The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Game on Saturday, LL minors (9-10). PU calls time while pitch is in air toward plate. I think PU realized a quick pitch and batter has just stepped in box. At this level umpires are dads and assistant coaches and have little training. In an effort to protect batter (my assumption) he calls "time".

Curious on this one. How would you call the HBP on this one. Dead ball or award B1?

I would think PU should not have called time and then rule illegal pitch and assess any penalty, in this case HBP.
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

If he called time it is a dead ball. There is no pitch and therefore no HBP.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, time can not be called during playing action. Batter is awarded first base and pitcher gets a warning for quick pitching.

If pitch did not hit the batter and there were runners on base it would be a balk. With no runners on base it would be a ball.

Apparently the PU was not paying attention, BAD situation. PU should be very watchfull for this and intercede before the pitcher even starts to throw the ball. G.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Sorry, time can not be called during playing action. Batter is awarded first base and pitcher gets a warning for quick pitching.

G.
Question G.

Playing on multiple fields. Runner on 1st. Pitcher in process of delivering pitch. Foul ball from another field entrers playing area, crossing inches from F1's face as he is delivering pitch. F1 closes eyes, flinches and delivers pitch at the same instant.

I called time, no pitch. I would do same again. No problems from offense or defense.

Is it your opinion play should have stood? What if foul ball caused F1 to balk? What if foul ball had struck F1 instead of missing by inches?

Roger Greene
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I don't deal with third world plays. An umpire shall not call time during live action, in the real world. G.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Gee,
This is not a 3rd world play. This happened to me this past weekend. It could happen again as we have several tournaments at these fields this summer.

Roger Greene
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

OK, In the original play the runner should be awarded first because the calling of time did not alter the play one iota. Play stands, award first.

In your play the problem arose from an outside source, Interference, No penalty, a do over.

In the first play we have a controllable internal error. In the second play we have an uncontrollableexternal mishap, big difference.

Please Roger, do the right thing, let spillguy give the poor kid the base. G.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Gee

If pitch did not hit the batter and there were runners on base it would be a balk. With no runners on base it would be a ball.

Apparently the PU was not paying attention, BAD situation. PU should be very watchfull for this and intercede before the pitcher even starts to throw the ball. G.

Gee this isn't about whether we should call TIME during live action or not. We all know TIME shouldn't be called but the fact is is was. When TIME is called the ball is dead and nothing happens except they can correct base running infractions when awards are given.

OBR 5.02 After the umpire calls "Play" the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire's call of "Time" suspending play, the ball becomes dead. While the ball is dead no player may be put out, no bases may be run and no runs may be scored, except that runners may advance one or more bases as the result of acts which occurred while the ball was alive (such as, but not limited to a balk, an overthrow, interference, or a home run or other fair ball hit out of the playing field). Should a ball come partially apart in a game, it is in play until the play is completed.

As soon as the umpire called TIME - the play is killed at that moment. Think of it this way. In FED, a BALK is an immediate Dead Ball, so even if B1 hits one out the park it doesn't count.

In this thread when the PU said TIME - Playing action ended at that moment - No pitch. If you awarded B1 first base on the HBP and I was the coach I would protest and site the above rule. Once we call TIME - Play ceases.

Pete Booth

Old Sun May 19, 2002, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PeteBooth

Peter you said:

"Gee this isn't about whether we should call TIME during live action or not. We all know TIME shouldn't be called but the fact is it was."

Then you quoted the rule:

"OBR 5.02 After the umpire calls "Play" the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until FOR LEGAL CAUSE the umpire's call of "Time" suspending play, the ball becomes dead." My emphasis.

So you say we all know the umpire shouldn't have called time. Then you quote OBR 5.02 that says ....until FOR LEGAL CAUSE the umpire's call of "Time" suspending play. I say it wasn't called legaly.

There are only certain times the OBR allows you to call time and I've never seen a rule that says you can call time iduring live ball action. Sorry, I'm giving him first.

The ball might become immediately dead on a balk in FED but when you quote OBR rules to make your point leave FED to rest. I don't do and never will do FED. In OBR a balk is NEVER an immediate dead ball. Different folk different stroke. G
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Gee,

I do not agree with you on this. If the umpire calls time, whether he should or not, the play is dead at that instant. Think about it. Chances are he called time while the pitcher was in the act of throwing the ball and before he released it which could easily have caused him to change his delivery. So, the umpire could actually be responsible for the hit batsman.

Nope, dead ball, no advance.
Old Sun May 19, 2002, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Dave, I agree 100%

We all know there is sometimes a delay between the request and the call . . . we also know that when we (umpires) see a violation we are sometimes processing the information.

But one fact is consistent . . .

We can call time AT ANY TIME -- right or wrong we can and we can negate any thing we want.

I think Gee is too ridig on this one and go with calliong the time and ending the play.

Tee