The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Welll..... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49505-welll.html)

LMan Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:56pm

Welll.....

...Mr. Danley did not exactly cover himself with glory this evening.

SethPDX Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02pm

Yeah, those games happen even World Series guys. He's got to be an excellent umpire in order to earn the Series, but still--tough night for him.

BTW, fashion plates--he wore a hat under his HSM.

jimpiano Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 545350)
...Mr. Danley did not exactly cover himself with glory this evening.

Because?

OzUmp Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano (Post 545354)
Because?

Great! Another apologist. Did you even watch the game?

kylejt Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SethPDX (Post 545352)

BTW, fashion plates--he wore a hat under his HSM.

He also wore one of those collars that dogs wear after they come back from the vets under his deep sea divers helmet.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:28pm

... Ahem... he rang a guy on a check swing and then asked the first base umpire if he swung ...and then Rollins got nicked pretty clearly and Danley kept him at the plate and helped kill a key rally.

I love the guy and I work in the same unit with his big brother. They're both great guys. Kerwin gives a lot back, too. But it was a nightmarish kind of outing for him. He didn't leave on a gurney this time, so it was only his second worst game of the season. Now he gets to hang out down the left field line and listen to all those Philly fans.

Kevin Finnerty Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kylejt (Post 545358)
He also wore one of those collars that dogs wear after they come back from the vets under his deep sea divers helmet.

:D

I just got a rug burn when I fell out of my chair.

LMan Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 545360)
... Ahem... he rang a guy on a check swing and then asked the first base umpire if he swung ...and then Rollins got nicked pretty clearly and Danley kept him at the plate and helped kill a key rally.

I love the guy and I work in the same unit with his big brother. They're both great guys. Kerwin gives a lot back, too. But it was a nightmarish kind of outing for him. He didn't leave on a gurney this time, so it was only his second worst game of the season. Now he gets to hang out down the left field line and listen to all those Philly fans.

I'm one of the biggest 'dont knock it till you are there' guys, but even by most modest standards this was a bad, bad outing. The check swing incident was all but unbelievable at this level... I don't know what happened to the thought process on that one.

Oh well, as you say, he's sure to have fun in Philly. Ce la vie.

jimpiano Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OzUmp (Post 545357)
Great! Another apologist. Did you even watch the game?

Yeah , I did.

jimpiano Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 545360)

I am sure he is just shaking at the thought.

Pensaump Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:40am

I gotta kinda blame the 1st base umpire as well.

He should have banged the guy. The check was close enough to go either way (at least the replay I saw) and if he would have pumped him out it would have bailed out Kerwin at that plate.

One of the few times in my opinion that you have to bang the batter out from the wing regardless. At least in a "protect the crew" mentality.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensaump (Post 545398)

He should have banged the guy. The check was close enough to go either way (at least the replay I saw) and if he would have pumped him out it would have bailed out Kerwin at that plate.

One of the few times in my opinion that you have to bang the batter out from the wing regardless. At least in a "protect the crew" mentality.

Precisely! Definitely close enough, and definitely would have bailed him out of the screwed up mechanic. It was just a fart that made his arm go up, and then Culbreth burned him. Brutal.

mrm21711 Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pensaump (Post 545398)

I thought Culbreth was trying to "protect the crew" with his no swing call. However, I would have pumped him out and dealt with the consequences if I was at 1B and that happened to me.

NickG Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:38am

Not to pile on (although I suppose I am), but did anyone else feel that his zone was a bit inconsistent. There were some pretty erratic b/s calls.

johnnyg08 Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:05pm

he seemed a bit jumpy...but he's got to get his experience somehow...that's how you learn...I'm not bailing him out, but I'm sure this may have been one of his first experience on a global stage...probably a bit nervous.

mrm21711 Fri Oct 24, 2008 01:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 545532)
he seemed a bit jumpy...but he's got to get his experience somehow...that's how you learn...I'm not bailing him out, but I'm sure this may have been one of his first experience on a global stage...probably a bit nervous.

He is a 12 year MLB umpire......

David Emerling Fri Oct 24, 2008 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMan (Post 545363)
I'm one of the biggest 'dont knock it till you are there' guys, but even by most modest standards this was a bad, bad outing. The check swing incident was all but unbelievable at this level... I don't know what happened to the thought process on that one.Ce la vie.

Here's what I think happened after watching it a few times.

The pitch was initially called a strike - that is quite obvious. But the catcher was asking for an appeal on the swing even before he was aware that the PU was in the process of ruling it a strike. If you watch, the catcher appeals very quickly.

Since it is a policy to honor all check swings (but only on pitches called a ball), I think the PU instinctively honored the appeal, momentarily not realizing that he had just signaled the pitch as a strike. In fact, the umpire did not finish his third strike mechanic as he was interrupted by the catcher's prompt appeal. The PU went from "third strike mechanic mode" into "appeal mode".

Just a brain fart.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

jimpiano Fri Oct 24, 2008 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm21711 (Post 545493)
I thought Culbreth was trying to "protect the crew" with his no swing call. However, I would have pumped him out and dealt with the consequences if I was at 1B and that happened to me.

I hope I would have made the call on what the swing/no swing dictated.

Nothing else.

