropped in price since it was unveiled..

But everything except the price is awesome about this mask. I honestly would say that buying the new silver diamond mask with some wilson pads would be just as light and have the same or better ascetics but less durability and more protection in the throat. I even like the frame design better on the diamond to be honest, but for now I doubt the durability of the lesser "alloy" as compared to titanium.

I want to see a serious pounding administered to one of these titanium masks and see if the frame retains its structure.