The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   If you're supposed to get and angle and get set ... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/50768-if-youre-supposed-get-angle-get-set.html)

Kevin Finnerty Wed Jan 07, 2009 06:00pm

If you're supposed to get and angle and get set ...

Why do so many MLB umpires makes so many calls on the move?

And I'm not talking about stepping into the call. They're on the run while they're seeing the play.

tip184 Wed Jan 07, 2009 07:23pm

A lot of MLB umpire's have poor mechanics in general, probably because their jobs are secure so they are free to do whatever they want. There are many MLB umpires who shouldn't be working professional baseball, but that's just the way it is.

MichaelVA2000 Wed Jan 07, 2009 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 565904)
Why do so many MLB umpires makes so many calls on the move?

And I'm not talking about stepping into the call. They're on the run while they're seeing the play.

As a MLB umpire once told me during a clinic: "Until you're wearing a hat that says MLB on it, perform your mechanics as the manual describes them."

ozzy6900 Wed Jan 07, 2009 07:40pm

Many MLB umpires wouldn't make it in a HS association as a rookie because they are just s l o w! But the difference is that they made it to their position in a better body frame and now it does not matter anymore! :rolleyes:

MajorDave Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:16pm

If you ever worked 4 man.....

You don't have to be in too good of a shape. You don't move very much at all. I found it to be kind of boring last year during HS regionals. 4 games of 4 man were 4 too many 4 me. The state check was smaller than a regular season check and I had to driver farther without mileage (crew chief kept it all - what a crock). All that prestige for half the money. My pride was worth a lot though. (tongue in cheek-Grin)

SethPDX Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:35pm

Wasn't it Jim Evans who said something like, "if I went and did an amateur game today I wouldn't be very good"?

The MLB guys are great, no doubt, but we probably shouldn't copy all their habits.

waltjp Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 (Post 565924)

*As of 12/27/07 the original signature has been modified to humor Garth.

Garth hasn't been around in quite a while. Don't you think it's time to drop this?

bobbybanaduck Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32pm

i wasn't aware that anyone read his posts anyway...

Klokard Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51pm

Not to beat a dead horse, but yeah...they may not be in the best shape, nor always hustle to the play, but with experience, they can make the call. I am sure if you were to get a blog of all the close calls that the MLB guys make in a season, they get damn near almost all of them correct. I have been playing the game for some time now to try and get to D1 (College) and I know that seniority is over-rated. But, that's the way it is. Put in your time, and do the best you can.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard (Post 566001)
Not to beat a dead horse, but yeah...they may not be in the best shape, nor always hustle to the play, but with experience, they can make the call.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...uuuuuuce-1.jpg

Kevin Finnerty Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorDave (Post 565962)
The state check was smaller than a regular season check and I had to driver farther without mileage (crew chief kept it all - what a crock). All that prestige for half the money.

Man, first time I did four-man, I was the crew chief and I had to pick up the dinner check.

yawetag Thu Jan 08, 2009 03:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klokard (Post 566001)
I am sure if you were to get a blog of all the close calls that the MLB guys make in a season, they get damn near almost all of them correct.

Here you go: The Left Field Corner

ETA: This only deals with close calls as they pertain to ejections, but still a good place for reference nonetheless.

gordon30307 Thu Jan 08, 2009 04:03pm

Guys in the show miss calls (not that many though) like everyone else. That being said use the mechanics that the powers that be want you to use in the games that you're assigned to. When you make it to the show you can make calls on the run as well. Until then when in Rome...............:D

MichaelVA2000 Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck (Post 565994)
i wasn't aware that anyone read his posts anyway...

Thus the diclaimer: The contents of this post (including any attachments) are non-confidential and / or non-proprietary. If you have read this in error, please promptly delete this post from your memory.

SanDiegoSteve Fri Jan 09, 2009 02:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 566003)

Finally an umpire I'm skinnier than, Bruce Froemming!!!:p