Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Situation -

game starts with 10 in the batting order,
it later drops to 9,
and then later it drops to 8.

a) is a 10 man batting order permitted?
b) if so, and it later drops to 9 - is that vacated spot an automatic out when it comes up; or, is it just skipped over?
c) are they permitted to later continue play with only 8?

No one in this league has a definite answer.....
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Rog
Situation -

game starts with 10 in the batting order,
it later drops to 9,
and then later it drops to 8.

a) is a 10 man batting order permitted?
b) if so, and it later drops to 9 - is that vacated spot an automatic out when it comes up; or, is it just skipped over?
c) are they permitted to later continue play with only 8?

No one in this league has a definite answer.....
I've done some research on the National Adult Baseball Association for you, Rog-et, my friend.

They use the Official Baseball Rules with local modifications. The answers to your questions can only come from your local league's governing body. They decide whether to use EA's (extra hitters) or allow play with 8. It is different from league to league.

Pretty much all the NABA home office does is help leagues get set up, and run national tournaments. They don't get involved with petty things like the rules.

Sorry I couldn't help you any better than that.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

If the team starts with ten...it must bat ten. If one drops out, then that spot becomes an out. They can do this all the way down to 8 players. Can't go below that.

If they add on to the order, then drop one out, that is an out.

I do NABA, so know this.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 07:02am
Official Forum Member

NABA

I also officiate NABA. While the basic rules are OBR, the use of an EH and DH are optional within our league. If they bat 10 and subsequently drop to 9 or 8, the simply continue the batting order with whichever players remain; there is no "out" for a vacant spot.

They also have the option of using rotational batting, where everyone who shows up, bats. If someone needs to leave the game, that spot simply remains vacant as well.

Ours is a "pay to play" league (not sponsored), so they try to get as much play time in for the oldsters as possible. We also have courtesy runners (the last person who made an out) for any three players in the lineup.

Pretty loose with those rules.

Jerry
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by Whowefoolin
If the team starts with ten...it must bat ten. If one drops out, then that spot becomes an out. They can do this all the way down to 8 players. Can't go below that.

If they add on to the order, then drop one out, that is an out.

I do NABA, so know this.
You see, I've gone to about a half dozen local NABA league web sites. They all employ different options. One league allowed play to begin with 8, another allowed only continuation with 8. Another allowed the Extra Hitter, another did not. Yet another league had a rule allowing more than 10 batters, based on the attending roster of the teams. If one side has 12 and the other side 13 then they both can bat 12 - that kind of thing.

Those rules might be applicable in your local NABA league. I'm just not so sure that they are applicable everywhere.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

and the "local" rules saga continues. No one in the local league has a clue; which, is of no great surprise!
Most of the teams are very obliging, and let the umpire's make the decisions. Just try and be consistent and the same for both teams is all that they really request.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Jim:

Any idea how /where an umpire could obtain that reference manual?????
Thanks!!!
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, if you drop below, it is a forfeit. How can I get those games...easy money, just bait someone into cussing or arguing and toss 'em in the first inning. Forfeit. Let's go home. I guy get's injured - forfeit. How many full games get played?

Seriously, if you bat 12, and you field 9, are you allowed to send up a batter out of order? If so, when #12 leaves, couldn't the team hide that fact and when it was his turn to bat, just send up the next guy and let the BOO rule decide whether you skip or take an out?
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by joemoore
Wow, if you drop below, it is a forfeit. How can I get those games...easy money, just bait someone into cussing or arguing and toss 'em in the first inning. Forfeit. Let's go home. I guy get's injured - forfeit. How many full games get played?

Seriously, if you bat 12, and you field 9, are you allowed to send up a batter out of order? If so, when #12 leaves, couldn't the team hide that fact and when it was his turn to bat, just send up the next guy and let the BOO rule decide whether you skip or take an out?
One game was worse, there were 16 players on the bench originally, but 10 listed on the batting order; and, then players started disappearing!
This could present some interesting conflict.....
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Jim : "Thanks"!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Mills
Rog & joemoore:

NABA National Office
3900 East Mexico Ave, Suite GL-8
Denver, CO 80210

Phone (303) 639-9955
Fax (303) 639-6605

I haven't seen any "easy money" games, as nobody ever bats the full roster. Everyone just plays standard baseball.

I also gave some wrong information. An injured player who cannot be replaced because there are no eligible substitutes does indeed result in an out at that spot, not a forfeit. If this is invoked, the injured player cannot re-enter under any circumstance, even if he shakes off his injury. He can't miss a turn for an out, then come back in. It is an out at that spot for the remainder of the game.

If there is a BOOT appeal, the defense can ask the offense to show the requisite bodies if they saw somebody leave or think for any reason that the offense is cheating.

An ejection that causes the lineup to drop below the required number results in a forfeit.

Leagues are supposed to get written permission from national headquarters to alter NABA rules. Managers are strictly prohibited from doing so.