The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

The other night I was field ump for a legion game. R1 on second, fly ball to center, I get into position to see the catch and the tag. R1 does NOT leave early. the ball is still alive, the coach tells the pitcher to get on the rubber then step off and throw to second. The pitcher tells me what he is doing before he throws to second.He does throw to second but I call R1 safe then tell the pitcher all he has to say is "I want to appeal the runner leaving early".
Was that correct?
Thanks.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

In FED, a live ball appeal has to be mad by a fielder with the ball touching the base at the infraction or the base runner that committed the infraction.
If the ball in dead, then yes, all any fielder has to do is make a verbal appeal.
Old Sat Jun 29, 2002, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

If, as the original posts suggests, this was an American Legion game, and it was played in any state other than Oregon, it was played under OBR and not FED.

There is no dead ball appeal of a missed base in OBR.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

The legion game was played in Oregon. At the risk of sounding stupid what does OBR stand for?
Thanks.
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tdun44
The legion game was played in Oregon. At the risk of sounding stupid what does OBR stand for?
Thanks.
Official Baseball Rules

Bob
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

My understanding that in the Portland area American Legion has decided to play under National Federation rules. Their reasoning, in part, is that the kids come from school ball and most will return to school ball so consistency in rules is desirable.

The national head of American Legion basesball has declared that no Legion ball may be played under anything other than OBR (Official Baseball Rules) and the Legion add-ons. Perhaps he doesn't travel west.

If, indeed, the game was played under National Federation rules, then, yes, there is now, new this year, a dead ball appeal for missed basses.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Most of the Time we played under NFHS rules. Thanks to everyone that replyed.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Garth and others

All of Portland and some other communities DO play Legion under FEDlandia rules. Ty is one of the umpires that gets hit with that test.

It is very true what Garth has said . . . in a VERY spirited conversation the National Director of the AMerican legion baseball Progam staed that "No Legion Baseball" is played under FED rules. I was actaully told by the honcho, "the next game you gop do, YOU tell them it is OBR or NOT a legion game."

It has been posted here that "some" other areas of the US are also headed towards FED rules.

BTW, when Oregon goes to Legion playoffs all games are 9 innings and OBR . . . up until that time (example Portland) all games are FED and 7 innings in length.

Tee