The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Please help me out and let me know if I did the right thing on the following situation.

Runner on first. Batters hits a ground ball to the right of the first baseman. First baseman lunges for the ball. After passing the fielder, the ball hits the baserunner. My partner who is working the bases does not make a call right away. The defensive coach is yelling from the dugout, "He is out! The ball hit him!" As the first base coach sees that my partner is about to call the runner out yells, "the ball was past the fielder!" My partner gets very confused and freezes. He calls time out and comes to me. He tells me that he is not sure what happened, and that he must have been "blacked out." (I am assuming that he meant "blocked out"). At this point the defensive coach is saying, "my second baseman still had a play." I was pretty sure that this was not even close to being true because the ball was only a few feet from first base when it hit the runner. At this point I am looking over the entire situation. I consider that the offensive coaches hardly ever argue a call and the defensive coach is always riding us about something. I call the runner out and tell the offensive coach that my partner didn't see the play so I was using my judgement to make the call. He was not happy about this but he only put up a mild arguement. Much less than the defensive coach would have had we called the runner safe.

Also consider that this was a district semi-final game and the defensive team had the game well in hand. I knew that there was a chance that I would be calling the championship game the next day and I didn't want the defensive coach holding a grudge and riding me the whole next day. The defensive team was also the district host and he probably wouldn't have had me working the championship game if the call had gone against him.

Did I do the right thing?
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, everything about your enitre
post is WRONG. Sounds like your partner was
intimitated by BOTH coaches and just froze.
Who knows if he would have known how to rule on
this play? By the way, the runner was NOT out,
ball is alive and in play (batted ball had
passed a fielder).

The worst thing of all about this situation is
why you ruled the way you did:
1) because of past reactions by these coaches
2) because you didn't want to hear flack
at a later game
3) because the unhappy coach would have put up
more of an argument with you than the other one
4) because the coach might hold a grudge
5) because you might lose your game assignment

Making a mistake and applying a rule wrongly
is bound to occur sometimes. But knowingly applying
a rule wrongly, in a way that one feels would be to
his advantage (for whetever reasons), is basically
dispicable. Such an umpire loses credibility.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ugh. Rolaids time.

Marty is completely correct. Runner was not out and the ball was alive.

I guess my question would be, did neither you nor your partner know the applicable rule? As much as we would prefer it did not happen, occasionally people on the diamond freeze. What I do not understand is why, if both you and your partner agreed on what happened (i.e. ball passed the fielder before hitting the runner) did you still apply the rule wrong based on how vehemently you thought you would be argued with? While I hate the idea of an ump thumbing through the rule book to find the appropriate reference, that would still be better than making the call based on how much you are going to be yelled at. Talk about giving one team an unfair advantage over the other!

I will not go quite as far as Marty and use the "D" word, but I have to admit that I hope there is more to this story then what you have told us here. If not, then this is probably going to go down as one of the low points of your umpiring career. Make sure you learn from it.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm new at this, but my general philosophy is that if I get confused about something I don't call time. I'll wait for a play to completely finish, then call time, then go back and review whatever happened and make my rulings accordingly. If the ball was supposed to be dead, it's easier to go back and rule that the ball was dead at time X and therefore runners go back to some particular point than to find out the ball was live and you interrupted a play when you shouldn't have. Time will tell if this philosophy works out for me.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Harmbu:

Im finding it very hard to belive that the coaches approval was more important to you than getting the call right.

Sorry, I cannot disagree with Mr. Rogers.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

have to agree... making a ruling based on who will give less flack is not really application of the rules. also reinforces situation that promotes more flack (since it was successful in getting the desired call).
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by harmbu

Please help me out and let me know if I did the right thing on the following situation.

Runner on first. Batters hits a ground ball to the right of the first baseman. First baseman lunges for the ball. After passing the fielder, the ball hits the baserunner. My partner who is working the bases does not make a call right away. The defensive coach is yelling from the dugout, "He is out! The ball hit him!" As the first base coach sees that my partner is about to call the runner out yells, "the ball was past the fielder!"

My partner gets very confused and freezes. He calls time out and comes to me. He tells me that he is not sure what happened, and that he must have been "blacked out." (I am assuming that he meant "blocked out"). At this point the defensive coach is saying, "my second baseman still had a play." I was pretty sure that this was not even close to being true because the ball was only a few feet from first base when it hit the runner.

At this point I am looking over the entire situation. I consider that the offensive coaches hardly ever argue a call and the defensive coach is always riding us about something. I call the runner out and tell the offensive coach that my partner didn't see the play so I was using my judgement to make the call. He was not happy about this but he only put up a mild arguement. Much less than the defensive coach would have had we called the runner safe.

Also consider that this was a district semi-final game and the defensive team had the game well in hand. I knew that there was a chance that I would be calling the championship game the next day and I didn't want the defensive coach holding a grudge and riding me the whole next day. The defensive team was also the district host and he probably wouldn't have had me working the championship game if the call had gone against him.

Did I do the right thing?

First off I do not mean to be rude, etc. but if you are going to umpire a game because you want the coaches to approve you for some big assignment, then your not doing justice to the profession.

This is the political part of umpiring and you are just making it more difficult on the next crew who has this team. I hear it all the time "so and so didn't say anything about this" or another favorite of mine "Hey Blue this is the first time all year someone said something about this or called that a Balk"

We all want those BIG game assignments but you can't umpire a game thinking of how a coach is going to react. We umpire the game based upon the rules that govern a specific organization.

Also, you committed one of the Cardinal rules of umpiring Ruling by Committee Interference / Obstruction are not every day calls so whomever the call went against is going to be upset.

If you are unsure, the best thing to do is get with your partner away from the coaches and discuss the situation. One aspect of being a good umpire is to know the rules.

For the most part whenever a runner is hit with a ball they are out Except:

If a fielder deflects the ball or the ball passed the fielder and in your judgement no other fielder had a chance at the ball. Sounds like you umpired a HS game which uses FED rules so apply the "string theory" which says "draw a string around all the infileders and if the ball passes the string (of infielders) and then hits the runner, the runner is not out"

A coach will always want things to go their way on these "touchy" calls, however, it's you or your partners judgement that counts and not the coaches.

Again, I do not mean to be harsh, but if you or your partner are "freezing" on calls and you do not want to upset a coach for a possible future game assignment, perhaps both of you are not yet ready for prime time.

I know it's taboo here somewhat, but Jon Bible who writes for referee, recently wrote excellent articles about moving up and what it takes. If you do subscribe to that magazine, please read Jon's articles and IMO you will find them valuable.

In addition, there are valuable resources at this site also who have written articles of a similar nature.

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Thanks

Thanks to everyone who gave your opinions on this matter. I now realize what I suspected in the first place. I SCREWED UP! I hope that I will learn from this experience and will do better in the future. By the way, I didn't work the championship game anyway and I was kind of glad because I would hate to think that I got that assignment because of my poor decision.

Old Thu May 16, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harmbu

Coaches will be more successful seeking umpires making correct calls vs. homer calls. Although he complained during the incident, he may have been merely lobbying for the call to go his way despite knowing it should not---something not unfamiliar to coaches. Getting lobbied into a wrong call can cost you more than you may realize.

Keep in mind, even though the call favored this coach, if he felt it was a blown call he may be concerned that the same blown call might go against him the next day---especially if he knows his opponent is good at lobbying.

Just my opinion,

Freix