The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Tonight, I was forced to eject a coach when he made a profane comment towards me, not about my umpiring. I took crap from him all night about balls/strikes and calls on the bases (I was the only umpire at a Jr. High championship game). I was wondering, when filling out the papers that I have to send in to the state high school atletic association, how specific I should be. I was told by another umpire to be very specific about the terms for me ejecting the coach, but I don't know how specific to be. Do I put his exact words, or do I just explain the verbal abuse he directed towards me? This is my first year certified and I don't quite know how to go about this. Any suggestions would help greatly.
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

Paperwork

On documentation, as well as in court, it's correct to quote exactly.

Remember, he will be answering to his Athletic Director and will have his side of the story. If your documentation is too vague, he may convince a third party that you over-reacted. If you are very specific, he has to answer to those points -- far more difficult for him.
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 06:50am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye12
Tonight, I was forced to eject a coach when he made a profane comment towards me, not about my umpiring. I took crap from him all night about balls/strikes and calls on the bases (I was the only umpire at a Jr. High championship game). I was wondering, when filling out the papers that I have to send in to the state high school atletic association, how specific I should be. I was told by another umpire to be very specific about the terms for me ejecting the coach, but I don't know how specific to be. Do I put his exact words, or do I just explain the verbal abuse he directed towards me? This is my first year certified and I don't quite know how to go about this. Any suggestions would help greatly.

1) Is the jr. H.S. involved a member of the OhioHSAA?

2.1) If the school involved is not a member of the OhioHSAA there is nothing you can do except to let your assigner know about the problem you had with the coach.

2.2) If the school involved is a member of the OhioHSAA, you must contact the school's principal the very next school day and inform him of the coach's ejection and the reason for the coach's ejection. Tell the principal exactly what happened including the exact words that earned the coach is early trip to the locker room.

3) If you do not already have a OhioHSAA Officials Game Report Form, get one from you local association secretary.

4) Complete the Report Form as soon as possible and follow the mailing instructions on the Form. Restrict your remarks to the exact conduct that caused the coach's ejection. Include the exact words the the coach said.

I hope that this helps you.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 06:54am
Administrator

Re: Paperwork

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Coyle
On documentation, as well as in court, it's correct to quote exactly.

Remember, he will be answering to his Athletic Director and will have his side of the story. If your documentation is too vague, he may convince a third party that you over-reacted. If you are very specific, he has to answer to those points -- far more difficult for him.

Fortunately in Ohio, when an OhioHSAA Game Report is filed, it is not a he said, she said, situation. The only response that a school is allowed to make on the report is what disciplinary actions the school is taking with the persons involved. The school is not allowed to dispute the reasons for the ejection.

Of course, Buckeye12 may never umpire at the school again, but that is another story.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Buckeye:
Why were you assigned to work
ALONE for a Jr High CHAMPIONSHIP game?
That's a recipe for trouble from the
start. I know it was just Jr High, and
they often have only one ump. But, when
it's a BIG game, it's just as important
to those kids and coaches as a varsity game.
And just as tense.

This was not good planning by the assignor
or school, or whoever sent you alone. IMO
(sorry I got off topic, but just wondered)
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

AS an "expert" on ejections . . .

I suggest the following:

1) ONLY tell it like it really happened.

2) Don't spend any time on the actual play that caused the argument that lead to the ejection.

3) Review in your mind one critical thing:

When the coach used profanity towards you were you in a location where any of the children playing or the fans could hear it. IF they were in ear shot make sure you comment in the report that the profanity was heard by children (or fans).

4) Don't be emotional. "Just the Facts, mam!" is a good direction for the reporting.

Old Thu May 16, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your advice. I am a member of the OhioHSAA and will use all of this information today as I speak with my assigner and the school principal. Does anyone know if Ohio Jr. High teams are members of the OHSAA? Thanks again.
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 04:20pm
Administrator

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye12
Thanks a lot for your advice. I am a member of the OhioHSAA and will use all of this information today as I speak with my assigner and the school principal. Does anyone know if Ohio Jr. High teams are members of the OHSAA? Thanks again.
If a public school district belongs to the OhioHSAA then all of its schools (high schools and jr. high schools) are members.

Marty Rogers: Here in NW Ohio, we are so short of umpires that almost all freshmen softball games and a good portion of freshmen baseball games are officiated by only one umpire. Furthermore, there really not too many jr. H.S.'s that play baseball in Ohio.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Thanks

Marty Rogers: Here in NW Ohio, we are so short of umpires that almost all freshmen softball games and a good portion of freshmen baseball games are officiated by only one umpire. Furthermore, there really not too many jr. H.S.'s that play baseball in Ohio.

Mark: I understand what you mean about a shortage of umpires in your area. We often have one ump for the same reason, or they pull us off 2 man games for a rain make-up, etc. If this is the case, and one ump is the norm, then the coaches should put up or shut up and leave the lone ump alone. Before they know it, there will be ZERO umps at their games. And a Championship game is NOT the place for a first year ump. IMO