The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb The Quick Pitch Issue

I think that skill level of the league also enters into the equation, but there are some things to heed, as suggested by all of our colleagues here:

1) Was the batter given a reasonable amount of time to get set? In not, it's our job to protect the hitter. The rule book gives us the tools to do that. If you're worried about being a "hard-a$$", you can always tell the pitcher to slow down, or have the catcher go out to the mound with that message. After that, any further occurrences result in the balk/illegal-pitch call.

2) Stops. For some delivery motions a stop is shorter than others. The pitcher only needs to convince the umpires that they are in compliance with the stop rule. In some cases, the pitcher needs to take longer to prove to the game officials that he is actually coming to a stop.

Everyone is giving great answers, I think all are valid. But I have to get on the "physics side" of the fence (LOL). I mean come on, every bit of a game official's job is technical isn't it? At least that's what the coaches are saying to me! I ALWAYS respect the coaches' opinions!

Just kidding!

One last thing, don't get crazy-go-nuts about calling these types of infractions. It's the same as out-safe, ball-strike and fair-foul. Just call 'em. The people will react to those calls just the same as they do to everything else we do!
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I think we all agree on the basics here. Good job guys.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your responses. Pitcher did not raise his leg during the stop. Batters were in the box, just didn't get their "practice swings" and had to be ready to swing.

Ed H
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Practice Swings

Quote:
Originally posted by edhern
Thanks for your responses. Pitcher did not raise his leg during the stop. Batters were in the box, just didn't get their "practice swings" and had to be ready to swing.

Ed H
Not sure what you meant by "practice swings". Do you meant the normal swing or two that is a batter's timing device or is there a prohibition, such as Little League, against on-deck hitters? In the case of the latter I always have the player do those losening up swings outside of the batter's box as they come to the plate.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

No the swings that the batter takes in the box while the pitcher is taking signs.

Ed H
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I had an umpire from the CWS explain to me his defining a "stop" in the stretch. Most pitchers will bring their hands together around the chin and settle around the stomach or below, but to throw the ball they bring the hands back up to raise the throwing arm. A lot of pitchers do this "in one motion." I put that in quotation since that is the best way to describe it. His judgement on a "stop" in the motion is that he "stops" his hands from moving down and "starts" his hands up to deliver the pitch, hence a "dicernable stop." Good enough for me given his umpire resume far exceeded mine. Not totally applicable to the thread, but adds a point of view. JT