The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Diving over a fielder (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52956-diving-over-fielder.html)

ljdave Sat Apr 25, 2009 05:53pm

Diving over a fielder

I missed the following question on my state test:

R1, one out. R1 is stealing on the pitch. B3 hits a line drive to F3's right. F3 dives and catches the ball for the 2nd out. While F3 is lying on the ground, R1 dives over F3's prone body and gets back to first base before F3 is able to tag either R1 or the base.

a. R1 is guilty of interference.
b. R1 is out for diving over F3.
c. F3 is guilty of obstruction and R1 is awarded second base.
d. Legal play.

I said (b), the state says its (d).

Rule 8-4-2-b-2: "Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground. Diving over a fielder is illegal."

What am I missing? Thanks for your input.

bob jenkins Sat Apr 25, 2009 07:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljdave (Post 597778)

I agree with your answer.

Freddy Sat Apr 25, 2009 09:14pm

Me, Too

I, too, got that one wrong. After studying it for about two hours I emailed Mark Uyl at MHSAA to ask about it. He'll likely respond by Monday. He's pretty good at responding to rules questions.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Apr 25, 2009 09:35pm

I've successfully argued missed questions on FED exams. They typically contain mistakes, which I jump all over.

w_sohl Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljdave (Post 597778)
I missed the following question on my state test:

R1, one out. R1 is stealing on the pitch. B3 hits a line drive to F3's right. F3 dives and catches the ball for the 2nd out. While F3 is lying on the ground, R1 dives over F3's prone body and gets back to first base before F3 is able to tag either R1 or the base.

a. R1 is guilty of interference.
b. R1 is out for diving over F3.
c. F3 is guilty of obstruction and R1 is awarded second base.
d. Legal play.

I said (b), the state says its (d).

Rule 8-4-2-b-2: "Jumping, hurdling, and leaping are all legal attempts to avoid a fielder as long as the fielder is lying on the ground. Diving over a fielder is illegal."

Diving over a fielder that is on his own two feet is illegal. A fielder laying on the ground is not. The state is correct. This is the same ruling in FB too.

mbyron Sun Apr 26, 2009 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 597802)
I've successfully argued missed questions on FED exams. They typically contain mistakes, which I jump all over.

RULING: Legal. The poster would have been called out for diving over missed questions.

mbyron Sun Apr 26, 2009 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 597818)
Diving over a fielder that is on his own two feet is illegal. A fielder laying on the ground is not. The state is correct. This is the same ruling in FB too.

Disagree. The rule distinguishes between jumping and diving over a fielder who is lying on the ground. A runner who jumps over such a fielder lands on his feet; a runner who dives does not.

Not quite the same in FB, which does not have fielders. ;)

dash_riprock Sun Apr 26, 2009 08:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 597818)
Diving over a fielder that is on his own two feet...

I'd love to see that.

w_sohl Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 597834)
Disagree. The rule distinguishes between jumping and diving over a fielder who is lying on the ground. A runner who jumps over such a fielder lands on his feet; a runner who dives does not.

Not quite the same in FB, which does not have fielders. ;)

True, but a ball carrier is not allowed to hurdle unless the player, offense or defense, is lying on the ground. So the ruling is similar in FB.

ManInBlue Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:54am

According to the rules, given that they distinguish between jumping, hurdling...and diving, diving over ANY fielder is illegal. I'm almost certain there is a case play on this. I'll post it if/when I find it, provided someone doesn't beat me to it.

In Hockey I can body check a player trying to score and not have INT/OBS called on me. Should I now also assume this is the same as bowling over the catcher? :eek: I can't for the life of me figure out how diving in FB has any bearing on diving in BB.

w_sohl Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 597853)
According to the rules, given that they distinguish between jumping, hurdling...and diving, diving over ANY fielder is illegal. I'm almost certain there is a case play on this. I'll post it if/when I find it, provided someone doesn't beat me to it.

In Hockey I can body check a player trying to score and not have INT/OBS called on me. Should I now also assume this is the same as bowling over the catcher? :eek: I can't for the life of me figure out how diving in FB has any bearing on diving in BB.

The rules clearly state that you can dive over a fielder that is lying on the ground. I was only using the FB reference for comparison saying FB was similar to baseball in this regard. Nowhere did I say that since you can drill the QB in FB can you drill the catcher in baseball. See what you read and read what you see. Don't put words into my post.

Dave Reed Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 597853)
I'm almost certain there is a case play on this. I'll post it if/when I find it, provided someone doesn't beat me to it.

Oh, goody. A race! Maybe I can win......

3.3.1 SITUATION O: On a play at the plate, F2, who is on his knees, is about to receive the throw. R1 decides to hurdle F2 or jump over him feet-first. RULING: The runner is out. A runner is entitled to slide legally or legally attempt to get around a fielder who has the ball waiting to make the tag. Going over the top of the fielder who is not lying on the ground by hurdling, jumping over or diving over the fielder is dangerous and, therefore, illegal. A runner may jump or hurdle a fielder, who is lying on the ground, but diving over a fielder always is illegal.

mbyron Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 597859)
The rules clearly state that you can dive over a fielder that is lying on the ground.

Nope. See Dave's post.

w_sohl Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 597862)
Nope. See Dave's post.

My bad, anything BUT dive.

ManInBlue Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 597859)
The rules clearly state that you can dive over a fielder that is lying on the ground. I was only using the FB reference for comparison saying FB was similar to baseball in this regard. Nowhere did I say that since you can drill the QB in FB can you drill the catcher in baseball. See what you read and read what you see. Don't put words into my post.

Calm down, Hoss. I was being a smart a$$ because you compared BB and FB rules (that are not the same). I wasn't putting words in your mouth - did you miss the ":eek:" I added for comic relief?

Mr Reed, you win. And thanks for posting.