The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ankiel injury - Catch/No-catch? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53081-ankiel-injury-catch-no-catch.html)

TxUmp Tue May 05, 2009 09:47am

Ankiel injury - Catch/No-catch?

In last nights Cardinal game, Rick Ankiel made another amazing dive and catch (?) immediately followed by a crash into the left-CF wall. The ball popped out of his glove, and the left fielder picked it up but held it in his glove as he stood over his injured team mate. He made no attempt to return the ballto the infield. Since this was definitely NOT a voluntary release of the ball, why was it rued a catch? Why was the runner not trying for the next base?

UmpJM Tue May 05, 2009 09:51am

TxUmp,

If you observe the video carefully, you will see he removed the ball from his glove just prior to crashing into the outfield wall.

Secure possession in the glove, voluntary release when he transferred the ball to his throwing hand.

That's a catch!

JM

TxUmp Tue May 05, 2009 09:55am

I'll try to catch it again on ESPN, but I did not see any sign of him reaching into his glove with is bare hand. There was NO voluntary release.

UmpJM Tue May 05, 2009 09:58am

TxUmp,

You can check out the replay at the following link:

The Official Site of The St. Louis Cardinals | stlcardinals.com: Homepage

JM

bob jenkins Tue May 05, 2009 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxUmp (Post 599793)
I'll try to catch it again on ESPN, but I did not see any sign of him reaching into his glove with is bare hand. There was NO voluntary release.

You can clearly see the ball fall out of the bare hand as he hits the ground (after he hits the wall). It was a catch.

Rich Tue May 05, 2009 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxUmp (Post 599793)

It's clear as day. Watch the replay again before making such a definitive (and wrong) statement.

As a Phillies fan, I watched the end of the game and the Cardinals announcers actually covered this in the post-game and said it was a catch because Ankiel took the ball out of the glove with his bare hand. They must have called somebody to be *that* right.

Tim C Tue May 05, 2009 10:44am

~Cripes~

After watching the replay twice this statement:

Quote:

"There was NO voluntary release."
ties for the dumbest post ever made on the internet.

Forest Ump Tue May 05, 2009 11:08am

What a great call by the officiating team getting that right in real time. Easy to see in the replay.

Rich Tue May 05, 2009 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forest Ump (Post 599813)
What a great call by the officiating team getting that right in real time. Easy to see in the replay.

If I was watching as an umpire, I don't think it would've been that tough. I would've been anticipating a crash and looking for the transfer. Watching as a fan, though, in real-time, all I saw was a horrendous crash.

Cub42 Tue May 05, 2009 12:09pm

Good Call

It was called correctly. Voluntary release. Here is something to think about. If that wasn't a 4 man crew, that would have been a very difficult play to call

Umpmazza Tue May 05, 2009 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 599806)

tim what did you expect he is from Texas....LOL

waltjp Tue May 05, 2009 10:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 599806)

Tim, that's got to be a pretty big list by now. ;)

bossman72 Tue May 05, 2009 10:32pm

Pardon me for being a bit ignorant here... but i'm not making the connection with the "on the transfer" analogy of calling this a catch.

The only time I see an "on the transfer" call is on the front end of the double play, or an outfielder is trying to throw out the runner after a caught fly ball.

In both scenarios, the fielder has complete control of his body and he bobbled the transfer because he was trying to throw someone out at another base.

In the video, the ball was transferred (hard to tell full speed) from his glove to hand, but what for? He wasn't trying to throw anybody out because he still hasn't stopped stumbling.

I'm a little confused because this looks like a no-catch to me...

PS- the video appears to show that they ruled it a no-catch. The beginning scoreboard at the top has nobody on and 1 out and when Ankiel is being carted off, there is R3 and still 1 out...

Rich Ives Tue May 05, 2009 10:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossman72 (Post 599971)
In the video, the ball was transferred (hard to tell full speed) from his glove to hand, but what for? He wasn't trying to throw anybody out because he still hasn't stopped stumbling.

It doesn't matter what for. All that matters is that the transfer was a voluntary release from the glove.

Heck - on a third out the fielder often takes the ball from his glove (obviously for no reason as there's no play to be made) and tosses it into the stands. Would you think that wasn't a catch?

Welpe Tue May 05, 2009 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 599967)
tim what did you expect he is from Texas....LOL

Says the guy in Mississippi. ;)