Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poosey
Umpires call games because they need the money. They are not in a position to bargain.
You're confusing "need" the money, for "want" the money.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 29, 2008, 04:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I answered the question "why not do them for free", no, I see no reason to delete a correct and truthful answer, mick.
It may be truthful for you....

Some do volunteer. Others do it for just enough money to break even. Others do it for just enough profit to justify it to their spouses, but they'd be better off with a part time job at minimum wage for all the time and money they spend.

Of course, there is always Johnny Paycheck working 10 games on a Saturday, but to suggest all officials have the same motivations you do is a bit myopic.
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

For the poster above who brought up scholarships: that is a horrible comparison in support of your argument.

In fact, its good evidence in support of why baseball umpires are paid less than basketball refs on the Division 1 college level.

There are very few Division 1 baseball players on a full ATHLETIC BASEBALL scholarship. Why?

A baseball team on the Division 1 level can only give out 11.5 total scholarships each academic year, period. (Most teams, having worked as an NCAA compliance officer before going into private practice, split up their 11.5 scholarships among many, many players. So many players get partial scholarships.)

Basketball teams on the Division 1 level can give out 13 total scholarships each academic year. (Major Division 1 basketball programs tend to have the majority of their players on a full ride).

Yup, baseball teams have far more players than basketball teams, but they are allowed 1.5 less scholarships. Why?

REVENUE.

If they do not even allocate the same amount of scholarship money to baseball players as they do basketball players...do you think they're going to allocate the same amount of money per game to the officials of a NON-REVENUE sport?

The explanation for the disparity of officials' pay is simple: REVENUE vs. NON-REVENUE

Hey, come down here to Dixie and see what an SEC white cap makes per game/
Old Wed Jul 30, 2008, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Umpiring doesn't make nearly enough to make a decent living. You'd make more money working 20 hours of overtime each week in a factory.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 08:42am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Umpiring doesn't make nearly enough to make a decent living. You'd make more money working 20 hours of overtime each week in a factory.
can be great extra money/supplemental income...but yep, I agree, not enough to make a decent living. especially up here in MN where we can only work from April - mid August if you get into the State Tournament
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 10:17am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
heh I answered, and it got deleted, ""I never claimed to represent all officials views." And I don't, neither do you, Snacks.
Perhaps you could show me where I indicated I speak for all officials?

I somehow doubt your response got deleted if the above quote was all you wrote. Reminds me of a card game I like to play.
Old Thu Jul 31, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope, got deleted and it ain't the first, Snacks, several simple answers are being deleted. I'll leave it at that, I posted on my blog why in case you ever visit it.
Right. Your actions here do not give you the benefit of the doubt. And, the posts did contain additional "information."

Please change your sig.