The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 276
This one came up tonight at my asso. meeting.
Actual play in HS game:
R2, R3, one out. Batter hits a very high fly
straight up between home plate and pitcher's
mound. It lands fair, and spins, rolling back
toward home plate. It keeps rolling, coach yells
to let it go (appears it may go foul). It is
slowing down just as it reaches the plate. R3
comes sliding into home plate, slides into the
ball, and it goes rolling several feet away.

I don't know if the ball was actually on the
plate, or just in front of it. I don't know
if this even matters. What do you think the call
is? I thought the runner is out for being in
contact with a batted ball, but don't know if
this is correct. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 02:42am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Technically, the ball hasn't passed an infielder. Off the top of my head, I have an out for interference with a fair batted ball.

bob
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:59am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 201
My question would be: Did anyone run around the ball while they were watching it go fall and/or did the catcher come out from behind the plate?

As long as the ball is fair when he gets hit and no one on the defensive side ran around it at any point while they were hoping it went foul this is a hit base runner and he is out for interference.

On the other hand, if during the course of the play, if someone ran around the ball while it was rolling (passed infielder) then it is a live ball and no call. If the catcher came out from behind the plate at any point during the play say to try to make a play on the ball, I would consider him an infielder and then again would consider it a live ball and no call.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 276
I did not see the play, so I do not know what
the fielders did. However, I agree with your
ruling in the two possible cases:
1) the ball did not pass a fielder
2) the ball did pass a fielder

I think if F2 came out, and the ball
dropped in front of him (between F2 and
F1), and then rolled back to the plate,
the ball wouldn't qualify as having
passed a fielder, would it?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
I think if F2 came out, and the ball
dropped in front of him (between F2 and
F1), and then rolled back to the plate,
the ball wouldn't qualify as having
passed a fielder, would it?
The pitcher is considered an infielder if he leaves the mound and/or tries to make a play on the ball. I think the same rule would apply to the catcher if he comes out from behind home plate.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,512
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
I did not see the play, so I do not know what
the fielders did. However, I agree with your
ruling in the two possible cases:
1) the ball did not pass a fielder
2) the ball did pass a fielder

I think if F2 came out, and the ball
dropped in front of him (between F2 and
F1), and then rolled back to the plate,
the ball wouldn't qualify as having
passed a fielder, would it?
Right. Apply NABL 4.5, play 6.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 12:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty Rogers
This one came up tonight at my asso. meeting.
Actual play in HS game:
R2, R3, one out. Batter hits a very high fly
straight up between home plate and pitcher's
mound. It lands fair, and spins, rolling back
toward home plate. It keeps rolling, coach yells
to let it go (appears it may go foul). It is
slowing down just as it reaches the plate. R3
comes sliding into home plate, slides into the
ball, and it goes rolling several feet away.

I don't know if the ball was actually on the
plate, or just in front of it. I don't know
if this even matters. What do you think the call
is? I thought the runner is out for being in
contact with a batted ball, but don't know if
this is correct. Any ideas?
TIME! Interference. Runner...out. My ruling is judged on the pure fact that if we notice in rule books, most rules are fairly broad...and I have a broad interpretation. I picture a ball that has not, and will not, pass anyone. So that is some admirable hustle on the runner's part. That is how I read the situation. John
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 18, 2002, 10:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,215
Soonerfan - read NAPBL 4.5 Play 6 - if the fielders had the opportumity to field the ball and chose not to, the runner is not out.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1