The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Runners on 1st and 3rd with 2 outs. Runner on first attempts steal of second. Catcher decides to throw down to 3rd and catch the runner on 3rd. The throw deflects off the Batter's helmet and lands in the infield. The batter was in the box and made no attempt to interfer with the play, in fact was surprised by the catcher's throw down to 3rd.

I believe the umpires made the wrong call but lets see how you guys respond and I'll tell you later how they called it.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

No call - play on
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

I know that is the MLB Rule but I'm wondering if the NCAA rule is different.

Here is how they called it:

Dead Ball. Runner on stealing 2nd goes back to first and no one else advances. So basically the pitch counts but it's a do over.

It went to our advantage because we were in the field, so I never argued or asked for an explanation.
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by FSCoach

Dead Ball. Runner on stealing 2nd goes back to first and no one else advances. So basically the pitch counts but it's a do over.

It went to our advantage because we were in the field, so I never argued or asked for an explanation.

This would be a good play for Papa C's (Carl Childress) BRD (Book on Basic Rule Differencies).

The only thing I can think of is: There's a term called "weak interference" meaning interference with no penalty. Since interference is a dead ball, the runners return to their TOP (Time of Pitch) bases and the pitch counts.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Apr 22, 2002, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

This would be a good play for Papa C's (Carl Childress) BRD (Book on Basic Rule Differencies).

The only thing I can think of is: There's a term called "weak interference" meaning interference with no penalty. Since interference is a dead ball, the runners return to their TOP (Time of Pitch) bases and the pitch counts.

Pete Booth
Pete,

J/R talks about "interference without a play," but that occurs when the batter interferes in one of several ways AND the catcher is NOT making a play. But on the play in question, neither condition (for what you called "weak interference") was present. The batter did not interfere and the catcher WAS making a play.

I don't have an NCAA rule book, but my guess is that the rule is the same as OBR. Which would be, I think, live ball and play on.

[Edited by Alan G on Apr 23rd, 2002 at 08:50 AM]
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

If batter was properly in the batter's box and made no intentional act to move into the catcher's way, then it's the catcher's responsibility to avoid hitting the batter with the throw. Play the ball, and accept any results of the play. If the ball had deflected to DBT, it would have been a 2 base award from TOT.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Wed Apr 24, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Pete Booth
This is a great example of umpire interference; that is, inability to call the game by the rules. I think I'll leave it out of the BRD, though, for fear some NCAA umpire might read the ruling ("That's nothing!) wrong and screw up yet another game.