The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

I got my standard view mask with the gray cage at ump-attire.com for $198.00. I relegated the new view to under 80 m.p.h. games.

Wilson MLB Titanium Umpire Mask: Ump Attire
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

It sounds like people are having problems with this mask getting bent. I was considering picking one up next year, because I would like something lighter. I still have the same old spalding mask I purchased when I first starting umpiring in 2002, although I took about four years off and am just getting back into it again this season. Now I'm not so sure about spending that kind of money on a mask that will bend so easily.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

I don't know; I have been drilled pretty good with both of them and there's been no dents at all. Plus, they seem pretty willing to swap out a bent frame.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
It sounds like people are having problems with this mask getting bent. I was considering picking one up next year, because I would like something lighter. I still have the same old spalding mask I purchased when I first starting umpiring in 2002, although I took about four years off and am just getting back into it again this season. Now I'm not so sure about spending that kind of money on a mask that will bend so easily.
All metal masks will bend. Titanium is about as strong as steel, but much lighter (the Wilson titanium is a very strong mask). Don't ever bend it back or you will weaken it considerably.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I took a straight foul ball to my mask and thought, "great, this one is done." When I looked at it, it was just flat spotted a bit, just as my dyna-lites have done in the past. Hard shot from a college game. Am still good to go. I own the new view style for what it is worth.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
All metal masks will bend. Titanium is about as strong as steel, but much lighter (the Wilson titanium is a very strong mask). Don't ever bend it back or you will weaken it considerably.
Don't bend it back, send it back.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMike View Post
It's not any more likely to bend than any other mask. I've taken 3-4 really hard shots right in the middle of mine and it's been fine. If it does get bent, especially this season, I'm calling Wilson for a new frame.

Side note about Wilson, a guy I know has a Shock FX and took a shot that put a small crack in the helmet part just above the frame. Wilson sent him a brand new one and didn't even make him send the damaged one back. They just asked for pictures for documentation.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
It's not any more likely to bend than any other mask. I've taken 3-4 really hard shots right in the middle of mine and it's been fine. If it does get bent, especially this season, I'm calling Wilson for a new frame.

Side note about Wilson, a guy I know has a Shock FX and took a shot that put a small crack in the helmet part just above the frame. Wilson sent him a brand new one and didn't even make him send the damaged one back. They just asked for pictures for documentation.
Maybe I can get a picture of a bent titanium and send it to Wilson.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Wanted Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Maybe I can get a picture of a bent titanium and send it to Wilson.
Would you mind posting the picture below? I would love to see it too.

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 01, 2009 at 06:18pm.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
Would you mind posting the picture below? I would love to see it too.
Might look suspicious if all three of us send the same picture. Kevin, get several different angles - if you can find it.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Mask Review

I've used the mask the entire year. It's very comfortable! I took my first shot in the mask the last game I did. I looked where I got hit, but couldn't find anything which would lead me to believe I got hit in the mask to begin with!

To be honest, I couldn't tell a difference having the shocks, and not having them.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindofficial View Post
I've used the mask the entire year. It's very comfortable! I took my first shot in the mask the last game I did. I looked where I got hit, but couldn't find anything which would lead me to believe I got hit in the mask to begin with!

To be honest, I couldn't tell a difference having the shocks, and not having them.
Shocks? You did know the thread concerned a titanium traditional mask, right?
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 09:25pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Well guys...I think my titanium may have saved my life today. My old mask does not have the extended throat guard that is on the titanium and I got blasted today...the ball mark is on the very bottom of the throat guard and my mask basically flipped off of the front of my head. I can still feel it a bit and I coughed pretty much the rest of the game. I have to admit, I was a bit flinchy back there for a couple innings until I settled back in...My titanium paid for itself today.
Old Tue May 12, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Well guys...I think my titanium may have saved my life today. My old mask does not have the extended throat guard that is on the titanium and I got blasted today...the ball mark is on the very bottom of the throat guard and my mask basically flipped off of the front of my head. I can still feel it a bit and I coughed pretty much the rest of the game. I have to admit, I was a bit flinchy back there for a couple innings until I settled back in...My titanium paid for itself today.
Listen to this man!

He places a premium on the protection of his face and skull. Priorities.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
My old mask does not have the extended throat guard that is on the titanium and I got blasted today...

Is the "extended throat guard" on the titanium any different from the "extended throat guard" on many other wilson (or other brand) masks?

I know there are differing opinions of this, but I would always also wear a dangler -- especially if the mask was just "rounded" at the bottom without an extended throat guard.