The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I need help on a project for a class I am taking.

Do any of you know of any organization that requires coaches to pass a test on rules or requires coaches to take classes on the rules?

Rita
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

It would have to be pictures only and would have to have the ability to be filled out in crayon....
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Be nice. I'm serious. I'm proposing a research project to see if this might have an effect on ejections from games.

Rita
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 07:31pm
Administrator

Rita,

I do not know of any StateHSAA that requires its high school coaches to prove that they know the rules and officiating mechanics of the sport in which they coach. I have been a basketball official for 31 years and I know only In fact, in the 31 years I have been a basketball official I have met only three coaches who were also officials at the time they were coaching. One was my high school basketball coach, the other retired years ago, and one is currently officiating as I type this post and I am trying to get him to leave the dark side because he is a very good young official.

Coaches will never go for a requirement to become knowledgeable in the rules of the sport in which they coach because they prefer to be ignorant of the rules because they are quite lazy about wanting to know the rules of the sport. I know that will tick off a lot of coaches but I have had too many coaches tell me that they cannot afford to spend the time studying the rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Rita:

1. In Washington state the WIAA requires varsity coaches to attend a rules clinic. If they do not, they must pass the FED rules test.

2. When I took over as assignor and trainer for the local PONY umpires, the BOD agreed to require the coaches to attend a rules clinic prior to the season.

I don't believe either of these two activities have reduced ejections one iota.

Coaching is an emotional job and often coaches check their common sense at the gate. I've tossed former pro baseball players who now coach over: 1. Running lane violation. A former AAA out fielder swore (loudly and often) that there was no such rule. 2. Balks. A former Mariner pitcher insisted that a pitcher could not throw to an unoccupied base to make a play. 3. Bunts. A former Anaheim outfielder argued vehemently that anyone leaving the bat over even a small portion of the plate after pulling back from a bunt attempt should still receive an automatic strike call.

[Edited by GarthB on Jun 17th, 2002 at 12:52 PM]
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Rita C

I need help on a project for a class I am taking.

Do any of you know of any organization that requires coaches to pass a test on rules or requires coaches to take classes on the rules?

Rita, IMO instead of taking a rules test, a coach should attend a COACHES clinic and an anger management class.

Just like umpires, coaches need to know the proper way to approach Blue etc. In one clinic I attended, the instructors would play the role of manager etc. and then come out an argue etc. to see at what point we had enough. It was part of the game management aspect of umpiring - How to control a game. After the incident, they would give tips on what you did right and wrong and how to better handle in future.

IMO, coaches should have a similar type test if you will.

The coaches job first and foremost (at least in amateur ball) is to teach and secondly perhaps even more important than the first is how to deal with today's athlete. Coaches hold the key in controling a game. If the coach starts, then the players start and the Fans.

The BIGGEST problem is the media. Coaches see Lou Pinella, Former Manager Billy Martin and going back a bit Earl Weaver Rant and Rave, throw dirt on an umpire throw bases etc. MLB does nothing. At least if they handed out some sort of suspension would be one thing, but they do nothing.

Just look at the Alomar incident a few years back. That was a joke. The player didn't get suspended until the following year. If MLB had respect for Umpires perhaps the rest of the country would.

Pete Booth

Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Knowledge Couldn't Hurt

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
Be nice. I'm serious. I'm proposing a research project to see if this might have an effect on ejections from games.

Rita
My first reaction is that knowing the rules is not as important as interpersonal skills and seriousness about being a teacher and a role model. Then I think of last week and my first ejection of the year. Time limit game and Visitors are up with only about ten minutes left. First batter can't be punctual to the plate because he is looking for his glasses. With two outs the fifth batter is no where to be seen. After three "Where's the batter?" I direct the pitcher to pitch and call a Strike. Third-base coach says you can't do that and that I just want to go home. Being of good cheer I ignore both brief comments. On the way in he say's I'm horrible and I say "You're gone." Now of course if he knew the rules he might have said the first two but not the last. However, regardless of rules knowledge coaches should know they can't make their opinions personal without suffering the consequences. Jim/NYC