The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 03:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
I wouldn't say constantly by any means, not even seldom...but the crappy coach's rating is worth just as much as the great coach who "gets" how the game is played. I haven't had to eject, nor do I think this would ever escalate to a situation where a coach would eject himself, he'll just take it out on me in my rating and in MN, where rating does matter whether I like it or not, I feel like I need to consider that in how I approach things.
I stopped worrying about ratings years ago. It is not something I can control in any way. You either like me or you do not like me. All I can do is look good in my uniform, hustle to every spot on the field I need to, get in good position to make calls, have good timing and have good knowledge of the rules. After that it is not my job to be liked by coaches and I do not care if any of them like me. But with all those things I just mentioned, I do not have many coaches challenge me and my ratings (especially in baseball) have been some of the highest I have had than any of my other sports and I have achieved the highest level in that sport and I was not trying to do so. I think a lot of this is because of how I carry myself and what I expect from coaches and players the minute I step onto the field. And often that is not even saying a single word. And an issue like this is so minor and insignificant, if you cannot tell a coach in a way that follows the rule and your judgment, and then you will have more problems than it is worth. I have never had a problem with this rule because I stop things from escalating and if I feel a rule is not violated, I tell the coach that fact in a calm and professional way.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 03:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Easier said than actually done on the field, don't you think? I guess my point is why fight the battle? I'm not disagreeing with you...after all, I asked for the advice...but from a game management standpoint, if you know coach is going to come out anyway...you now are calling time, going to talk to coach, then telling him that "it's not distracting when he says it is" now, in his player's minds...they're convinced that they're all distracted so he tells his on deck hitter to ask the umpire to x,y,z because he's distracted.

I guess I just don't think it's that easy. Esp here in MN where coaches are rating you as part of the State tournament selection process.
They're part of the process here, too. Stop letting it affect how you umpire, it isn't worth the aggravation.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 03:24pm
Stop staring at me swan.

points well taken fellas. the candid, constructive posts are appreciated. thanks!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it is OOO to tell the catcher while dusting off the plate to go out and tell his pitcher to tuck the batting gloves in and thus head off the pending complaint. And I don't think it is fair to the offense to tell the coach it's not distracting when they clearly think it is.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

I've been pretty much line Rut in that if the coach comes to me complaining, I am going to give it a good look and tell him that I do not find it distracting.

However, if the coach comes to me (as SMART coaches have) stating that their batter finds it distracting, the distraction will disappear very quickly!
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 08:22pm
Stop staring at me swan.

right...so do you play word games with the coach or do you do as DG said and just take care of it if there's any doubt in your mind that they're going to say something
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Not on Mr Blackwell's Worst Dress List?

Most pitchers remove their batting glove(s) before crossing the foul line. I would consider telling F1 to straighten up and look pretty. I doubt I would say anything to any other fielder.

Would you say something if F1's zipper was down, a shirt tail was out, shoe untied, white longsleeves on warm day, etc.? I'd want them to say something to me if my uniform was not in proper order.

Last edited by SAump; Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 09:04pm.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Preventive officiating, Preventive officiating.

If you think that it has the potential of causing a problem, take the action ahead of time. Many times I have asked a pitcher to remove a questionable distraction so as not to cause a problem latter and almost always they reply, "oh sorry about, I understand."

I don't have to have discussions with any of the coaches after that either.

be tactful and solve the problems before they arise.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

2 More Uniform Questions

A cold front is passing through the area. Temps fall into the low 40's and light mist is falling.

Would you allow varsity HS players to wear baseball jackets over their uniform shirt during play in the field? Would you use that as an indication to stop the game due to inclement weather?

Last edited by SAump; Tue Feb 17, 2009 at 09:22pm.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
A cold front is passing through the area. Temps fall into the low 40's and light mist is falling.

Would you allow varsity HS players to wear baseball jackets over their uniform shirt during play in the field? Would you use that as an indication to stop the game due to inclement weather?
Unsafe field or playing conditions an/or dangerous weather would be my justification for stopping the game.

As far as the temperature change and mist, I would have to use common sense and judge by the conditions at the time. Take that as a maybe, I would have to be there.

I once officiated a night varsity game that started at 7:00pm with possible showers. (50 deg). By the 5th inning it was misting and 37. Field remained in playing condition. Players were allowed to be comfortable in a manner that was safe to the game and in no way advantageous to their team.

Sometimes common sense has to prevail.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't say constantly by any means, not even seldom...but the crappy coach's rating is worth just as much as the great coach who "gets" how the game is played. I haven't had to eject, nor do I think this would ever escalate to a situation where a coach would eject himself, he'll just take it out on me in my rating and in MN, where rating does matter whether I like it or not, I feel like I need to consider that in how I approach things.

Bob J. I understand that they can never make a rule for every color combination but the rules specifically deal with "white issues"...my argument would be that if those who argue the ticky-tack would worry more about hitting than the hint of white somewhere, they'd be better off, but you can't get in that discussion on the field.

Thanks for offering your thoughts on this...keep 'em coming
You also have to remember--it's one game. If a coach lowballs you on a rating because of a conflict you had with him, it's a) going to stick out when the opposing coach submits his ratings, b) going to stick out in comparison with your other ratings, and c) not going to affect your overall rating much.

If any of those three things are not true, then your rating for that game from that coach is not your biggest problem. I got rated a 3 from one coach last year--it was quite obvious that low of a score was an anomaly and didn't affect my overall score by more than a tenth of a point. Also, the guys at state know who rated you what, and while I can't say this with 100% certainty, I think that they hold certain coaches' ratings in much higher regard than others.

The one thing I would like to see in MN is the overall ratings of those eventually selected--not by name, but just as a gauge for each individual umpire to see where he compared to the state crews. I really want to know if the grading system actually reflects reality, and that it's not a right-skewed distribution, as I suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
They're part of the process here, too. Stop letting it affect how you umpire, it isn't worth the aggravation.
Exactly.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, a regular April day here...

Quote:
I am allowing no less misery on the part of the participants than what I am experiencing at that time.
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 09:26am
Stop staring at me swan.

I would also like to see the ratings of the state tournament crews. Like you said, I don't need to see names, just the ratings...it would be a nice gauge...or a crappy gauge based upon what we would see...
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
right...so do you play word games with the coach or do you do as DG said and just take care of it if there's any doubt in your mind that they're going to say something
this is not playing "word games" with the coach. I do not care if the coach finds anything distracting. He is in the dugout or the coach's box. HE is not playing the game. However, if he tells me that his batter has a problem with the golf glove or if the batter himself tells me he has a problem with it, the golf glove is gone! Why? Because coaches always have a problem with things. You have to know where to draw the line between a "b-i-t-c-h" or a valid complaint!
Old Wed Feb 18, 2009, 12:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

but you said it yourself, it's not what they say, but how they say it...any coach with even a brain my size will know to say that "my player is distracted" if he has an issue with something...so like I said, rather than even make it an issue I will prevent the discussion through proactive officiating. All you're doing by doing it your way is baiting the coach to come out again and say..."how can you allow them to do something that's distracting to my players?" We've all dealt w/ these "rats"...why fight the battle.