The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Question

From the looks I get from players I believe I'm the only ump in my area that requires the on deck batter to remain in the on-deck circle until the pitcher completes his warm-ups and is called to the plate by me. I've required this since the incident (Christianson?) where a college player was blinded in one eye while supposedly timing pitches while the opposing pitcher was warming up. I used to coach my lead-off batters to do this but I've since ceased to do so. Am I "booger pickin"? Is this a good practice? How is this handled under the various rules? And finally does the age of the players make any difference? Thanks! Porch Dog PS... I do primarily FED ball.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 11:14am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Porch Dog
From the looks I get from players I believe I'm the only ump in my area that requires the on deck batter to remain in the on-deck circle until the pitcher completes his warm-ups and is called to the plate by me. I've required this since the incident (Christianson?) where a college player was blinded in one eye while supposedly timing pitches while the opposing pitcher was warming up. I used to coach my lead-off batters to do this but I've since ceased to do so. Am I "booger pickin"? Is this a good practice? How is this handled under the various rules? And finally does the age of the players make any difference? Thanks! Porch Dog PS... I do primarily FED ball.
Porch Dog,
I've never been concerned with a batter timing a pitcher.
Doesn't bother me in the least.
Do what feels right.
mick
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Porch Dog
I make them stay "near" the on-deck circle, but they can come up when the catcher throws down. I don't need to call them up.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

I just checked the rule book (FED 02) and under 1-2-4 it says "the on-deck circle does not have to be occupied, but if a player wishes to warm up, he shall do so only in his team's on-deck circle, provided the circle is located safely away from home plate". (2-23-1) Better late than never. Porch Dog..... Bob, that's pretty much what I do I was typing this when your posting came through. Thanks, Doug

[Edited by Porch Dog on Jun 24th, 2002 at 11:53 AM]
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

If not in the on deck circle, at least make them stay far enough away so as to be safe.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

I work in the construction industry, where knowledge of an unsafe condition is probably just as bad as permission to proceed unsafely. For this reason I tend to error on the side of safety. I always back the batter off for HS level and below. Of course I also check the bats and helmets at the appropriate levels, (or as required).

Before this rule came out I witnessed a player get beaned on an errant throw. Fortunately he was ok, but didnt play that game. He had stepped close to the plate for timming and was then distracted. Turned back around and took the ball right between the eyes. Its probably wise to keep then in the on-deck circle.