The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Appeal (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/4898-appeal.html)

Prince Thu May 09, 2002 11:10pm

OBR 7.10 requires that "An appeal under this rule must be made before the next pitch, or any play or attempted play...If the defensive team on its first appeal errs, a request for a second appeal on the same runner at the same base shall not be allowed by the umpire..."

My question...what is considered an "error". Specifically, in a Pony 13-14 yo game, I had an appeal to 3B for R2 missing the base on a double. The throw in was from F8 to F6 at 2B. F2 called for F6 to throw to F5 at 3B saying they were appealing R2 missing the bag at 3B. F5 misplayed the throw which dribbled away. He picked it up and touched 3B. I did not allow the appeal since the first attempt was erred.

Did I make the right call?

greymule Fri May 10, 2002 06:02am

The ball was still live, so you should have allowed the appeal. If they threw the ball into the stands, then there's no further appeal.

(Unless Pony has its own rule I never heard of.)

Bfair Fri May 10, 2002 06:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by Prince
OBR 7.10 requires that "An appeal under this rule must be made before the next pitch, or any play or attempted play...If the defensive team on its first appeal errs, a request for a second appeal on the same runner at the same base shall not be allowed by the umpire..."

My question...what is considered an "error". Specifically, in a Pony 13-14 yo game, I had an appeal to 3B for R2 missing the base on a double. The throw in was from F8 to F6 at 2B. F2 called for F6 to throw to F5 at 3B saying they were appealing R2 missing the bag at 3B. F5 misplayed the throw which dribbled away. He picked it up and touched 3B. I did not allow the appeal since the first attempt was erred.

Did I make the right call?

The question of "erring during an appeal" came up earlier in the past year when this discussion arose.
<ul>R1, who had advanced past 2B, failed to retouch 2B during his successful attempt to retreat to 1B after a caught fly. After gloving the ball at 1B, F3's teammates yelled for him to appeal the improper return of R1. So, with ball in hand <u>and while purposely touching the 1B bag to make his appeal</u>, F3 verbally appeals to umpire that R1 missed 2B during his return.

While we know R1 is not out for this improper appeal, does this constitute "erring" in the appeal attempt such that the improper return of R1 could no longer be appealed?</ul>
The ruling received was that the <u>ONLY</u> way a team could "err" in their appeal attempt was to throw the ball into dead ball territory during their attempt. In this example, a continued appeal per correct procedure would be allowed. The umpire would not acknowledge this improper appeal as an attempted appeal since it was not properly appealed by required procedure.

Just my opinion,

Freix

bob jenkins Fri May 10, 2002 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Prince

My question...what is considered an "error".

If you'll read the very next sentence in 7.10 (The part that begins CLARIFICATION) you'll find the answer.