The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Legal pick off for the lefties as well?

I'm just on the edge of my seat reviewing some of the PBUC Umpire Manual and came across something that made me think a little bit.

6.5.(i) 'Special Balk Regulations' states:

It is legal for a right-handed pitcher to begin a pick-off move to first base by first moving his pivot foot in the direction of third base provided that he makes a legal step toward first base with his non-pivot foot before throwing there and provided that the move is continuous and without interruption...

After reading that I started to think (I know it's scary), would the same move my a left-handed pitcher to third base be a balk then? As I read it, it would be a balk if a lefty the mirror-image move to third. Would you all agree?

-Josh
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Josh,

No, I would not agree.

I have never seen a LHP attempt the move, but, if done properly, it is legal.

JM
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
if a lefty mirror-images the pick off, as if he goes to first then third, it is a balk, at least by all the rule sets i have used. MLB, NFHS, Legion, Babe Ruth, Cal Ripken. They all state that if a pitcher goes directly to first without stepping off it is a balk.

MLB Rule Book-
8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when—
(a) The pitcher, while touching his plate, makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch and fails to make such delivery;
Rule 8.05(a) Comment: If a lefthanded or righthanded pitcher swings his free foot past the back edge of the pitcher’s rubber, he is required to pitch to the batter except to throw to second base on a pick-off play.
(b) The pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first base and fails to complete the throw;
(c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base;
Rule 8.05(c) Comment: Requires the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base. If a pitcher turns or spins off of his free foot without actually stepping or if he turns his body and throws before stepping, it is a balk.
A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps.

Have seen this happen a few times.. shocked the hell outta me the first time, and I almost didnt call it... based on the rule and comments I would call it a balk. He steps directly towards first without stepping off and he is required to throw.

Last edited by swkansasref33; Tue Jul 15, 2008 at 04:55pm.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33
if a lefty mirror-images the pick off, as if he goes to first then third, it is a balk, at least by all the rule sets i have used.
swkansasref,

While I would agree with your assertion above, that is NOT what the OP is talking about.

Rather it is referencing a "jab step" move. By interpretation, this is considered legal and is NOT considered a "feint" to the base that the pivot foot first takes a "jab step" towards.

It is legal for a RHP to make such a move to 1B, a LHP to make such a move to 3B, and either to make such a move to 2B. It is considered a move "from the rubber" so all "in contact" proscriptions remain in place.

JM
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

I thought it was odd because it doesn't specify the same it true for a left-handed pitcher towards third base.

-Josh