SethPDX Fri Oct 24, 2008 03:37pm

I hope I would have been thinking quickly enough to repeat what my partner just called. If my partner rings up a strike, it remains a strike.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Oct 24, 2008 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano (Post 545366)
I am sure he is just shaking at the thought.

I'll try it this way: Oh, I'm sorry to have implied that he lacked courage. I was trying instead to emphasize how the Philadelphia fans will be somewhat harsh. Is there a code to use to warn everyone that a joke is coming?

SanDiegoSteve Fri Oct 24, 2008 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 545607)
Is there a code to use to warn everyone that a joke is coming?

Not with people devoid of a sense of humor, unfortunately.

David Emerling Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano (Post 545590)
I hope I would have made the call on what the swing/no swing dictated.

Nothing else.

As the base umpire, whenever asked about the swing, I always just rule how I saw it, with total disregard to the fact that the homeplate umpire had called it a ball.

But I think, in this particular case, I would have called it a strike regardless of what I really thought - based on the fact that the homeplate umpire had already called it a strike.

It was clearly a knee-jerk mistake by the plate umpire in honoring the appeal. I would not have compounded that mistake by overruling his indication of a strike.

You have to remember, the catcher signaled for an appeal on a pitch that was called a strike. That is highly unusual and I think that is what fooled the plate umpire.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

SAump Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:35pm

Ke-Zone!

The batter's performance would win an Emmy for good acting and no one talks about it. The batter was swinging at a close pitch on the corner and held up when it appeared to track out of the strike zone. He tossed his bat and ran to 1B, selling it to both PU and BU. It would have looked just as bad if the batter was called out half way up the first base line.

jimpiano Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty (Post 545607)
I'll try it this way: Oh, I'm sorry to have implied that he lacked courage. I was trying instead to emphasize how the Philadelphia fans will be somewhat harsh. Is there a code to use to warn everyone that a joke is coming?

There is.

You missed it.:)

jimpiano Fri Oct 24, 2008 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Emerling (Post 545587)
Here's what I think happened after watching it a few times.

The pitch was initially called a strike - that is quite obvious. But the catcher was asking for an appeal on the swing even before he was aware that the PU was in the process of ruling it a strike. If you watch, the catcher appeals very quickly.

Since it is a policy to honor all check swings (but only on pitches called a ball), I think the PU instinctively honored the appeal, momentarily not realizing that he had just signaled the pitch as a strike. In fact, the umpire did not finish his third strike mechanic as he was interrupted by the catcher's prompt appeal. The PU went from "third strike mechanic mode" into "appeal mode".

Just a brain fart.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

I think he started to call strike three and changed his mind and called for help on the swing.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano (Post 545644)
There is.

You missed it.:)

Well, so did you.

kylejt Fri Oct 24, 2008 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimpiano (Post 545646)
I think he started to call strike three and changed his mind and called for help on the swing.

How do you change your mind in the middle of a punchout?

well we all know now how you do it...

outathm Fri Oct 24, 2008 08:40pm

My general philosophy has been if the batter has a bat in their hands they went. in that instance the philosophy would have worked. :cool:

SAump Fri Oct 24, 2008 09:01pm

Not to pile on

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickG (Post 545515)
Not to pile on (although I suppose I am), but did anyone else feel that his zone was a bit inconsistent. There were some pretty erratic b/s calls.

I feel the K-zone pitch tracker, or whatever name it goes by, has been a bit inconsistent.

kylejt Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 545665)
I feel the K-zone pitch tracker, or whatever name it goes by, has been a bit inconsistent.

Is that anything like "the truth has a liberal bias"?

TussAgee11 Sun Oct 26, 2008 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 545665)

A friend who works for MASN was told how the Fox system works by one of his producers. Don't know how reliable all this is, but here's what he said.

ESPN uses basically the Questec system of 3 high cameras (also the technology used for tennis challenges).

For FOX, a guy in the truck draws a box where he believes the strike zone to be for that batter. From there the comedy continues. The pitch is tracked from a low center field camera, and a guy in the truck basically presses a STOP button when he believes the pitch to be across the plate on the replay. The computer then just freezes where the ball was on the camera at that point and puts a little mark there compared to the batter's already arbitrary assigned strike zone.

Just for everyone's information... :)

SethPDX Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:09pm

I wonder if this is how Questec is used as well. If so, I would not like to be graded with it either.

Naturally McCarver is relying on the pitch tracker when making his pronouncements...:rolleyes:

SanDiegoSteve Mon Oct 27, 2008 02:04am

I don't care about Questec or Pitch Trax or K-Zone or any other stupid mechanical strike zone. They apparently don't have the 3D strike zone worked out yet. It seems to call some breaking pitches that catch the back corner balls because of where the catcher catches the ball.

Give me Fielding Culbreath's zone anytime. I hate it when the umpire has a little cracker box zone because he's afraid of Questec.

mbyron Mon Oct 27, 2008 07:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 546136)
Give me Fielding Culbreath's zone anytime. I hate it when the umpire has a little cracker box zone because he's afraid of Questec.

Both names misspelled now? Not much of a jock sniffer if you can't even get his name right. :p

SanDiegoSteve Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 546149)
Both names misspelled now? Not much of a jock sniffer if you can't even get his name right. :p

You're right, I'm not much of a jock sniffer.