The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Base Umpire Hit By Thrown Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/4713-base-umpire-hit-thrown-ball.html)

Blue316 Tue Apr 23, 2002 07:04am

Yesterday in the Cleveland Indians game, a runner was trying to steal second. The throw from the catcher hit the second base umpire and went into center field. The runner then went to third. However, the second base umpire killed the play, and made the runner return to second. Is this the correct call. In high school ball, the ball remains live and in play correct?

Bfair Tue Apr 23, 2002 07:25am

Ball should remain live in all codes unless the thrown ball lodges in the umpire's clothing.

Umpire blew it.

Just my opinion,

night_ninja Tue Apr 23, 2002 07:54am

Note Rule 5.08 of The Official Rules of Baseball

If a thrown ball accidentally touches a base coach, or a pitched or thrown ball touches an umpire, the ball is alive and in play. However, if the coach interferes with a thrown ball, the runner is out.

According to this rule, the umpire did blow it.

Blue316 Tue Apr 23, 2002 08:31am

That is what I thought. Rule 5.08 correct?

Clint Wed Aug 14, 2002 04:16pm

Yes the umpire is just as much of part of the field as the fielders. Just as a batter in the batters circle or the coah in the coaching box is part of the field.

greymule Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:02pm

Wish I had seen the play. Did the manager of the offensive team argue the call?

Hard to believe a MLB ump made that call. Maybe something else happened (can't imagine what, though) that wasn't apparent to the viewers. Did the announcers comment or just assure everyone that the ump was correct?

Tim C Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:58pm

OK

Please note that the original post was made on APRIL 23rd.

It was discussed a lot on other boards.

The umpire admitted that he had errored and this went away.

We have enough "re-hash" stuff (i.e. "Are the hands part of the bat") that we certainly don't need to go back and find stuff like this.

bluezebra Thu Aug 15, 2002 01:52pm

"Yes the umpire is just as much of part of the field"

And that dear people, is why we're considered as dirt.

Bob

Gold_Spark Thu Aug 15, 2002 04:41pm

Now wait . . .

If the umpire is located in position B or C and is hit by a BATTED ball . . . the play becomes dead and the batter is awarded a hit.

Is that right?

bob jenkins Thu Aug 15, 2002 08:03pm

Re: Now wait . . .

Quote:

Originally posted by Gold_Spark
If the umpire is located in position B or C and is hit by a BATTED ball . . . the play becomes dead and the batter is awarded a hit.

Is that right?

Generally, yes.

spots101 Fri Aug 16, 2002 04:02pm

Yesterday a 3B umpire in the Majors was hit by a batted ball. It stopped right near F5 and he picked it up and threw out the BR who had rounded 1B too far thinking it had gone into left field.

bob jenkins Fri Aug 16, 2002 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by spots101
Yesterday a 3B umpire in the Majors was hit by a batted ball. It stopped right near F5 and he picked it up and threw out the BR who had rounded 1B too far thinking it had gone into left field.
Probably the right call (unless U3 and / or F5 were staniding in a spot they don't normally stand in).

spots101 Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:02pm

If this were to happen in FED (BU gets hit by a batted ball while in A position) then the ball would be dead based on 2-21-2 and 5-1-1f(1) OR would it be a live ball because it already passed F3 OR is the ball alive based on the fact that the umpire, in this position (A),is part of the field just like a base. That was the basis of the ruling in the above mentioned play (OBR).

Gold_Spark Sun Aug 18, 2002 08:53am

I think . . .

the ball would be live because it had already passed F3 before it hit the umpire.

If I'm not mistaken, the only time the ball becomes dead is if it hits the umpire before a fielder (excluding the pitcher) has an opportunity to field it.

I'm sure there will be clarifications.