Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Talking BoSox vs NYY - 7/4/2008

please solve me this question,

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...lb_1&mode=wrap

I see in this game an batted of Youkilis balancing a ball on the wall in the left field, and the umpire don't make a call of homer (my personal opinion), but play ball!

the question: in the roule the wall include the over part? or this is out of the field? in the 2th case was homer!

if thrue the first case, if the ball touch over the wall and go out of the field, are 2 bases?

sorry for the language approximate, but I'm italian

thanks

Valerio Pizziconi
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

If the ball hits the wall and immediately continues over, it's a homerun.

If the ball hits the wall and immediately returns to the field, it's still in play.

Prior to this play, I would have said that a ball that rests on the top of the wall is past the front face, and so is a home-run.

It's unclear whether the umpires missed the call (it won't be the first time they missed one -- and this was likely the frist time it had been seen), or if my understanding was incorrect (or, maybe, since the ball did eventually return to the field, it's treated as if it never passed the front edge of the wall). I'd expect some clarification from MLB.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 09:12am

Yankee Stadium uses Universal Ground Rules as determined by MLB. It has no special local ground rules published.

The top of the outfield fence is blue, but I believe for the purposes of the rule, that the yellow line rule applies, which states that all yellow lines are in play unless the ball goes past them.

The closest other ground rules that could apply are that the facings of railings surrounding the dugouts and photographers' areas are in play, and batted or thrown balls resting on the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands are in play. Perhaps it's the same for a ball that rests on top of the fence too.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

pg. 58 ML Book Rule 6.09D

(d) A fair ball passes over a fence or into the stands at a distance from home base of 250 feet or more. Such hit entitles the batter to a home run when he shall have touched all bases legally. A fair fly ball that passes out of the playing field at a point less than 250 feet from home base shall entitle the batter to advance to second base only;
(e) A fair ball, after touching the ground, bounds into the stands, or passes through, over or under a fence, or through or under a scoreboard, or through or under shrubbery,

Over the fence has been interpreted as meaning that the baseball must completely clear the entire structure. The famous basket at Wrigley carries its own approved ground rule, as do other fields were specific approved rulings are used.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2008, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

thanks for your answers

all the best

Valerio Pizziconi