The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Drake just got Lou again (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/46618-drake-just-got-lou-again.html)

gordon30307 Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:28am

Didn't see the play. I agree first base coach has got to go. If indeed Lou said "you're antaganistic" not sure thats a reason to eject. Also the first time he ejected Lou in my opinion he had no business sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong. If his partner wanted to eject I'm sure he would have done it.

I understand that Drake is a "fill in" for guys on vacation etc. Perhaps he's trying a little to hard to show he belongs. He does seem to have a lot of ejections.

Rich Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307
Didn't see the play. I agree first base coach has got to go. If indeed Lou said "you're antaganistic" not sure thats a reason to eject. Also the first time he ejected Lou in my opinion he had no business sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong. If his partner wanted to eject I'm sure he would have done it.

I understand that Drake is a "fill in" for guys on vacation etc. Perhaps he's trying a little to hard to show he belongs. He does seem to have a lot of ejections.

"You're antagonistic."

Personal. Automatic. Easy.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:42pm

Quote:

Drake only has 4 ejections, which is around average among umpires at this stage of the season.

When Piniella (if this is really what he said:rolleyes: ), said, "you're" followed by anything negative, that is called "getting personal," and always results in an ejection. "You're antagonistic" would qualify as a character assassination in my opinion.

Piniella had been arguing a check-swing call that was originally Drake's call of ball. Fairchild wrongly confirmed the ball call. So since it was Drake's bad call to start with, he probably felt that he needed to do the ejection, and not put it on Fairchild's shoulders. Just my guess.

SouthsiderRoss Sun Jul 27, 2008 03:17pm

Quote:

Let me guess. You're a Sox Fan.

Who cares? Ozzie Guillen got tossed and Drake was right? What are you trying to prove here?

SanDiegoSteve Sun Jul 27, 2008 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthsiderRoss
Who cares? Ozzie Guillen got tossed and Drake was right? What are you trying to prove here?

Actually, in this case, Ozzie was right but got tossed anyway for a prolonged argument over balls and strikes. Drake probably allowed him to vent a little longer than usual because it was a bad call.

SouthsiderRoss Sun Jul 27, 2008 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Actually, in this case, Ozzie was right but got tossed anyway for a prolonged argument over balls and strikes. Drake probably allowed him to vent a little longer than usual because it was a bad call.

Okay, even if Ozzie was right, he was giving Drake crap over balls and strikes. You should never be allowed to argue those as they are a judgment call. I don't let coaches yell at me, I toss them. They interrupt my game and disrespect me, so why bother keeping them around, especially if it is a judgment call?

RPatrino Sun Jul 27, 2008 05:48pm

I have had discussions with coach's like this. One in particular was very 'personal', but we did it very quietly. This was after a pitching change, I was updated the line-up card, the coach was on the foul line and we really told each other what we thought. He thought I was stinking up the joint and I was tired of his moaning and groaning over every pitch. We had it out, I focused more the rest of the game and he shut up.

mrm21711 Sun Jul 27, 2008 07:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Search "Guillen" under the same link that was provided earlier for the Gerry Davis injury. You can read Drake's lips saying "Go back to the dugout now" a few times before Ozzie gets really animated and gets tossed.

Sometimes things happen and the umpires have to deal with them. This is what happened with both of Rob's ejections (Piniella #2 and Guillen). Even if Rob missed the pitch, he still gave Ozzie a long enough leash.

JJ Mon Jul 28, 2008 09:15pm

The next night the sports guys on WGN radio in Chicago said the Drake got "all three of the calls right". Not sure which 3 they were talking about, but one would think that if Lou and the helmet thrower watched the videos THEY would realize Rob got them right, and MAYBE figure he wasn't so bad after all, and HOPEFULLY would gain a little more respect for him.
I was also very impressed with Drake's lack of emotion in dealing with the arrows being shot at him...

JJ

jwwashburn Mon Jul 28, 2008 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ
The next night the sports guys on WGN radio in Chicago said the Drake got "all three of the calls right". Not sure which 3 they were talking about, but one would think that if Lou and the helmet thrower watched the videos THEY would realize Rob got them right, and MAYBE figure he wasn't so bad after all, and HOPEFULLY would gain a little more respect for him.
I was also very impressed with Drake's lack of emotion in dealing with the arrows being shot at him...

JJ

It looks like he got the call at first right.

I think his look has a lot to do with some lack of respect he might be getting. Too much hair is not good and those sunglasses on the hat make him look like a smitty.

Joe in Missouri

ODJ Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gocubsgo
rob drake is thorst ump there is derosa was safe matt never fights like that only if bad call was made wait it was not a bad call it wa s the worst call he made rob drake is a dumbass

He was out.
What, you get your opinion from Kasper and Brenly? They didn't realize umpires wear sunglasses on the field -- for the last decade. (Yes, that was the commentary in the 7th inning.):rolleyes:

ODJ Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
Drake looks like a goof...too much hair and just a little rumpled. Also, the sunglasses on the hat is a very cheesy look.

Joe in Missouri

I'll agree with that. He doesn't look the part.

Steven Tyler Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn
It looks like he got the call at first right.

I think his look has a lot to do with some lack of respect he might be getting. Too much hair is not good and those sunglasses on the hat make him look like a Smitty.

Joe in Missouri

Drake had his shirt unbuttoned and wasn't even wearing a t-shirt underneath. He looked like some doofus who just got off the golf course.......:(

Ejections were righteous though. Sinatro was gone the second that helmet hit the ground. Don\'t know what Piniella said, but he wasn\'t going to be long storming out the dugout across the field to protect his coach. DeRosa knew he was out and his actions told as much. If not, replays left no doubt Drake was right.

swkansasref33 Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:22am

can anyone post a clip of the ejections? i was watching the game, saw the play, and they showed one great angle of his hand being about 1-2 feet from the bag when the ball was caught. I would just like to watch the clips again... IMO Sinatro and Pinella earned em

L.A. Umpire Guy Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:35pm

I just watched Drake call the plate in the Angels-Red Sox game, and he\'s a below average umpire. He missed quite a few strikes, and in a handful of incidents, called follow-up pitches strikes right after balling the same pitch. Terrible zone.

He\'s also not a guy who carries an aire of authority, so I can see why he might have a lot of guys on his back all the time.