The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

He really did say it

I was calling with an experienced guy for the first time the other day. The visiting team was winning 6-1 in the top of the seventh and attempted a squeeze play. The hitter missed the bunt and there was a play at the plate. R3 slid head first into home and beat the tag on a close play. In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out. There was no discussion. Later in the same inning with the visiting team now leading 9-1, there was a bang-bang play at first with the first baseman coming off the bag before getting the throw. I was anticipating my partner coming to me and asking if he stayed on the bag. Instead of asking for my help he called the out to end the inning. The visiting coach calmly asked my partner if the first baseman came off the bag. My partner said, "Nope, you are up 9-1." The coach smiled and asked if he came off the bag if he had been up 2-1. My partner said, "You bet, Coach." I could believe that he made the call, but I couldn't believe that he actually said what he did. I was just glad the coach took it in stride and didn't ask any more questions.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe you didn't admit yours to the coach but I still find this disturbing:

"R3 slid head first into home and beat the tag on a close play. In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out."
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmckenna
Maybe you didn't admit yours to the coach but I still find this disturbing:

"R3 slid head first into home and beat the tag on a close play. In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out."
I TOTALLY agree with you. I consider this cheating. Apparently, Ump99 never heard of a team rallying, and coming from behind. Earlier this season, the Chicago Cubs trailed the Houston Astros by (I believe) 10-0, and came back to win.

Helping one team, no matter the reason, is CHEATING. I find Ump99's, and his partner's, actions reprehensible. And, to think that he's bragging about it in print, makes it even worse.

Bob
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

QUOTE=umpire99]
Quote:
I was calling with an experienced guy for the first time the other day. The visiting team was winning 6-1 in the top of the seventh and attempted a squeeze play. The hitter missed the bunt and there was a play at the plate. R3 slid head first into home and beat the tag on a close play. In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out.
I get the feeling you are trying to "pull our legs" or "start something" but here goes.

6-1 is not a blow-out game therefore I do not understand when you say "In an effort to get the game over"
The call should be what you saw.

Quote:
Later in the same inning with the visiting team now leading 9-1, there was a bang-bang play at first with the first baseman coming off the bag before getting the throw. Instead of asking for my help he called the out to end the inning. The visiting coach calmly asked my partner if the first baseman came off the bag. My partner said, "Nope, you are up 9-1." The coach smiled and asked if he came off the bag if he had been up 2-1. My partner said, "You bet, Coach."
[/QUOTE]

This almost or perhaps it is a Troll post. 9-1 is not a blow-out game. The mercy rule is not even in effect yet.

In Summary: I am surprised the coach didn't say anything. It's one thing if the score is 20-1 quite another 6 or even 9-1. Again this might be one of those posts in which you want to get a "rise" out of everyone.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

"In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out"

You sir, are a loser. And so is your dopey partner.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Ethics? hmmmm....

-Josh
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

If his partner had come to him for help, I wonder what he would have done??? Probably would have said his foot was on the bag and backup the out call.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
This just can't be true.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

He really did say it

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99
R3 slid head first into home and beat the tag on a close play. In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out....
And you really did do this. Sounds like you and your partner may want to either change your attitudes or stop umpiring.

Quote:
I was just glad the coach took it in stride and didn't ask any more questions.
He should be asking some questions of your assignor after the game. Both of you get an F-minus.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX
He should be asking some questions of your assignor after the game. Both of you get an F-minus.
That's being a little generous. I would hope this is untrue...

-Josh
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=umpire99] In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out.

You want outs that bad, open up your strikezone...
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:22pm

Quote:
In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out.
This is where the trouble lies. You should have called the play the way it was, not how you wanted it to be. That is unfair to the visiting team, no matter what the score is. They made an athletic play, and you took it away from them because you wanted to go put your feet up and have a beverage. I don't agree with this philosophy.

Your partner did the same thing you did, but admitted it to the coach. In my opinion, this showed more balls, even though you were both wrong for doctoring the results to suit yourselves.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel
In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out.

You want outs that bad, open up your strikezone...
Fixed your post.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Wed Sep 03, 2008 at 04:27pm.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Ump99, for argument sake, I'm going to assume what you have written is true. I hope for your sake it isn't.

The only currency that we trade on is our ability to be impartial and be honest. We should be making our calls based on what we see, and not be influenced by our feelings, the game situation or any other factors. I know this is an ideal, but more often than not we do this.

You don't think that this coach is going to file this away in his memory? You don't think that this isn't going to be talked about between other coach's? Once you lose credibility as an umpire you have lost everything.

If you actually have done what you claim in this post, you have done a grave disservice to the rest of us.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was calling with an experienced guy for the first time the other day. The visiting team was winning 6-1 in the top of the seventh and attempted a squeeze play. The hitter missed the bunt and there was a play at the plate. R3 slid head first into home and beat the tag on a close play. In an effort to get the game over, I called R3 out. There was no discussion. Later in the same inning with the visiting team now leading 9-1, there was a bang-bang play at first with the first baseman coming off the bag before getting the throw. I was anticipating my partner coming to me and asking if he stayed on the bag. Instead of asking for my help he called the out to end the inning. The visiting coach calmly asked my partner if the first baseman came off the bag. My partner said, "Nope, you are up 9-1." The coach smiled and asked if he came off the bag if he had been up 2-1. My partner said, "You bet, Coach." I could believe that he made the call, but I couldn't believe that he actually said what he did. I was just glad the coach took it in stride and didn't ask any more questions.
I have seen a lot of $hit talk over the years on this site but this post has to be the worst! It is a perfect example of umpires injecting themselves into the game and (I never thought I would say this) CHEATING! You (umpire99) and your partner should be expelled from your association if this is a true post. If I were you, I wouldn't be boasting about this on the Internet!

Just shameful!