The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   PU - Slot Positioning (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52852-pu-slot-positioning.html)

JPaco54 Wed Apr 15, 2009 02:55pm

PU - Slot Positioning

I searched some old posts but didn't find answer to this...Last weekend I was PU and the problem I had was covering the inside slot when the batter was tight up on the plate, squeezing the inside corner and the catcher shifted to the batter's side to close the inside slot. I had no visibility, so I moved over slightly and over the catchers head. Did not feel comfortable there but was able to see the plate. I did see an NCAA PU last weekend on TV in the same situation that moved over to position his head over the catcher then once or twice he moved to the outside corner. Any suggestions? Thanks!

UmpJM Wed Apr 15, 2009 02:57pm

JPaco,

1. Move up and back.

2. Don't do what you saw the guy on TV do.

JM

socalblue1 Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:35pm

Up & back = yes
Over outside shoulder = make big target of ones body & head for foul balls.

JPaco54 Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:47pm

UP and back - it seems like I won't be able to see the plate? But, I will give it a try. Thank you!

johnnyg08 Wed Apr 15, 2009 06:41pm

does anybody ever go up and forward? i feel like i see less than when i move back

SAump Wed Apr 15, 2009 06:59pm

Call Strikes

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPaco54 (Post 596128)
UP and back - it seems like I won't be able to see the plate? But, I will give it a try. Thank you!

Changing height is an advanced mechanic.
If you cross to the outside, go low for safety.
Caution: Accepting an outside risk to make the right call is not wise. Use all options first.
If you line up over the catcher, expand your strike zone {w/in reason} to maintain original zone.
For example, if one works directly behind the plate, then one would have a perfect strike zone.
Umpires working in the slot position make adjustments to refine that strike zone.
So when changing position, adjustments are necessary to keep that strike zone.

If you move at all, try to maintain the same height.
Umpires should not worry much about seeing or not seeing the plate.
Get comfortable and make the call you normally make 8 out of 10 times.
As you gain experience, make the call you normally make 9 out of 10 times
Accept the fact your new strike zone perception has been compromised.
Call strikes {w/in reason} and keep the game moving.

yawetag Wed Apr 15, 2009 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPaco54 (Post 596128)

I'm guessing that the reasoning for moving back is to give more clearance for foul balls and bad pitches.

johnnyg08 Wed Apr 15, 2009 08:29pm

it might be to keep your head height the same too.

UmpTTS43 Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:20am

Up and back is good, however, you must be able to track the ball to the mitt. What I do now is go up over the catcher and slow my timing down. Once you slow down your timing and track the pitch all the way in you should be able to get all the strikes.

cc6 Thu Apr 16, 2009 04:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 596225)
Up and back is good, however, you must be able to track the ball to the mitt. What I do now is go up over the catcher and slow my timing down. Once you slow down your timing and track the pitch all the way in you should be able to get all the strikes.

Shouldn't you always track the ball into the mitt?

ozzy6900 Thu Apr 16, 2009 05:54am

Siiiiiiigh!

When the batter is crowding and F2 moves to the inside, the reason you move up is to gain a view of the slot. the reason you move back it to open the field of vision so the pitch doesn't "explode" on you. You will not be able to track the ball to the mitt because F2 has cut you off. That is not a problem because you moved up in the stance (vertically) and that allows you to see the ball crossing through the strike zone but you will loose the last few inches of the pitch.

if anyone wishes to argue this point, I suggest you find the grave of the Late John McSherry and argue with him on this. Better yet, watch his video and learn a few things. Behind the Plate With John McSherry

You never, never cross to the side opposite the batter. You do not get a proper view of the pitch and it is dangerous to your well being.

JPaco54 Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 596233)
Siiiiiiigh!

When the batter is crowding and F2 moves to the inside, the reason you move up is to gain a view of the slot. the reason you move back it to open the field of vision so the pitch doesn't "explode" on you. You will not be able to track the ball to the mitt because F2 has cut you off. That is not a problem because you moved up in the stance (vertically) and that allows you to see the ball crossing through the strike zone but you will loose the last few inches of the pitch.

if anyone wishes to argue this point, I suggest you find the grave of the Late John McSherry and argue with him on this. Better yet, watch his video and learn a few things. Behind the Plate With John McSherry

You never, never cross to the side opposite the batter. You do not get a proper view of the pitch and it is dangerous to your well being.

ozzy and others - thanks for the input, very helpful. :)

tballump Thu Apr 16, 2009 07:24pm

Quote:

Just ask Gregg Bonin-This was after he was hit with the bat earlier in the year but had recovered and was not experiencing any headaches any more when

"I went to the outside shoulder for one pitch," Bonin says of a practice umpires no longer use. "Cordero took a hack at that inside pitch. I barely remember."

The foul tip knocked off Bonin's mask as it hit him on the chin. Marlins manager John Boles said Bonin "was out before he hit the ground." He was carried off on a stretcher and taken to a hospital.

justanotherblue Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13pm

Quote:

Siiiiiiigh!

No need to disturb him, simply ask Evans or, any MiLB or either academy grad and your get the same answer.

UMP25 Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:12am

Quote:

Siiiiiiigh!

...but you will loose the last few inches of the pitch.

Just wondering when one would tighten the last few inches of the pitch. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tballump (Post 596325)

The foul tip knocked off Bonin's mask...

OK, how long till someone posts that...

:D