Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

http://www.gmcgriff.com/refonline/ww.../baseball.html

Posted by T Alan Christensen on May 02, 2002 at 14:24:31:

I promised this further down:

In the 1970's there was a real strong three man umpire crew working in the International League.

John McSherry, Terry Tata and (memory fails me on this one) Paul Runge (I at least, think, it was Paul) worked, as a crew, for just over 120 games spread over two seasons. As we know all three became very good MLB umpires.

But I digress:

While working a game in Columbus things got out of hand. By about the fourth inning it was all ready like 8-0. Several pitching changes, errors and heat started to work on our crew . . .

Well things kept going and soon the bases were full, after a couple of hits, a couple of walks and an error the score had increased to 12-0.

Now the story:

With the bases full, yet again, the visiting pitcher walked yet another hitter as the runners were advancing, McSherry (working third), turned and walked towards the right field corner (most likely dreaming of a tall cold adult beverage). He turned back around as play started up again.

As the pitcher was taking his sign John noticed that there were two uniformed team memebers standing in the third base coaches box. He thought . . . "****, why the **** are there TWO ******* coaching third?"

As John started to say something the pitcher delivered the pitch . . . and OF COURSE a rocket was hit to left center. John tunred and watched that pellet drop clearly over the fence and gave the home run signal.

As John looked back towards Tata (the PU) he noticed that 'one' of the third bases coaches was trotting towards home. Now John was REALLY confused!!!

As the runners and batter crossed home plate on the Grand Salami John came down to talk to Tate:

"Terry what the ****'s up? . . . why are there so many guys around the dish?"

Tate simply shrugged his shoulders.

McSherry walked back to his position in "D" but first stopped to talk to the third base coach.

John intoned, "Gees, somethings ****ing wrong . . . what's going on?"

The third base coach, also the manager, laughed and sheepishly explained,

"Well John, when the pitcher walked the guy BEFORE the hitter that hit it out my runner at third came over to ask a question . . . he didin't go home and touch the plate . . . and as we were talking I looked up in time to see the pitcher throwing and then my guy hittin' it out.

"John we actually had a guy on first, a guy on Second, a guy on Third and a guy halfway between home and third when the pitch was thrown . . ."

McSherry just shook his head and said,

"Jesus Christ a ****in' FIVE RUN HOME RUN . . . Now I've seen it all!!!!"

Tee

[Edited by Rog on May 12th, 2002 at 05:24 PM]
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Gee Rog . . .

I expect a "LITTLE" credit when someone steals my posting.

:-}

Tee
Old Sun May 12, 2002, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy my apology" T"

I thought I had highlighted and copied over the entire text - there is not enough room on my screen to view the whole thing message - it should be there now!