The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Exclamation

Rule 7.14 in the Little League Rulebook now allows a player who has not appeared in the batting order to be used as a pinch-runner.

A coach came up to me today and asked me about a tournament rule. He wants to know if the pinch-runner has to play his one at bat or (3) outs. He said that he has received two different rulings from directors. I told him that in my opinion pinch running did not qualify for the manditory play rule. I guess I need an official ruling.

The thing that gave me a bad impression was that the coach said that he only kept an extra kid so he could run and not have to bat or field him. I believe it is wrong when the "all-star" teams don't field a full roster so that the best players can play. It is a large enough league that they could fill the 14 roster spots and still have a good team. Instead, they will probably have 10 guys so they can have the best team. I would like to see Little league step in and require that all 14 spots be filled if enough players try out. IMHO

Thanks
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Talking This is a SPECIAL pinch runner.....

Don't let your coach be confused on this one. The SPECIAL pinch runner can only be used once each inning, by utilizing a player who HAS NOT been in the line-up yet. Naturally, this cannot occur late in the game, as all players must get their mandatory at-bat or three consecutive defensive outs, which then eliminates them from being eligible as a SPECIAL pinch runner.

If any league has an ALL-STAR team in which every player cannot either hit one time, or play defense for three outs, I would really like to see what their regular season teams looked like.

senior
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Senior,

Thanks, I agree with you completely. The regular league isn't bad at all. But coaches think they know best. I believe that what they are doing is wrong but there isn't a rule against it. You would think common sense would come in, but I guess there isn't such thing as common sense for some.
Old Tue Jun 25, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

ALL players have to meet MPR.

An appearance as a special pinch runner does not qualify, by definition as the MPR is three defensive ooouts or one at bat. At bat is defined in the rules as entering the batter's box with a 0-0 count and completing the AB by becoming a runner or being put out.