The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool Election

So, my association is holding an election this week for 2 of the seats on the board (2 yr. term).

For those of you who are in associations where the membership votes on the leadership of the association, what do you look for in the candidates?

Best umpire?

One who would focus on economic issues, such as increased game fees, a gas/mileage surcharge, efficient and cost-effective administration of the association budget, group insurance for the membership, etc. ?

One who would be focused on quality training, merit-based umpire advancement, evaluations, quality of clients, etc. ?

Or something else entirely?

Just curious.

JM

OK, so maybe it's kind of a "test" to see if we can all "stay on topic". At least a bit.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:02pm

In my former association, the San Diego County Baseball Umpire Association, it was pretty much a popularity contest. It certainly wasn't the best officials that were elected, and nobody really stood out in any other area you mentioned. It usually came down to whoever was better liked by a simple majority of the regular members.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Best respected, most popular to work with. You know these guys will watch your back side.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

John:

What a great question!

Our group has moved from popularity to people who "get stuff done".

It is a very hard process but is necessary as "umpires" join the 'real world' and need to have 'doers' rather than 'talkers' . . . I think even Rei will agree with this . . .

We have made a quantum leap in our group.

Regards,
Old Mon Oct 13, 2008, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

My advice is to vote for someone who will not keep the chapter stagnant. Meaning, someone who is always looking to improve the chapter whether it be in terms of membership fees, getting higher game fees, instantiating new policies, getting the latest training, getting benefits and perks to the chapter, etc.

Being a good umpire would be second fiddle to those other things, but it's sometimes embarrassing when e-board members aren't the strongest officials.

Don't elect someone who's been around forever and will just go through the motions.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Being a good umpire is important, so is congeniality, but I want to see someone with the administrative knowledge and fortitude to keep the organization running well, make tough even unpopular decisions, and keep their own act together. Possibly someone who has own or run a small business successfully, because this is exactly what being on the board is, running an operation.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 12:29pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Your best association leader may not be your best umpire and vice versa...ideally your assn' leaders would also be your upper echelon of umpires, but we all know that tends to be the exception as opposed to the rule.
Old Tue Oct 14, 2008, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

my .02

I believe being a good umpire is a must in my opinion, the respect of the group that you can do the job has got to be there...agreed though you dont have to be the best, but you better be up there...

The other thing is committment level... My association just went through an election process where we elected a new assignor and new officers...there were a number of interested people, but after outlining the job requirements and our vision of what the job entailed, there were fewer candidates...

Due to some health issues and job needs we basically operated our summer association the last 2 years with just the Secretary and Treasurer and the assignor operating as the executive committee....

We now have a new President and Vice President and new assignors...Our treasurer and secretary were reelected. I am looking forward to the advances this group will bring...
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

From my experience of being involved in a number of non-profit organizations you want people who are committed to do the work. They may or may not be the best officials in the organization.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Head Trauma

Board Members?

First, it really matters what the size and volume of your ASSOC business is.

25 officials group vs 200 and a $600,000 annual business.

After suffering severe head trauma, and being convinced I was not really Abraham Lincoln, I ran for and was elected to my ASSOC board. (Re-elected twice).

Best umpires? Absolutely not important. Look at me.
Popular? In reality it affects voting.. but also not important.

As mentioned elsewhere, the most important criteria are twofold and connected:

Does this person share your views about the direction and future of your association?

Will they WORK?

Why would a person sign up to VOLUNTEER 100s, maybe 1000s of hours of time at 0$ recompense?

Separate out those with a (personal?) ax to grind from those who are simply passionate about their association, its members, and this avocation.
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) View Post
So, my association is holding an election this week for 2 of the seats on the board (2 yr. term).

For those of you who are in associations where the membership votes on the leadership of the association, what do you look for in the candidates?

Best umpire?

One who would focus on economic issues, such as increased game fees, a gas/mileage surcharge, efficient and cost-effective administration of the association budget, group insurance for the membership, etc. ?

One who would be focused on quality training, merit-based umpire advancement, evaluations, quality of clients, etc. ?

Or something else entirely?

Just curious.

JM
In today's times I think the most important aspect is a "go getter" type person who is looking to improove the economic conditions (within reason) of the association especially if your association has not had a pay increase in quite some time.

The second aspect is a person who will make it mandatory for it's members to attend the free clinics that the association provides. Again as with many things on this site areas vary but from my experience the associations that make it mandatory for it's members to attend clinicis put on a better product.

Also, by free I mean it's part of your dues but no extra out of pocket expenses incurred by the individual member.

However, we also need to look at reality

1. Who has the time to be on BOD? If you are going to do it well as Mike B said requires many man hours on your part

2. As a BOD member you can be sued. I know the association as a whole can be sued but it's the members on the BOD who will actually be served. Do you want that headache should the situation present itself.

Therefore, depending upon the situation just like voting for President of the US you are left with the "lessor of 2 evils" who actually want to be on the BOD.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Oct 15, 2008, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

2. As a BOD member you can be sued. I know the association as a whole can be sued but it's the members on the BOD who will actually be served. Do you want that headache should the situation present itself.
Our association has incorporated, so our members and eboard are pretty much protected. I think it's something every association should do.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Our association has incorporated, so our members and eboard are pretty much protected.

Another myth.

Board members of large corporations are sued quite often. Get insurance.
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Another myth.

Board members of large corporations are sued quite often. Get insurance.
Also have that in my hip pocket

Thank you NASO
Old Thu Oct 16, 2008, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran View Post
Board Members?

First, it really matters what the size and volume of your ASSOC business is.

25 officials group vs 200 and a $600,000 annual business.

After suffering severe head trauma, and being convinced I was not really Abraham Lincoln, I ran for and was elected to my ASSOC board. (Re-elected twice).

Best umpires? Absolutely not important. Look at me.
Popular? In reality it affects voting.. but also not important.

As mentioned elsewhere, the most important criteria are twofold and connected:

Does this person share your views about the direction and future of your association?

Will they WORK?

Why would a person sign up to VOLUNTEER 100s, maybe 1000s of hours of time at 0$ recompense?

Separate out those with a (personal?) ax to grind from those who are simply passionate about their association, its members, and this avocation.

This is why the NBUA in western washington is as successful as it is...
People like Mike and others who donate their time so others can work at their leisure and make a decent rate while enjoying the game they love...

People on the front lines fighting for game fees and keeping our customers happy.

Thanks Mike

Scooter aka Nigel