The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Tie score, bottom of 9th inning. Able on 3B, Baker on 1B, one out. Charles hits a ground ball to F3, who steps on 1B to retire Charles and then throws home too late to get Able. At that point, is the game over, or is there anything Baker can do (like missing 2B or abandoning effort or punching F4 in the nose) to be called out on a force out that nullifies the run?

Or another version: Same situation, but home team down by 1 run. Charles grounds to F3 who steps on 1B to retire Charles, sees he cannot get Able at the plate, and throws to 2B in attempt to retire Baker. Throw goes wild into outfield and Baker ends up scoring, but missed 2B. Does the appeal at 2B void Able's run, too?

Sorry for using names, but I always seem to get R1, R2, etc., mixed up.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Tie score, bottom of 9th inning. Able on 3B, Baker on 1B, one out. Charles hits a ground ball to F3, who steps on 1B to retire Charles and then throws home too late to get Able. At that point, is the game over, or is there anything Baker can do (like missing 2B or abandoning effort or punching F4 in the nose) to be called out on a force out that nullifies the run?

Game over. The force was removed when Charles was put out.

Or another version: Same situation, but home team down by 1 run. Charles grounds to F3 who steps on 1B to retire Charles, sees he cannot get Able at the plate, and throws to 2B in attempt to retire Baker. Throw goes wild into outfield and Baker ends up scoring, but missed 2B. Does the appeal at 2B void Able's run, too?

Tie game, the appeal voids only Baker. Again not a force out for third out so Able's run scores, force was removed when Charles was put out.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

However, BRD 85-238 . . .

BRD Play 85-238: Bases loaded, 0 out: B1 hits into a 6-4-3 double play. R3 scores easily. R2, running hard, tried for home and is safe on a close play. On appeal, R2 is declared out for missing third: 3 outs. RULING: In NCAA, even though two following runners were put out first, R3's run is canceled: R2 was forced to third at the time of the pitch--and never legally made it. In FED and OBR, because the baserunning error occurred after the out at second, the force on R2 was removed and R3's run counts.

This play seems analagous to my second play above. That's why I'm curious about the answer to my first question.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2002, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Re: However, BRD 85-238 . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
BRD Play 85-238: Bases loaded, 0 out: B1 hits into a 6-4-3 double play. R3 scores easily. R2, running hard, tried for home and is safe on a close play. On appeal, R2 is declared out for missing third: 3 outs. RULING: In NCAA, even though two following runners were put out first, R3's run is canceled: R2 was forced to third at the time of the pitch--and never legally made it. In FED and OBR, because the baserunning error occurred after the out at second, the force on R2 was removed and R3's run counts.

This play seems analagous to my second play above. That's why I'm curious about the answer to my first question.
The key is how you interpret 8-5j EXCP "However, if a runner is put out during live action, it does not remove the force on any runners who might subsequently be declared out for a running infraction."